Naturamix
Private

Naturamix(CSA) vs Murtagks(USA) Also Late to the Afterparty

Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:37 pm

Hello All,

Murtagks and I enjoyed our last AAR enough to come back for another, this time with swapped roles. It will be my second time playing CSA in one of our games and his second playing USA. He plans to do an AAR as well.
I of course want to have my confederacy lasting longer than his did and he will doubtless be keen to crush me as revenge for last game. We are both off holiday now though, so I expect that we will not be able to do our turns as quickly as last time.

Obligatory firing on Ft Sumter shot

1_Sumter.png
1_Sumter.png (2.22 MiB) Viewed 217 times

Murtagks decided to print money on his first go. I expect from this and his temperament for him to go hard on Virginia in 1861. I have done a fair bit of unit building there to counter this threat, though I am not planning to rush for Washington (though I have read that rushing DC is the current CSA meta).

Instead I am going completely off the rails and I plan to build all the ironworks (one after the other due to low WS) and see if I can do some convoy raiding and blockade running.

2_ironworks.png
2_ironworks.png (2.29 MiB) Viewed 217 times

The first few turns were uneventful except that Floyd has shown himself to be crap as usual.

3_FFS_Floyd.png
3_FFS_Floyd.png (2.31 MiB) Viewed 217 times

I'll get him out asap, if nothing else just for the cavalry card he has with him.

I want to fight a little in the West. I think Murtagks tends to be less proficient at the logistical system in the game and so I think I would have the edge in the less populated areas of Missouri. If I can threaten or take St Louis MO that would be ideal.

4_West.png
4_West.png (4.08 MiB) Viewed 217 times

I have therefore committed some resources to this area, though not as much as in Virginia of course. VA must take priority given what I think Murtagks plans on doing.

Nikel

Re: Naturamix(CSA) vs Murtagks(USA) Also Late to the Afterparty

Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:07 pm

Just a suggestion in case you are interested.

You may edit your screenshots with this free application, adding arrows, circles, texts, whatever you consider.

https://www.getpaint.net/

Naturamix
Private

Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:14 pm

Cheers,

I may consider it, but I'll stay light on annotation for now.

Naturamix
Private

Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:30 pm

Up to Early August

These four turns were mostly maneuvering and scouting.

I first became concerned when there was only about 800 pwr in front of Beauregard and I couldn't see where the rest had gone.

5_Where_Are_They.png
5_Where_Are_They.png (4.35 MiB) Viewed 186 times

This lead me to worry that there was some impending crazy naval invasion that all forces were being drawn to. I therefore beefed up my Richmond and New Orleans defenses. I also decided to send a few cavalry cards forward under Winder and Joseph E Johnston's stack up the Shenandoah. This lead to a meeting engagement with Milroy where JEJ came off better. Cracking.

6_JEJ_Win.png
6_JEJ_Win.png (2.35 MiB) Viewed 186 times

This bit of probing also revealed that Murtagks had simply pulled most forces (particularly his volunteers) to Washington to reorganise them.

7_Found_Them.png
7_Found_Them.png (3.78 MiB) Viewed 186 times

This may be convenient, but I think he is making a mistake since it left the HF flank of Washington completely open. I have moved up with four stacks across DC's western Flank and if he wants to get anywhere he will need to eat some nasty casualties on these dug in stacks.

8_Dig_In.png
8_Dig_In.png (3.43 MiB) Viewed 186 times

The west was uneventful. McCulloch and Price and both slowly moving forwards to western and eastern Missouri respectively to try to catch Lyon in a bad position.
Last edited by Naturamix on Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Naturamix
Private

Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:08 pm

Up to late September,

Despite the ironworks not being quite done yet I decided to get some ships started in Charleston and even some Naval engineers.

9_Ships.png
9_Ships.png (4.29 MiB) Viewed 156 times

I realise that some CSA pros are probably clawing their eyes out upon reading that, but I do want to try it.

McDowell decided to advance into Longstreet and forced him to retreat, but took more casualties in the process.

10_Shlongstreet.png
10_Shlongstreet.png (2.36 MiB) Viewed 156 times

At that point it looked to me like Murtagks was trying to get around the sides of JEJ since McClellan was coming down from the north at the same time.

