Guido
Conscript

1812 Campaign Problems

Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:15 am

I have had problems playing the 1812 scenario (much like Napoleon himself!).

1. It appears the Russians start with 1200 VPs, which seems an impossible total for the French to overhaul, even if the Russian army is destroyed. Is this intended?

2. The scenario guide says the French need to hold Moscow and a couple of other objective towns to win. Even with the Russian army destroyed and with Moscow, Riga & Minsk occupied, the best I have done is achieve a stalemate because of the VP imbalance.

3. When I have got close to what might be a victory the game crashes with a critical error on the last turn.

4. I even tried to play the Russians to lose, (letting the French into all objective cities) see if a French win is possible, but the AI did no better and again the game crashed on the last turn.

5. This might be game technique, but after the first few turns it seems almost impossible to force a big battle victory, even if I outnumber the enemy, have supplies, have sorted any command penalties, cohesion etc. Is there a trick I am missing somewhere?

Any advice / help would be most welcome!

Thanks

Guy

PhilThib

Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:26 am

1. It is intended, but can be tweaked.

2. what was your best final score with the French ?

3. Can you send us a save of the last 2 turns to support@ageod.com, as well as your PC dxdiag

4. & 5. Can you let us know which version you play with.

Guido
Conscript

Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:46 pm

I am unable to retrieve the games as I now get a critical error message whenever I try to load a saved game.

I'm guessing but I think I have managed to get to within 7-800 pts of the Russian total - I was looking at the points difference rather than just the French total.

I have not downloaded any patches yet as I have been offline for sometime and only just found your site. When loading I see NCP 1.02c, so I guess that is the version number. Will the patches overcome this problem? A quick glance over the forum does not show up anything similar, but I'll take your advice on that.

Thanks for the quick response!

Guy

Primasprit

Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:51 pm

Hi Guido!

I have not downloaded any patches yet as I have been offline for sometime and only just found your site. When loading I see NCP 1.02c, so I guess that is the version number. Will the patches overcome this problem? A quick glance over the forum does not show up anything similar, but I'll take your advice on that.

It is highly recommended that you update your game with the newest patch, as every patch contains fixes for known problems as well as game and scenario enhancements. :cwboy:

Guido
Conscript

Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:13 pm

The 1-04 patch is downloaded, I but still get a critical error message if I try to load a saved game.

I'll try a fresh campaign and let you know how it goes. I had played several of the other scenarios without any problems, this just cropped up when playing the 1812 scenario.

Guy

FM WarB
Colonel

Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:30 pm

1) I see Russains starting at 120 and French 90 National morale.

2) I read victory conditions as Moscow OR two other strategic towns plus battlefield victories.

The French start with 19 strategic towns and the Russians 47...at one VP per turn. Just to break even on Strategic town VPs, the French would have to capture 13 strategic towns, and not lose any. There are 13 strategic towns north of Brest-Litovsk/ Kiev, south of St Pete and as far east as Smolensk, and they include two Objective towns (one being Riga, which I judge a tough nut to crack). A tall order, just to break even on strategic town VP accumulation.

Napoleon's plan was for a quick campaign and a big victory over the Russian army, followed by a dictated peace. Another would be conqueror of Russia had the same plan in 1941 and couldnt win even though he did get some big Kesselschlacht victories.

Guido
Conscript

Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:06 am

OK - now with the patch I get the reduced VPs and a very different game with more objective cities. So that's cleared up, thanks! Unfortunately it seems I still cannot load any saved games without it crashing.

Guy

Pocus

Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:43 pm

Are these games started with the latest patch? That would be surprising that you crash with the latest version (it can always happen though ;) )

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Guido
Conscript

Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:24 am

The scenario runs fine and the VPs now seem OK. I saved my latest campaign as I went along but afterwards any attempt to load a saved game immediately results in a critical error.

Guy

Return to “NCP Technical support / Aide technique”