CWNut77
Lieutenant Colonel

Download complete!

Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:03 pm

Just downloaded this last night (couldn't resist), didn't play too much but from what I can see I like.

Coming from AACW (and correct me if I am mistaken), this seems like a more simplified game. I like the fresh look of the map and counters (so pretty and colorful graphically), and the game does seem to flow much smoother and quicker as well. I also like the plethora of scenario options (Pequot War...nice).

I'll read the large manual but can someone tell me...if I already play AACW is there really a need? What are the main differences in rule sets between AACW and WIA?

Anyway, looks like it is a great game, though I hope that the attrition problems mentioned on these forums have been solved with the latest patch.

lodilefty

Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:35 pm

Actually, your biggest challenge after AACW is what is NOT there...

Two big areas:
...the command structure: no Army, no Corps, no Divisions...

..supply: local supply only, no distribution or transport of supply across many regions...

Otherwise, very similar... :)
Always ask yourself: "Am I part of the Solution?" If you aren't, then you are part of the Problem!
[CENTER][/CENTER]
[CENTER]Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Rules for new members[/CENTER]
[CENTER]Forum Rules[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Help desk: support@slitherine.co.uk[/CENTER]

Lafrite

Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:55 pm

A turn is 30 days long, attention at the winter season :cwboy:

Pocus

Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:56 pm

Hello again CWNut77 (btw don't hesitate to add an avatar, many people as me identify much easily forumers by their image and not by their name, except for the vets out there that we know since a long time).

I would say the biggest difference is that you are lost in the midst of the unforgiving wilderness (much more forgiving in the new patch, but still, this is the Wild Wild East (and West, and South)).

Gameplay feature wise, you have options in BOA2 which replaces production AND political options. They are quite nice and diversified.

The Replay module also is a big thing.

I would say that (some) people tend to forget that the vast majority of the time spent on developing the game is spent on collecting all the data to make scenarios and events (for the Historical Team) and redoing many graphics, including the map from A to Z (for the artists). So it is not a given and it makes 75% of the production cost of WIA. What do I say that? Because I know that some people in some forum think it is BOA1 with an handful of new features. They are very far from reality. Code cost much to produce, but so do graphics and data gathering. In the end, WIA is a completely new product compared to BOA1. But I disgress :)

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

CWNut77
Lieutenant Colonel

Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:15 pm

Thanks Pocus -- so other than the new scenarios and look, is WIA pretty much similar to BOA1, gameplay-wise? I have never played BOA1 -- I considered it, then said no to the matter when WIA was released.

Pocus

Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:31 pm

Cohesion and morale make a big change, as with Engagement points which ask you to think one level higher (you have to identify area of focus and stick to it, do I buy frigates, more troops, improve them, etc.).

It plays 'kind like' BOA1, but I had to play several time some scenarios I thought I knew by heart just because of cohesion (and also because Hok et al. tweaked much the events and initial OOB).

All in all, WIA is a bit less forgiving than BOA I would say. It is richer, with each move having a real impact on the next.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

CWNut77
Lieutenant Colonel

Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:45 pm

Excellent, can't wait to cut my teeth on it. I can see what you are saying though -- 30-day turns in the rough wilderness will require much thought in each turn. I will have to get used to no railroads though :)

Supply -- so, basically, without a supply wagon (or 2, or 3) to accompany me to the battlefront, I am screwed. Right? :D

arsan

Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:58 pm

CWNut77 wrote:Supply -- so, basically, without a supply wagon (or 2, or 3) to accompany me to the battlefront, I am screwed. Right? :D

Well, your units carry two turns worth of supply on the "backpack".
After that time, if you are not on a supply source, has wagons or the force is not small enough to eat what they can forage.. yes, your are screwed! :niark:

Pocus

Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:03 pm

Actually 2 turns of supply mean each man carry a mule carrying another mule carrying the backpack.

Ok this is an abstraction, necessary to have a playable game. I'm sure we can rationalize saying it has to do with what you get from some basic foraging to fill-up your reserve each time you can (and before actually starving, as what happen in game)

lodilefty

Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:05 pm

Pocus wrote:Actually 2 turns of supply mean each man carry a mule carrying another mule carrying the backpack.

Ok this is an abstraction, necessary to have a playable game. I'm sure we can rationalize saying it has to do with what you get from some basic foraging to fill-up your reserve each time you can (and before actually starving, as what happen in game)

Is this the AGEOD version of the 'magic sack' available in some RPG's? :niark:
Always ask yourself: "Am I part of the Solution?" If you aren't, then you are part of the Problem!
[CENTER][/CENTER]

[CENTER]Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Rules for new members[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Forum Rules[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Help desk: support@slitherine.co.uk[/CENTER]

arsan

Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:15 pm

lodilefty wrote:Is this the AGEOD version of the 'magic sack' available in some RPG's? :niark:

I love RPG "magic sacks" and AGEOD "magic mules" :niark:
Realism is very important, but playability is important as well! :cwboy:
Just my two cents

CWNut77
Lieutenant Colonel

Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:21 am

Pocus wrote:Hello again CWNut77 (btw don't hesitate to add an avatar, many people as me identify much easily forumers by their image and not by their name, except for the vets out there that we know since a long time).