11_Beauregardadvance.png
11_Beauregardadvance.png (3.65 MiB) Viewed 156 times

I therefore pulled JEJ back. In the process Murtagks had severely weakened his centre and so leaving Longstreet to hold his line of retreat I advanced with Beauregard. This resulted in two similar victories, one of which is shown, over some union forces in piecemeal, both netting me some national morale.

12_Butlerfight.png
12_Butlerfight.png (2.11 MiB) Viewed 156 times

This left Beauregard and 750 ish power holding Alexandria with about 650 power of union forces cut off from the capital. I'll dig in again here. Farragut's fleet has even shown up and bombarded Beauregard, taking four times as many hits as him in the process from return fire. At least this suggests my coast is not about to be invaded. My division in NO was therefore maybe a little overcautious for now, but I'll train it up with Bragg and it will be useful sooner or later.

13_Eastsituation.png
13_Eastsituation.png (3.46 MiB) Viewed 156 times

Hopefully Murtagks keeps attacking in the east. My strategy is just to make it costly. Assuming no miracles he will take -10 NM next turn, which I look forward to.

In the west things didn't go so well. I have the rail line up to St Louis, but an ill advised attack with McCulloch cost me over 1000 guys for little gain. I plan to send JEJ there once lonstreet and Jackson are promoted in the east. It may require me to mass more forces in Arkansas first if I want to take the city.

All in all I am feeling optimistic with the situation.

Naturamix
Private

Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:57 pm

Up to Late November (West)

We got quite a few turns done so this will have to be split into two Theaters.

The West here basically just means Missouri. My September attempt to capture St Louis with a flanking attack from McCulloch had failed and so I massed my infantry with Price and created a division under Thompson for his stack.

15_West_Price.png
15_West_Price.png (3.32 MiB) Viewed 136 times

Price and Shelby then started cautiously attacking St Louis whilst McCulloch outflanked again; this time across the river to cut off St Louis' .

16_Price_Attack.png
16_Price_Attack.png (1.93 MiB) Viewed 136 times

This was initially a little costly, but with McCulloch across the line of retreat and resupply the attrition will grind Freemont down until I can take the city.

Freemont initiated combat the turn after and must have tried to retreat as he lost his entrenchment.

21_Pricefighttwo.png
21_Pricefighttwo.png (1.95 MiB) Viewed 121 times

This leaves St Louis surrounded on all sides (though I do not control the river) and the city is under siege. It will fall sooner or later.

20_StLouisSiege.png
20_StLouisSiege.png (4.66 MiB) Viewed 121 times

This is great to know, as things in the East have taken a turn for the worse.
Last edited by Naturamix on Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Naturamix
Private

Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:37 pm

Up to late November (East)

Things started well in the east. Beauregard was holding in Alexandria and Murtagks threw several stacks at Longstreet behind in Mannasas. The union also took -10 national morale for this. So far so good.

14_Win_longsteet.png
14_Win_longsteet.png (3 MiB) Viewed 135 times

17_Longstreet_Def.png
17_Longstreet_Def.png (2.18 MiB) Viewed 135 times

Unfortunately at this point I started having some silly ideas.

18_East_surround.png
18_East_surround.png (4.82 MiB) Viewed 135 times

It looked at this point like it may be possible to wipe the stack being supplied by sea in Falmouth VA since it was worn out from attacking Longstreet. Unfortunately I did not realise that it was about to be reinforced. I mistook a brief lull in the force concentration for a retreat and marched Longsteet right onto McDowell's main stack...

19_oops.png
19_oops.png (2.24 MiB) Viewed 120 times

This was not ideal. In the same turn Grant showed up and wiped the garrison I had placed in Harper's Ferry. Any seniority he gains is of course terrible for me.

At this point, with Longstreet needing to retreat, I am in danger of having my forces in northern Virginia cut off by Grant on one side and McDowell on the other. I therefore decided to make like brave Sir Robin and run away. This shock of Grant's arrival with 3-4 divisions particularly influences this decision.

22_Run for the hills.png
22_Run for the hills.png (3.29 MiB) Viewed 120 times

Johnston will get back literally to some hills, Beauregard will blow the Alexandria depot and move back to Mannasas to meet up with Longstreet who is hightailing it back from Falmouth to avoid being destroyed. Murtagks may decide to attack here in an attempt to cut off Beauregard.

