Turbo823
Captain

Patch 1.13d needs a patch :)

Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:18 pm

The battle results are not showing. Hopefully I can install an older patch that works.

Pocus

Thu Apr 03, 2008 4:26 pm

d0mbo wrote:hrrrrmmm... unfortunately i've run into a problem: the text saying i have won or lost has gone in the battle report window? Anyone else has this hapen?

This can happen if your Windows don't register properly a font. Copy the file BOA\fonts\Cheboyga.ttf in Windows\Fonts

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Pocus

Thu Apr 03, 2008 4:27 pm

Turbo823 wrote:The battle results are not showing. Hopefully I can install an older patch that works.

Not at all or you are missing some fonts?

It works well usually, this has been extensively tested. Does the problem affects all your battles or only some?

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

d0mbo
Private

Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:59 pm

Hi Pocus,

Restarting the computer did the trick for me, but thanks for the reply.

On another note: is the training of regiments supposed to be completely random? It seems my most remote garnisons are trained to crack infantry, whilst my main armies are not (playing as americans).

I hope my training officers will have some effect in the next BoA (or patch).

d0mbo.

Pocus

Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:07 pm

units have a base chance to upgrade, but the more experienced have greater chances. Leaders are also very useful. You can always get some weirdness on a particular game, sure.

Turbo823
Captain

Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:37 pm

Pocus wrote:Not at all or you are missing some fonts?

It works well usually, this has been extensively tested. Does the problem affects all your battles or only some?

Just blank space, no fonts, nothing. I notice that in the very previous post to mine, another person had the same issue.

orca
Lieutenant

Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:35 am

Pocus wrote:units have a base chance to upgrade, but the more experienced have greater chances. Leaders are also very useful. You can always get some weirdness on a particular game, sure.

I don't think so. I think it's still bugged. I do get training almost every turn for units stacked with Washington and/or Wayne (when they don't move). But almost every turn I also get one of the fixed garrisons training up (the one that only have two elements and exist only to guard their little forts). I can't believe this is WAD, and if it is I think it's a crazy design decision.

lodilefty

Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:19 am

orca wrote:I don't think so. I think it's still bugged. I do get training almost every turn for units stacked with Washington and/or Wayne (when they don't move). But almost every turn I also get one of the fixed garrisons training up (the one that only have two elements and exist only to guard their little forts). I can't believe this is WAD, and if it is I think it's a crazy design decision.

Is it all the garrisons? While 'migrating' to WA, I found some garrisons with experience = 1, which would make them 'autoupgrade', but I haven't run the scnarios enough to see whether 'fixing' that cured it.

In the BoA DB, the Pittsburgh and Boonesboro garrisonse are = 1 for 75 scenarios....
Always ask yourself: "Am I part of the Solution?" If you aren't, then you are part of the Problem!
[CENTER][/CENTER]
[CENTER]Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Rules for new members[/CENTER]
[CENTER]Forum Rules[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Help desk: support@slitherine.co.uk[/CENTER]

Pocus

Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:02 pm

Turbo823 wrote:Just blank space, no fonts, nothing. I notice that in the very previous post to mine, another person had the same issue.

So ...

This can happen if your Windows don't register properly a font. Copy the file BOA\fonts\Cheboyga.ttf in Windows\Fonts

Turbo823
Captain

Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:27 pm

Pocus wrote:So ...

That and a system reboot did the trick.

It is really great that you are so involved with the community. I am now a loyal fan. Can't wait for BOA2!

Pocus

Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:29 pm

thanks!

orca
Lieutenant

Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:57 pm

lodilefty wrote:Is it all the garrisons? While 'migrating' to WA, I found some garrisons with experience = 1, which would make them 'autoupgrade', but I haven't run the scnarios enough to see whether 'fixing' that cured it.

In the BoA DB, the Pittsburgh and Boonesboro garrisonse are = 1 for 75 scenarios....

I can't say it's all of them. Pittsburgh and Boonesboro definitely. Also Savannah, Fort Frederick, Charlestn and others

Stwa
Colonel

Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:36 pm

orca wrote:I don't think so. I think it's still bugged. I do get training almost every turn for units stacked with Washington and/or Wayne (when they don't move). But almost every turn I also get one of the fixed garrisons training up (the one that only have two elements and exist only to guard their little forts). I can't believe this is WAD, and if it is I think it's a crazy design decision.

