cwegsche
Lieutenant

Pax Romana/Windows 7

Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:07 am

Hi Guys!

Just got my hands on an old strategy game called "Pax Romana". I read that Philippe Thibaut was very involved in this game, to say at least. Have to say I really liked the gmae engine an the political aspects of the game never to be found in another one again ...
Now my problem is that I of course own Windows 7 and now the game doesn't let me install (get an error message telling me the operating system isen't right for the game).
Does anyone in this community own the game too and perhaps someone has got a clue how to run this old masterpiece on the new operating system?
Remember that it ran under Windows XP ... compatibility mode is not an option since the game doesn't let me install it ...

Greets and hats off for this game again Philippe!

PhilThib

Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:39 am

For me it works fine on windows7.... the truth is that I have an old, unprotected version, from an old PC...I did not run the installer, just copy-pasted the whole folder. May be you could try the same if you still have it on the older computer?

cwegsche
Lieutenant

Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:50 am

Okay I think I have an installed version on my old harddrive. I will give it a go, hopefully it does not need some registry-entries to run ... The other problem was always the weired copy protection I think. I will try it! Thx anyways for this geat idea of a game, which would have really been even greater if all concepts would made it in to it ... When I first played Great Invasions I got a feeling that I heard the music and sounds somewhere before :-) unfortunately the political system dindn't made it into the game ...

the_dovlets
Private

Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:16 am

Hello

Can Pax Romana be bought as a digital download anywhere? I read about it and I would love to play it but could not find it in the main digital stores...

cwegsche
Lieutenant

Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:13 am

the_dovlets wrote:Hello

Can Pax Romana be bought as a digital download anywhere? I read about it and I would love to play it but could not find it in the main digital stores...

Hi the_dovlets!

Don't think so. But as I have two original versions (CD-Versions) (I bought this game and also got one as a present :-)), I could sell one to you for a very limited price!
So if you've got an older version of an operating system (everything works as I experienced but Windows 7 and Vista for the installation process only), this would be a way to go!

Greets Chris

anpd
Conscript

Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:32 am

Is the manual for Pax Roman available anywhere? Would love to get it as a pdf or similar.

cwegsche
Lieutenant

Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:30 am

anpd wrote:Is the manual for Pax Roman available anywhere? Would love to get it as a pdf or similar.

I think I have a pdf version at home! Will have a look and pm you then!

anpd
Conscript

Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:31 am

cwegsche wrote:I think I have a pdf version at home! Will have a look and pm you then!

Great! Thanks :)

the_dovlets
Private

Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:09 am

I have windows vista 64bit on my desktop so probably the older version would not work...I also have ubuntu but I am not sure pax romana woul work under wine, it's not part of the wine appdb

cwegsche
Lieutenant

Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:32 am

the_dovlets wrote:I have windows vista 64bit on my desktop so probably the older version would not work...I also have ubuntu but I am not sure pax romana woul work under wine, it's not part of the wine appdb

Yes unfortunately you could be right here :-(

cwegsche
Lieutenant

Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:55 pm

anpd wrote:Great! Thanks :)

Hi anpd!

I found something at home. Unfortunately the pdf is more than 18MB of seize. Do you have an Email-Provider which can handle the file size? Send me your email adress then ...

Greets Chris

anpd
Conscript

Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:12 pm

Hi Chris,

Thanks for taking the time to look! Unfortunately my mail can't accept that large files. Will try to find it in some other way.

cwegsche
Lieutenant

Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:36 am

anpd wrote:Hi Chris,

Thanks for taking the time to look! Unfortunately my mail can't accept that large files. Will try to find it in some other way.

Will search a webspace where I can put it up. Please tell me your mail adress so I can mail you informations, if you still like to have it!

cwegsche
Lieutenant

Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:22 pm

PhilThib wrote:For me it works fine on windows7.... the truth is that I have an old, unprotected version, from an old PC...I did not run the installer, just copy-pasted the whole folder. May be you could try the same if you still have it on the older computer?

Hi PhilThib!

Tried what you suggested and copied the whole Dreamcatcher-Folder from my old WinXP-HardDrive to my new Windows7 machine. Unfortunately it doesen't run, always says system has to restart to finalise the installation, however doesen't work ... He doesen't even search for a CD nor something ...
Do you have an idea what could be done about it? Perhaps you have the unprotected .exe which you could share? Btw I am running (or try running) Pax Romana version 1.02 (the lastest available I think).

Thanks in advance
Chris

pakUploakefep
Civilian

Pax Romana/Windows 7

Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:04 am

Forgive the inconvenience, but do you guys have any plans to announce a firm release date for Guardian Heroes XBLA at Pax? Its genuinely one of my most anticipated titles this year...

Kaiser Wilhelm II
Civilian

Thu May 14, 2015 8:19 pm

I bought this game, too. I'm from Germany. OS is Win 7, too.

After installation, a window opens stating that the PC has to be restarted due to finish installation of copy protection. If I start the exe after restarting the PC, same window opens again (and so on). What could be the reason for this error?

Would it be possible to sell a new version of the game running on Win7 at GoG.com?

Revan
Corporal

Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:37 pm

Same problem here, tried to install my old copy of pax romana on Windows 10 and being stuck by this infinite mandatory restart

PhilThib

Mon Aug 01, 2016 4:36 pm

Impossible. The game is 11 years old, was developed much before even WinXP.... This said, it works correct on my Win7....and I don't use Win10, so I can't say.

Durk

Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:03 pm

If you use Windows 10 emulator the program should work. If this is a new feature for you, run the Troubleshoot Compatibility check on the Right Click menu.
With Windows 7, 8 and 10, you can run games back to dos programs if you set the startup menu to the correct version and open as an admin.
I am playing a lot of older games, including Pax Romana using this method.

Altereg0
Civilian

Re: Pax Romana/Windows 7

Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:07 pm

Hi i am trying to get this game to run on my win 10 machine.

I tried the troubleshoot compatibility and the restart machine pop up still came up. added run as admin and same thing happened.

What is the easiest way to get this game working? i have a lot of PC games i wish to retry.

cant we just edit some of the main files to stop asking for the protection code? i installed the retroarc emulator and that does not seem to have anything to do with windows pc games.

Thank you

Altereg0
Civilian

Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:48 pm

I tried installing the retro arc and that didnt help. I installed the VMware player and station and even though i now have XP as a virtual environment it still get the warning to restart machine even in that. It looks as though both dream catcher and galiea no longer exist either to get a unprotected copy.

Will nothing allow this game to run?

Thank you

Altereg0
Civilian

Re:

Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:30 pm

PhilThib wrote:For me it works fine on windows7.... the truth is that I have an old, unprotected version, from an old PC...I did not run the installer, just copy-pasted the whole folder. May be you could try the same if you still have it on the older computer?

Hi are you ab;e to upload the unprotected version for download?

Thank you

JollyDodG3R
Civilian

Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:45 pm

Altereg0 wrote:Hi are you ab;e to upload the unprotected version for download?

Thank you

You can buy and download Pax Romana now for 0.99 Euro on this website: https://avalon-digital.com/en/dlc/pax-romana.

I managed to get the game running by changing the 'Pax Romana Config File'. I did set the 'Windowed' value from '0' to '1'. So it reads now 'Windowed=1'. Moreover I did change the 'Pax Romana' exe via compatibility mode. I did set it to 'Win 98/ME' and 'run as administrator'.

Now it runs on my Win 10 system.

zakblood
Colonel

Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:35 pm

99% of all older games work with windows 10 with little real effort tbh,

https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4565524

Return to “Great Invasions”