Another major concern is that across the Rappahannock I only have one slow division (includes siege artillery) stack under Magruder. If McDowell attacks here he may open a path to Richmond. I have placed Magruder on "hold at all costs" since I would rather lose the division than have it be pushed out of the way and leave a clear line to Richmond where I just have a volunteer division being formed.
I have to hope that Magruder's deceiver trait works here as it did on the peninsula in reality and causes Murtagks to be over cautious in attacking.

Strategically I am currently in a pickle. Kentucky has not joined one way or the other and I have two divisions in Tennessee that are basically twiddling their thumbs (though Hardee is getting them some stars at least with his trainer trait). I don't have the rail points to get them to Virginia. There is also a division in NO, but with Faragut's fleet on the Potomac shooting at Beauregard this seems like a waste. If Kentucky starts leaning towards the Union I will invade it and thereby open up a new front that I am pretty sure Murtagks has stripped clean to provide troops for his advance on Richmond. If I can get behind the Rappahannock and hold then maybe I can rout some stacks and put me in a better position for a spring offensive in 1862.

Naturamix
Private

Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:44 pm

Up to Late Jan 1862,

December followed much the same pattern as before; good results in the West, terrible in the East.

A little ray of sunshine hit the CSA as Price managed to storm St Louis. This adds a city the same size as New Orleans with even higher loyalty to the CSA. It should be much easier to hold than it was to take. My build up in Missouri has paid off

25_StLouis_Taken.png
25_StLouis_Taken.png (4.64 MiB) Viewed 118 times

Previously in the East I was attempting to disentangle Longstreet from McDowell.

As predicted McDowell followed him and caught him without Beauregard's stack coming to help

23_Longstreets stack dead.png
23_Longstreets stack dead.png (1.58 MiB) Viewed 118 times

This defeat is even worse than the last one and I simply had to pull Longstreet back (after stripping it of useful artillery to give to Beauregard).

Next turn McDowell also pushed Beauregard off Manassas taking fewer casualties than me in the process.

26_East_Defeat.png
26_East_Defeat.png (1.8 MiB) Viewed 118 times

This left Beauregard and Johnston on the same tile with only Magruder's 1 division stack in the way of Richmond.
I have to commend Murtagks on how well he exploited his victory against Longstreet in those turns.

However in the turn after Murtagks amazingly did not press the attack! This is despite having Grant's western stack with McDowell and about a 2:1 advantage. This was exactly the pause I needed to reorganise my Virginian defenses, reinforce Longstreet's depleted brigades and railroad my New Orleans division up from LA. I am gambling that with Farragut's fleet damaged by the Virginia campaign he will not be landing in NO for at least a few more weeks. Hopefully this will give me time to build a new LA division under Ruggles.
Furthermore Longstreet and Jackson have been promoted by event now. Jackson will take over from Johnston with Bragg getting his old division and a reinforced Longstreet will defend Fredericksburg with two divisions. All other forces went to Beauregard who can now match Grant in numbers.

27_Breath.png
27_Breath.png (3.36 MiB) Viewed 118 times

Murtagks is now down at 60 NM because he decided to catapult Grant up to army command. I don't think he realised that the NM cost would be quite so high. I am just over 100 after my string of defeats.

In Northern Virginia I will hold firm until Lee arrives and see if I can deal 20 NM damage from blocking Murtagks from fulfilling the "Onto Richmond" events. I am sending Magruder with his siege guns to have a go at Ft Monroe, I want to cover my flank and even if Murtagks blocks me it will delay his naval assets from being able to invade somewhere else along the CSA cost.

Hoping for a strong 1862 start.

Naturamix
Private

Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:10 pm

Up to Late Feb 1862

The Confederacy had a decent couple of rounds.

In the Missouri no forces have turned up to challenge Price's control of St Louis. His division can stay here to guard it. The elite Missouri brigade has spawned and will serve as the bedrock of a new Division I am forming there that will likely be sent to ABS Johnston when Kentucky is in play. Shelby and Dorn are going into Illinois to destroy the depots, plunder the towns and rip up the railroads. I want to make it logistically difficult to use Illinois as a future staging post to counter attack my conquest of St Louis, but I'm not going to march on Chicago just yet (though I may in future).

28_Wreck_West.png
28_Wreck_West.png (4.09 MiB) Viewed 101 times

In the East Grant walked into Jackson's two divisions. Considering the numerical odds Jackson did very well.

29_JAckson_firstvictory.png
29_JAckson_firstvictory.png (2.35 MiB) Viewed 101 times

This is exactly the type of battle I want to fight; offsetting the Union numerical advantage with tough terrain and entrenchment to cause maximum casualties. Jackson retreated to Beauregard after the battle.