Well...how do you like my avatar? :siffle:

Rafiki

Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:49 am

Uhm......risky? :D
[CENTER]Latest patches: AACW :: NCP :: WIA :: ROP :: RUS :: PON :: AJE
Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/CENTER]

dooya

Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:49 am

Rafiki wrote:Uhm......risky? :D
Because people might think that he is nuts? :niark:
No quote - No bullshit!

arsan

Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:57 am

Because a very hungry squirrel dwells around here? :siffle: :niark:

Pocus

Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:08 am

I like it. I really do likeee crunch crunhhccnnn yum yum!!! This was good!

Korrigan
AGEod Guard of Honor

Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:23 am

CWNut77 wrote:Supply -- so, basically, without a supply wagon (or 2, or 3) to accompany me to the battlefront, I am screwed. Right? :D

Yes, especially with regular regiments.

For me, Birth of America displays two unique features:

- It's very to learn and play, but still very hard to master
- It's all about asymetric war.

Both in FIW and AIW, you have a side with weaker but quicker units (French/Rebels) and a side with stronger but less adapted units (British).

As a BoA commander, you'll always be faced with a question:

"Should you take with you your ART and your supplies?" (and your troops will be so slow there is no way you can catch up with French 'Coureurs des Bois' and their Indian allies, or with those bloody American rebels, risking destruction by General Winter).

or

"Should you leave your ART and supplies behind to allow prompt actions" (and you'll be facing the risks to be piecemeals defeated or worse to see your supplies destroyed, leaving you alone in the wilderness...)

It's your choice... :king:
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference." Mark Twain

CWNut77
Lieutenant Colonel

Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:49 pm

Question for the team -- I purchased this game last week with a MAstercard that takes funds directly from my checking account. To date, those funds have not been depleted.

How long does the exchange rate usually take to finalize, to show that my purchase has been made from my account?

d0mbo
Private

Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:42 pm

Perhaps i am wrong here, but don't credit card companies withdraw the payment from your account at the end of each month?

I know my mastercard does :s

maybe that's what happening to you as well.

CWNut77
Lieutenant Colonel

Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:20 pm

d0mbo wrote:Perhaps i am wrong here, but don't credit card companies withdraw the payment from your account at the end of each month?

I know my mastercard does :s

maybe that's what happening to you as well.

Nope, my Mastercard usually debits my bank account a couple days after the transaction at the latest...though you may have a point here, considering I purchased something "overseas"

Pocus

Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:12 pm

Try contacting the e-vendor, you should have on your invoice a mail address: nexway or telechargement.fr is its name.

CWNut77
Lieutenant Colonel

Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:47 pm

Thanks Pocus -- I will do that when I get home. Not that I mind a free game but AGEOD deserves its profit :)

bobkatfan
Private

Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:49 pm

I'm so tempted to buy it, but its the not recruiting thing that has got me kind of worried, plus the only once a month turn.

CWNut77
Lieutenant Colonel

Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:46 pm

bobkatfan wrote:I'm so tempted to buy it, but its the not recruiting thing that has got me kind of worried, plus the only once a month turn.

BobKat, you have to keep in mind that this game takes place a few generations before the Civil War. I semi-agree with the recruitment option, but that can be defended in that the BOA system is meant to appeal to players looking for a less-complex (on the surface) game system with depth hidden beneath.

As for the 1-month turns, you have to keep in mind that there were no railroads back in these years, and the population and populated areas were a lot smaller...thus, it took longer for military operations and movements, and battles had less men involved and thus lower casualty figures. This is also probably why command chains are not included either...one of AGEOD's goals (correct me if I am wrong team) is to create a gaming environment with limited micro-management, yet complete depth all the same. And I think they have succeeded tremendously :)

Personally, I do not own BOA1 (I cut my teeth on AACW), but I did buy WIA. I just purchased AACW in May and jumped on WIA due to my confidence in AGEON and my love of the game engine...but I have barely really played WIA, because I still have so much more AACW to experience and I cannot play multiple games (especially of this genre) like I used to :p apy:

I still say it's well worth the money, it appears to be an outstanding game -- and it will only get better and better with time, due to AGEOD's commitment to their gaming public through the release of patches.

Pocus

Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:19 am

The Independence War and the French-Indian War are longuer than the ACW, so you get the same number of turns in the end also.

CWNut77
Lieutenant Colonel

Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:57 pm

Pocus wrote:The Independence War and the French-Indian War are longuer than the ACW, so you get the same number of turns in the end also.

Aye, a very good point! :sourcil:

Return to “BoA2: Wars in America”