I upgraded to 1.13d last week for the first time and it has several critical errors that were overlooked. This thread is very old but I will describe the problem and the solution below if anyone is interested. Most everyone have moved on to WIA, me thinks.

1. The part you mentioned may be WAD, but the real ugly problem with 1.13d is no units would AUTO UPGRADE. The individual elements would upgrade but NOT the whole unit. As people tried to mention earlier in this thread, this problem led to mass disbanding at the end of year in scenarios that use the Auto Raise feature like 55, 75, 76, and 78 Campaigns.

2. To fix this problem you can do one of 2 things. First, you can edit each unit file in the GameData/Unit folder and change the data label of each unit from UnitAutoUpg to TrainAutoUpg.

3. Second, you can download the BOA database spreadsheets, and in the unit sheet rename the UnitAutoUpg column to TrainAutoUpg. Save the sheet to CSV format and use the BoA splitter to regen all the unit files. Now copy these files to your GameData/Units folder. You should not have to rebuild any scenarios. Generally its best to just delete all the unit files first, and then copy in all the new ones so there is no file replacement.

Perhaps Ageod will view these problems as critical, since it really renders pretty useless the main scenarios of the game, and issue another patch with the fix included.

Regards to all,

Stwa

Stwa
Colonel

Other ciritcal errors with 1.13d

Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:23 pm

The fix above should correct the auto-update feature of the game, but there are other critical errors regarding individual element upgrades, and there is of course an error with the auto-raise feature itself, which has affected BoA since its inception, and affects WIA even today.

If you applied the fix above, its probably best that you apply the following fixes as well.

First the problem with element upgrades.

1. Training officers will upgrade individual units during gameplay, but BoA provides two distinct upgrade paths in its model files. The first value is name PriUpg and the next value is named SecUpg. BoA v 1.13d may be using the secondary or SecUpg, when it meant to use the PriUpg (or vice versa). It could also be possible that the SecUpg was meant to be used by scripts alone, and not the training upgrade feature of the game. Either way, the upgrade feature is not being cosnsitently applied.

2. To fix this you must edit all the model files in your GameData/Models folder and change the name of the data column from PriUpg to TrainUpg. Also delete the data column name and value for SecUpg.

3. Alternatively, you can download the BoA mod tools, and make the corresponding changes in the models spreadsheet, and regen all the model files. To do this just rename the column name PriUpg to TrainUpg, delete the SecUpg column, save to CSV format and regen the files.

This isn't all, we still have the behavior of the Training Officer and also the hideos Auto-Raise problem to deal with. Stay tuned....

Regards,

Stwa

Stwa
Colonel

Leader Abilities need fixing

Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:05 am

OK, moving along now. If you are acutally doing any of this stuff (maybe you should just upgrade to WIA :sourcil :) , then you should have done the following things by now.

1. Change all data references in the unit files from UnitAutoUpg to TrainAutoUpg.

2. Change all data references in the model files from PriUpg to TrainUpg.

3. Delete all data references in the model files to SecUpg.

OK, on to the Training Officer ability.

The Training Officer ability tells the game to activate element training during the game. This training is normally restricted to the stack that contains the leader with the Training Officer ability. However in BoA v 1.13d, the game will train units/elements in ANY location. This is not good. There may be many causes, and so I do not have a complete explanation of why this occurs, but so far I have been able to correct this. So here are the fixes.

1. The first thing you must do is remove this ability for any 3 star general. BTW, this is what has been done in WIA. To fix, you can simply edit George Washington's model file. The contents we are interested in should look something like this...

Ability0 = $Charismatic
Ability1 = $Skirmisher
Ability2 = $Master_Spy
Ability3 = $Training_Officer

To get rid of the ability, change the data to look like this and then save the file. Don't worry the [B]Americans still have Wayne as a Training Officer.[/B].

Ability0 = $Charismatic
Ability1 = $Skirmisher
Ability2 = $Master_Spy

2. Now we must fix the abilty itself, this file can be found in the GameData\Abilities folder. Open the file for Training_Officer and edit the contents until it looks like this. Then save the file. Please note that Param7 tells the game how many elements may be trained in a single turn, I think, but its a guess. You can raise or lower this value accordingly.