Murtagks then launched his first Western Theater offensive of the war. Farragut, now disengaged from Virginia, forced his way up the Mississippi and dropped Butler off just south of New Orleans. I will try to engage him next turn with my ironclad fleet (which failed to engage on the way in).

30_Butler_Landed.png
30_Butler_Landed.png (2.99 MiB) Viewed 101 times

Ruggles' division is largely militia and not quite ready (waiting on some artillery and zouaves). I don't think it can stand up to the two divisions that have landed under Butler. To counter this threat I am redeploying J Johnston (now that he is not needed in Virginia) to NO to take command of this stack. I will give him an army command as he is the most Senior CSA general currently and needs to be given something before Lee in any case. I am also railroading Hardee's division (from ABS Johnston's army in Tennessee) down to reinforce the defense. In the meantime Ruggles is on "hold at all cost" and I have to hope that Butler can't move fast enough to engage before the reinforcements and commander arrive.

Hopefully I am not about to regret my decision of sending one of my LA divisions up to reinforce Beauregard...

In Virginia Things look quite stable after the scuffle with Grant. Magruder has arrived outside Ft Monroe. I'll try mining it and storming it when he has cohesion back. He has siege artillery with him so I am hoping that he can take the fort.

31_Virginia.png
31_Virginia.png (3.63 MiB) Viewed 100 times

I am sending Jackson to the Shenandoah by the southern entrance. I am hoping that some historical play here will be quite effective.
I know from playing Murtagks in the past that he tends to be easily baited by distractions and so 2 divisions under Jackson running round the Shenandoah might be able to tie down a disproportionate number of federal troops (as it did historically).

In terms of buildup along with the previously mention Missouri division I have new divisions being built in Georgia, Alabama, an Virginia. I am also trying to find the resources for some more troops to fill out divisions based around the texas brigade and orphan brigade that have just spawned in Richmond and Nashville respectively. With new fronts opening up I am beginning to think I may want to be more cautious in Kentucky than I originally planned.

At sea my blockade runners have been getting me over 20 WS per turn which is great! I am looking forward to my steam frigates being ready in a few months. Murtagks seems to have death-stacked his ships into Farraguts fleet and his merchants and transports in the shipping lanes are looking undefended. I have built more ships as manpower seems to be my main limiting factor on land.

Naturamix
Private

Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:06 pm

Up to Early April 1862,

The pace of the war has picked up.

In the West there are now six divisions bearing down on St Louis Missori in three detatchments: P Kearny, H Berry and A Whipple. This is of some concern. I guess that new elite Missouri division will be staying at home after all. Price is still senior...
I have also seen Sherman in Cairo with two divisions. I hope he walks into the Swamps of Arkansas and gets stuck.

32_West_Opposition.png
32_West_Opposition.png (4.06 MiB) Viewed 92 times

One major problem in this theater is the lack of a three star general. I want to send JE Johnston there, but he has been busy.

Specifically JEJ has been busy in New Orleans.

33_Butleroops.png
33_Butleroops.png (3.27 MiB) Viewed 92 times

Butler started marching towards NO, but then found himself without cohesion due to the swampy location he landed in and facing two divisions (Hardee arrived) under JEJ. Murtagks didn't fancy the odds and re-embarked Butler.
Coward!

I engaged Farragut's fleet unsuccessfully

34_Naval_Fail.png
34_Naval_Fail.png (2.01 MiB) Viewed 92 times

It's surprising how much national morale I lost. I will try again next turn. Farragut has been at sea for a long time and his cohesion must be low by now. If Butler just leaves JEJ can get over to Missouri asap and leave the two divisions under Hardee and Ruggles to mop up. I also placed out militia in the coastal areas to prevent him from landing sailors to capture undefended ports.

My own steam ships are beginning to be finished. I will be checking the defenses on the union merchants very soon with steam frigates.

Another big event was that Kentucky joined the union.

ABS Johnston has two very light divisions that will make a dash for Louisville. With his large concentrations in the east and west I am hoping that Murtagks has left the center weak, as he did in our last game. The newly trained division from Alabama will join ABS whilst the newly mobilised Georgians can head up to Virginia, where reinforcement is definitely needed. McCulloch has the cavalry with Forrest commanding a division under him for now.

