rickd79
Colonel

A.P. Hill

Fri Jan 26, 2007 7:25 pm

Hi, I'm new to the forum, but I'm intrigued by how well this game seems to be coming together.

157 CSA Ambrose P. Hill ldr_CSA_APHill2 NULL NULL NULL NULL 6 5 2 14 General 1 NULL 5 1 1
193 CSA Ambrose P. Hill ldr_CSA_APHill NULL NULL NULL NULL 1 1 1 20 General 1 NULL 5 1 1

A.P. Hill: This seems like the perfect opportunity to rate a general a little more highly as a division commander as opposed to a corps commander. Hill is widely regarded as one of the better division commanders in the Army of Northern Virginia. However, his performance suffered as a corps commander (Possibly due to his failing health). During the battle of Antietam, Hill managed to get his division all the way from Harpers Ferry in time to slow down the Union assault towards the end of the day. It might be approriate to give him the "Fast_Move" trait as a division commander.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antietam

(post splitted)

rickd79
Colonel

Sat Jan 27, 2007 3:13 pm

Looking at the ratings a little more closely, I think A.P. Hill deserves a bit of a bump as a division commander.
Take a look at his performance:
Seven Days Battles: A bit of a mixed performance, but that was on par with most of Lee's commanders during this period (Jackson was uncharacteristically poor during these fights). A.P. Hill went in unsupported, and got his men chewed up at Mechanicsville (Jackson was late), but otherwise seems to have performed pretty well.
2nd Bull Run: Hill performed VERY well during this battle, holding the Rebel left flank against overwhelming odds.
Antietam: As I mentioned in my previous post, after a tough march that saw many of his men fall out from exhaustion, Hill arrived in time from Harpers Ferry to save the day.
Fredricksburg: This was not A.P. Hill's best day...he left a hole in his defensive lines that was punctured by a Federal assault.
Chancellorsville: His division took part in Jackson's famous flank attack

Here is a quote from the wikipedia link below:
Nevertheless, Hill was one of the war's most highly regarded generals on either side. When Hill was a major general, Robert E. Lee wrote that he was the best at that grade in the Army. He had a reputation for arriving on battlefields (such as Antietam, Cedar Mountain, and Second Bull Run) just in time to prove decisive and achieve victory. Stonewall Jackson on his deathbed deliriously called for A. P. Hill to "prepare for action"; some histories have recorded that Lee also called for Hill in his final moments ("Tell Hill he must come up."), although current medical opinions believe that Lee was unable to speak during his last illness.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A.P._Hill

Both 1's for Offensive and Defensive seem a bit low to me.

I would recommend the following settings:

157 CSA Ambrose P. Hill ldr_CSA_APHill2 NULL NULL NULL NULL 6 5 2 14 General 1 NULL 5 2 2
193 CSA Ambrose P. Hill ldr_CSA_APHill Fast_Move NULL NULL NULL 1 1 1 20 General 1 NULL 5 3 3

Chris0827
General

Sat Jan 27, 2007 3:28 pm

rickd79 wrote:Looking at the ratings a little more closely, I think A.P. Hill deserves a bit of a bump as a division commander.
Take a look at his performance:
Seven Days Battles: A bit of a mixed performance, but that was on par with most of Lee's commanders during this period (Jackson was uncharacteristically poor during these fights). A.P. Hill went in unsupported, and got his men chewed up at Mechanicsville (Jackson was late), but otherwise seems to have performed pretty well.
2nd Bull Run: Hill performed VERY well during this battle, holding the Rebel left flank against overwhelming odds.
Antietam: As I mentioned in my previous post, after a tough march that saw many of his men fall out from exhaustion, Hill arrived in time from Harpers Ferry to save the day.
Fredricksburg: This was not A.P. Hill's best day...he left a hole in his defensive lines that was punctured by a Federal assault.
Chancellorsville: His division took part in Jackson's famous flank attack

Here is a quote from the wikipedia link below:
[I]Nevertheless, Hill was one of the war's most highly regarded generals on either side. When Hill was a major general, Robert E. Lee wrote that he was the best at that grade in the Army. He had a reputation for arriving on battlefields (such as Antietam, Cedar Mountain, and Second Bull Run) just in time to prove decisive and achieve victory. Stonewall Jackson on his deathbed deliriously called for A. P. Hill to "prepare for action"]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A.P._Hill

Both 1's for Offensive and Defensive seem a bit low to me.

