Krasny
Private

Game Goes Too Fast!

Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:57 pm

when processing a turn enemy units move so fast i can barely see them and the battle swingometer only appears for a fraction of a second :p leure:

anything i can do about it?

thanks

Pocus

Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:33 am

There was advanced control options introduced by AACW (that you have too I gather) but until the next BOA patch I don't think you can do much about that. See the Options panels though.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Krasny
Private

Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:37 am

thanks philippe

am i the only one who is suffering from this problem, or is it common to all PCs with decent specs?

yeah i have AACW, but i was rather too much for me, so since BoA was reasonably priced, i thought i would give it a shot

edit: i have used the option to slow it down as much as i can

Krasny
Private

Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:31 am

Has this been corrected yet?

Pocus

Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:19 pm

Sorry no, after the legacy patch (which was the 13th, not counting subpatch!), BOA1 is now considered completed. As much as a computer project can be finished...

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

MarkShot

Sat Jul 05, 2008 7:42 pm

Krasny,

A couple of years ago I had commented on the same thing and worked out a solution.

I used a third party utility designed to slowdown the CPU. I most commonly use it for many older games which play too fast (particularly map scrolls too fast) on modern processors. This software can slow down a single process as opposed to everything running on the machine when used under XP. It also has a hot key feature. So, you can just hot key it when the turn action begins to play so that you can follow things slower, then hot key it off when giving orders or computing the turn. The software is not free, but I got my money's worth:

http://www.hpaa.com/moslo/moslo.asp

I am using Mo'Slo 4Biz v3.3.

Korrigan
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:34 pm

MarkShot wrote:I used a third party utility designed to slowdown the CPU.

You means Windows Vista, don't you? :king:
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference." Mark Twain

MarkShot

Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:38 pm

I thought >>> YOU <<< were running Vista SP1?

I am now on XP Pro SP3. Myself and Pocus have vowed to stay on XP until 2014 (or Windows 7 maybe).

Gray_Lensman

Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:24 am

deleted

Pocus

Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:56 am

Well, I would not recomend removing the restoration points feature, which is also in XP. It saved me from troubles at least half a dozen of time.

clairobscur
Conscript

Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:43 am

Pocus wrote:Sorry no, after the legacy patch (which was the 13th, not counting subpatch!), BOA1 is now considered completed. As much as a computer project can be finished...

Et au passage : lorsqu'on télécharge le jeu, je suppose que tous les patches sont déjà inclus, et qu'il n'est donc pas nécessaire de le patcher?

Je préfère demander, on ne sait jamais....

PhilThib

Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:45 am

As a rule, the latest full version includes latest patches... might be a slight difference by a day or two in some cases....that's why you know have the Update button in the menu to check if you have the latest game version :indien:

Nikel

Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:45 am

As Microsoft has extended the support for XP probably there is no need to update to Vista, unless you buy a new PC and you cannnot choose your OS.

http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?LN=en-gb&x=16&y=12&C2=1173

Vista uses more resources, as I updated with a new PC, a core2 duo, more RAM, more everything,... of course I did not notice a slowdow, the contrary. But it is true that needs more memory, I use Vista x64 (for some reason) and I think that needs even more. 40% of my 2GB are used after startup, and that after cleaning some services I do not use

I have been using Vista x64 for nearly a year without problems, once used the recommended tweaks in that site, UAC is really annoying and must be desactivated, just IMHO

Restore points use resources, but if you use your computer to work, probably it is not a good idea to get rid of it. As I use my home computer for fun I will not lose anything important, so I have desactivated

There are tweaks for XP too in that site

http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/supertweaks.htm

In my old PC with XP I had Page File set to 0. This option is not recommended by microsoft. But if you have enough memory and you do not use a lot of programs at the same time you can use it safely. At least I did it for several years without problems. RAM is faster than HD, so there is a noticeable speedup, that is the reason to set it to 0

clairobscur
Conscript

Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:07 am

PhilThib wrote:As a rule, the latest full version includes latest patches... might be a slight difference by a day or two in some cases....that's why you know have the Update button in the menu to check if you have the latest game version :indien:

I hadn't noticed this button. But since I downloaded the game last night and the final patch has been released some time ago, I assume I don't need to worry.

'Sorry for the previous message in French, I wasn't paying attention.

Korrigan
AGEod Guard of Honor

Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:24 am

Obviously, we can read and write French. No problem with that. However, please use the French forum if you wish an answer in French.

Regarding the download version, the thing is that our download provider might sometimes takes sometimes to update the master file. We can never be sure. However, the version should be displaeyed on the load screen, lower right corner.

Regarding the Update button, it was Philippe who was not paying attention, his answer relates to BoA 2. :king:

Cheers,

Korrigan
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference." Mark Twain

MarkShot

Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:18 pm

Vista versus XP ...

Vista has 2-4X the footprint (RAM, CPU, disk, VRAM) of XP. Since XP runs everything just fine, then you can either allocate a considerable portion of your hardware purchase to simply running your O/S or you can allocate a lot of more of your hardware with XP to the things that you purchased the computer for in the first place like work, applications, and games.

For me, the choice is pretty clear. Now, there may be issues with DirectX10 in the future. However, I have read that wrappers are being worked on for XP that will provide DirectX10 support, since, of course, the functionality is either there in the video card or it isn't.

However, I could see one buying a new PC in the year 2011 and having trouble loading XP Pro SP3 due to hardware device support. On the other hand, the 2011 machine may have so much memory and CPU cycles that the performance hit of running Vista will be a lot less of an issue than it is today. That might make Vista more acceptable than it is today.

I have to say XP is the first version of Windows that really has been a joy to use for both work and games. Win98 was pretty snappy (not having process partitioning features), but it seemed that I was continuously having to reboot it. Also, it had those those GDI heap issues which limited the number of concurrent apps you could run regardless of physical memory. Finally, it used cooperative multi-tasking which required applictions to play nicely and turn over control back to the O/S.

XP is by no means perfect, but it is quite mature. XP was the killer app when it came to the 9x (95/98/ME) O/S line. When it comes to XP, Vista is no killer app. At the moment, there doesn't seem to be any on the horizon. So, I think a lot of power users and businesses will continue to cling to XP.

MarkShot

Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:22 pm

Pocus wrote:Well, I would not recomend removing the restoration points feature, which is also in XP. It saved me from troubles at least half a dozen of time.

I like restore points, but a few times when I have needed them they have failed to recover what I wanted. Actually, what they include is somewhat limited. They are not as general as people think.

For me, I depend on disk imaging software once per week to make sure that any major problem can be backed out. Also, C: is used as the system disk so that the a system can be rolled back (via image restoration) without generally having an impact on any user data or apps.

Stwa
Colonel

Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:54 am

WOW,

Talk about a total [color="RoyalBlue"]thread hi-jack[/color]. This is one of the better examples that I've seen.

I would just like to say, that if Ageod is still planning on selling BOA. I am not sure if that is the case, but if so, the resolution for this issue might be a good candidate for a final patch. Surely this wouldn't be that difficult.

MarkShot

Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:38 pm

Wait a minute! I did answer the original question with a workable solution!

In the meantime, the poster never came back to report whether he might try that or anything else.

By the way, what is the resolution issue of which you speak?

Return to “Birth of America”