36_Kentucky.png
36_Kentucky.png (4.66 MiB) Viewed 92 times

Grant finally decided to attack PGT Beauregard with Longstreet marching to the sound of the guns (MSG).

35_BattleofCulpeper.png
35_BattleofCulpeper.png (2.54 MiB) Viewed 92 times

I am glad it was a victory, but I was hoping for better results against a frontal attack. I am guessing that the union guns hit me hard. There is 3000 more union power in the Shenandoah and I hope they fruitlessly chase after Jackson.
Grant will have to attack again eventually or retreat as I still control the region's supply flow.

My landmine in Ft Monroe has made a breach so I will be storming that next turn and then the main objective is to hold the union back from the Richmond area. If Murtagks eats -20 NM from the two events this year he will be very close to defeat.

Naturamix
Private

Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:15 pm

Up to early July 1862 (The East)

Virginia has not featured any large battles, instead we have largely been manoeuvering around one another.

I did initially take Ft Monroe with my siege gun stack.

37_FT_Monroe.png
37_FT_Monroe.png (1.96 MiB) Viewed 29 times

This is nice as it lifts the close blockade on Richmond and makes any peninsular campaign more difficult for Murtagks to undertake.

In the naval department my steam frigates have started coming out of the dry docks.

38_CSSMarion.png
38_CSSMarion.png (4.12 MiB) Viewed 29 times

The steam frigates in the shipping lanes have increased the sinking of union shipping about five-fold. This is still only about 10 each of WS and money per turn, but hopefully I can soon start sinking the merchant ship stack outright.

My blockade runners are still doing good work getting me about 15 money and WS extra per turn.

In the Shenandoah I ran up to HF with Jackson.

39_Virginia_situation.png
39_Virginia_situation.png (4.42 MiB) Viewed 29 times

From there Murtagks tried to trap him, but he is simply too fast and can just run around them. This resulted in a little scrap with McDowell.

41_Little Engagement.png
41_Little Engagement.png (2.31 MiB) Viewed 29 times

With my Corps from Ft Monroe back in Northern Virginia I can now defend along the Rappahannock and simply wait for the Union offensive. I may try something a little more aggressive if he makes a failed assault. He needs to move sooner or later. Otherwise 20 NM will be knocked off the union later in the year.

R E Lee is now in command of the Army of Northern Virginia.

40_RELEE.png
40_RELEE.png (3.62 MiB) Viewed 29 times

Beauregard is keeping his army command, but is now railroading down to NO. He will be my firefighter for dangerous Union Amphibious invasions.

Naturamix
Private

Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:33 pm

Up to Early July 1862 West

As soon as Kentucky seceded ABSJ railroaded up to Louisville and took it. :dada:

Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on the theater) Grant has now been brought back from Virginia and got behind ABS, in an attempt to trap him. H Berry and A Whipple are no longer hovering around St Louis in Western Illinois so this Kentucky invasion is at least proving to be a good diversion. They are now both Corps under Grant so attacking them piecemeal with ABSJ would be difficult as Grant can march to the sound of the guns.

42_ABSJ_trapped.png
42_ABSJ_trapped.png (2.84 MiB) Viewed 26 times

Instead of marching into the encircling units I will hop across the Ohio river and get back to friendly territory downstream. Failing that I can just river transport them out. My NO fleet has made its way up river to support.

The fact that St Louis is no longer under direct threat has freed up My stack there for a rather nice bit of manoeuver warfare.

Sherman decided to chase a very light Arkansas division under D Maury all the way to the supply depot I built in Popular Bluff.

43_Sherman.png
43_Sherman.png (2 MiB) Viewed 26 times

He took the town, but it put him in a perfect position to be attacked by JEJ, who has just arrived in Missouri after forcing Butler to abort his invasion of NO.

I railroaded JE Johnston down to meet Sherman and the resulting engagement was a resounding victory.

45_Wrecked.png
45_Wrecked.png (2.04 MiB) Viewed 26 times

Furthermore D Maury and Breckenridge (with the Arkansas volunteer stack) are moving around the Flanks of Sherman's depleted stack to cut him off from Cairo.

44_Trap_sherman.png
44_Trap_sherman.png (3.5 MiB) Viewed 26 times

JE Johnston will pursue Sherman and hopefully crush the remaining 10 000 men in the wilderness of eastern Missouri.

A very favourable set of turns for the Confederacy.

Return to “CW2 AARs”