I would recommend the following settings:

157 CSA Ambrose P. Hill ldr_CSA_APHill2 NULL NULL NULL NULL 6 5 2 14 General 1 NULL 5 2 2
193 CSA Ambrose P. Hill ldr_CSA_APHill Fast_Move NULL NULL NULL 1 1 1 20 General 1 NULL 5 3 3

How about fast move and cautious as a corps commander? I don't think he slowed down but he was not the aggressive commander he had been. A new sickly ability would fit him as well.

Korrigan
AGEod Guard of Honor

Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:20 pm

A "sickly" ability would indeed useful for AACW (and the AGE engine) but I am afraid this won't be possible for v1.0.

I propose:

157 CSA Ambrose P. Hill ldr_CSA_APHill2 NULL NULL NULL NULL 6 5 2 14 General 1 NULL 4 2 2

The 4 in Strat at Corps level should simulate the diminished agressivness.
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference." Mark Twain

Korrigan
AGEod Guard of Honor

Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:00 pm

157 CSA Ambrose P. Hill ldr_CSA_APHill2 NULL NULL NULL NULL 6 5 2 14 General 1 NULL 3 2 2
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference." Mark Twain

cbclimber
Conscript

Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:52 am

Saved the ANV at Antietem...Very aggressive and fast mover as a Division Commander.

runyan99

Tue May 29, 2007 4:06 am

Although the Leader .pdf says that Powell Hill enters the game on May of '62 as a brigadier, he in fact starts as a major general, at least in the April full campaign scenario.

Is this by design? What if I would prefer to use him as a brigadier? I'd like the option.

Stonewall

Wed May 30, 2007 12:37 am

runyan99 wrote:Although the Leader .pdf says that Powell Hill enters the game on May of '62 as a brigadier, he in fact starts as a major general, at least in the April full campaign scenario.

Is this by design? What if I would prefer to use him as a brigadier? I'd like the option.

This is due to an error in the unit file. When the initial Hill unit is created (471CSAAmbrose P. Hill.uni), it is created with the 'ldr_CSA_APHill2' model, which is the 2 star version of A.P.Hill. It should give the 'ldr_CSA_APHill' which is the one star variety. This is quite easy to change on your own. Simply go into the gamedata/units folder and open '471CSAAmbrose P.Hill.uni' and look for the line "ModelType0 = $ldr_CSA_APHill2|1". Remove the 2 after APHill and save. Now you get the regular divisional commander and can promote when he gets enough seniority.

runyan99

Wed May 30, 2007 3:48 am

Since I only play PBEM, I don't want to go modding my game. I'd rather see an official change.

tagwyn
AGEod Guard of Honor

Wed May 30, 2007 4:40 am

K: I would agree with all the above quotes. Little Powell was a striking figure in his red undershirt leading his men, if necessary hand-to-hand without ammunition. He and "Bed Forrest typlify the unbeatable win at all costs mentality which charactersizes Rebel arms!! I bow to them! Larry3

caranorn

Wed May 30, 2007 11:26 am

No Ammo would have been particularly positive for Jackson, somehow I believe those buggers would have recognised good ole Stonewall before they'd have carried through a bayonet charge;-).
Marc aka Caran...

Pocus

Wed May 30, 2007 2:05 pm

AP Hill problem fixed for the next update, thanks for reporting the issue.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Return to “Officers room”