UID = 26
Name = $abi_nam_Trainer
Alias = Training_Officer
Kind = $TrainingAbi
Text = $abi_txt_Trainer
ImageID = abi_training1.png
Color = $colAbi_Yellow
Appliance = Leader
Family = 1
Level = 1
ProgRate = 1
Param0 = 0
Param1 = 0
Param2 = 100
Param3 = 50
Param4 = 0
Param5 = 1
Param6 = 0
Param7 = 2

Here is a link that says it better.... http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?t=10243

OK,

By now things should be looking pretty good, and you should be getting pretty much normal behavior in your game. But WAIT, there is still the annoying problems assoicated with auto-raise. Stay tuned...

Ardie
Captain

Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:28 pm

Thanks. I haven't upgraded to WIA yet....which seems to be a wise decision so far. I might try this next weekend if I find the time.

Stwa
Colonel

Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:56 pm

I hear you,

But check out the modding section, Lodi has gone the extra mile to create a hot fix for 1.13d. So we owe it to him to check this out and see what it does.

ERISS
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:46 am

As the last patch seems not the best, where can we find back 1.12a patch? (I can find 1.12, not 'a' one).

ERISS
AGEod Guard of Honor

Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:25 am

Merci. 2nd link seems good. I'll try when I will able to launch the game (bad key code given in game box).
However I still wonder what's really the best: 1.12a or 1.13d+fix.

Stwa
Colonel

Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:00 am

I can answer that.

1.12a is better. 1.13d was not one of Pocus' finer moments.

But with BoA it would also be best to find Jaeger's Region mod and Lodilefty's Port mod.

If you want to mod BoA beyond the Region and Port mods, then I suggest removing the track system, and that will improve game play alot IMHO.

Plus, it is imperative that you fix the Autoraise issue. It is a data error, so it can be fixed, but you must re-generate the units and re-compile the scenarios that use Autoraise.

Also you can experiment with supply from structures. The mod is very easy.

One setting I like alot is: (you just need to change the city file, I think)

Port = 1

City/Indian Village = 2

Fort = 5

Depot = 10

ERISS
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:42 am

Very thank you for your answer.
Stwa wrote:1.12a is better. 1.13d was not one of Pocus' finer moments..

So, no BoA Gold..
with BoA it would also be best to find Jaeger's Region mod and Lodilefty's Port mod.

http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?t=4752
http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?t=7411

ERISS
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:09 am

lodilefty wrote:, the critical issues cited are fixed:
http://www.ageod-forum.com/showpost.php?p=97277&postcount=1

That's the Training officer and unit upgrade mod.

lodilefty

Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:36 am

ERISS wrote:That's the Training officer and unit upgrade mod.

yes. What else is critical?
Always ask yourself: "Am I part of the Solution?" If you aren't, then you are part of the Problem!
[CENTER][/CENTER]

[CENTER]Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Rules for new members[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Forum Rules[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Help desk: support@slitherine.co.uk[/CENTER]

HattoriHanzo
Private

Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:55 pm

do exist somewhere a list of all the changes that were done to the original BoA program by each subsequent patch ?

also I try to find an up-to-date manual PDF file of Birth of America since the original rules-book contained in the game box seem to miss many important informations.. :(

can someone of you expert members (or AGEOD administrators) please help me ?

thank you !!!

HattoriHanzo
Private

Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:32 pm

by the way, no one on the proposed link to download the 1.13 (a-b-c-d) Birth of America patch seem to properly work..

all of them link the users to an AGEOD page:

http://ageoddl.telechargement.fr/latest/BOA_Patch.zip

where only the bleak message "Document not found" can be read :(

please, where the last AGEOD Birth of America patch can be downloaded ???

Khanti
Captain

Sat Jan 30, 2016 4:11 pm

HattoriHanzo wrote:(...)

please, where the last AGEOD Birth of America patch can be downloaded ???

You are right. There is no working link for a patch here. I got my from ModDB: http://www.moddb.com/games/birth-of-america/downloads/patch4

BoA_patch1.13d.exe by the way.

HattoriHanzo
Private

Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:45 pm

thank you Khanti, this is exactly what I need :)

Pocus

Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:59 am

We will restore the links asap...

HattoriHanzo
Private

Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:18 am

thank you Pocus, I adore the AGEOD support !!!!!

Return to “Birth of America”