AndrewKurtz

Sat May 24, 2008 6:48 pm

Across Five Aprils?

Coregonas
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sat May 24, 2008 7:16 pm

I expected the game to be run roughly at a pace a turn every week...

As every turn represents 2 weeks---> This is just 2x real speed. So 2 years for a 4 years campaign! :bonk:

But dont panic still--- Sure we could do many turns at a fast rate. :sourcil:

Banks6060
AGEod Veteran

Sat May 24, 2008 8:31 pm

AndrewKurtz wrote:Across Five Aprils?

do feel so glum. I'm sure we'll be able to crank out at least 2 turns per week. Besides...you don't need to worry Kurtz...Union will probably be defeated pretty soon anyway. :king:

AndrewKurtz

Sun May 25, 2008 3:00 am

Banks6060 wrote:do feel so glum. I'm sure we'll be able to crank out at least 2 turns per week. Besides...you don't need to worry Kurtz...Union will probably be defeated pretty soon anyway. :king:

What an excellent point :)

Rafiki

Sun May 25, 2008 7:22 am

Orders are in; processing shortly :)
[CENTER]Latest patches: AACW :: NCP :: WIA :: ROP :: RUS :: PON :: AJE
Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/CENTER]

Rafiki

Sun May 25, 2008 3:17 pm

New turn has been sent out; looking forward to reading your impressions of how things are unfolding! :)

Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[/CENTER]

Banks6060
AGEod Veteran

Sun May 25, 2008 4:59 pm

Raf, I think my pre-emptory 1.10a update might have screwed some things up...I'm gonna roll with the punches of course. But that battle result in Grafton, WV has downright got me vexed....

try checking out my AAR and then PM me your observations of the battle result. If you feel that's appropriate of course. I only appeal to you because you're the "de facto" refaree. ref raf...kinda has a ring to it. :sourcil:

Anyway, I'm not gonna whine about it...just confused that's all.

Rafiki

Sun May 25, 2008 7:24 pm

Sounds strange; I thinkit was resolved properly and that it ight be something with the display of the battle rather than the results themselves, but I'll look into it

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[/CENTER]

Banks6060
AGEod Veteran

Sun May 25, 2008 8:28 pm

Rafiki wrote:Sounds strange; I thinkit was resolved properly and that it ight be something with the display of the battle rather than the results themselves, but I'll look into it

Thanks man. Again, certainly not going to complain. It was a smart move on Kurtz's part...just hoping I can take something away from the experience to learn from. I swear, once you feel like you've peeled back all the layers of this game....it throws in another few layers just for spite. Love it... :sourcil:

AndrewKurtz

Wed May 28, 2008 12:09 pm

Anyone issued orders yet? If not, should we upgrade to 1.10b now?

GShock

Wed May 28, 2008 12:16 pm

I think it would be nice if this GC had some sort of AAR.

I understand the FOW would be voided but since all is done in forums, you could do that in 2 separate threads where each side is house-ruled not to watch.

At least this would allow everyone else to know what's going on. :cwboy:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
We ain't going down!

Rafiki

Wed May 28, 2008 12:30 pm

AndrewKurtz wrote:Anyone issued orders yet? If not, should we upgrade to 1.10b now?

The CSA has started distributing orders; we'll bump to 1.10b after the next turn resolution.

(Now, get those Union orders going! :king: )
GShock wrote:I think it would be nice if this GC had some sort of AAR.

I understand the FOW would be voided but since all is done in forums, you could do that in 2 separate threads where each side is house-ruled not to watch.

At least this would allow everyone else to know what's going on. :cwboy:

Or perhaps we could even set it up so that every player has his own AAR, where they report their goings-on and what they think of it? :siffle:

(GShock, I take it that you haven't seen what else is in this forum? ;) )

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[/CENTER]

johnnycai
Major

Wed May 28, 2008 3:03 pm

Rafiki wrote:The CSA has started distributing orders; we'll bump to 1.10b after the next turn resolution.

(Now, get those Union orders going! :king: )

Or perhaps we could even set it up so that every player has his own AAR, where they report their goings-on and what they think of it? :siffle:

(GShock, I take it that you haven't seen what else is in this forum? ;) )

Were waiting for President Jabberwock for his input.

All of the CiC have their own AAR posts, but in my case, there hasnt been too much excitement yet so hence the lack of maps, editorial depth and battle reports on my AAR-Union West thread so far.

AndrewKurtz

Wed May 28, 2008 3:41 pm

johnnycai wrote:Were waiting for President Jabberwock for his input.

Exactly...for the first time ever it seems, Washington is silent. :niark:

Coregonas
AGEod Guard of Honor

Wed May 28, 2008 4:24 pm

I dont know if I must be happy to hear that or start to run away!

GShock

Wed May 28, 2008 5:03 pm

1 thread, not 100 threads. :)

Eh...Banks is doing a terrific job...but i thought about something official a third party AAR instead of different AARs from everyone.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

We ain't going down!

Coregonas
AGEod Guard of Honor

Wed May 28, 2008 6:57 pm

Before the GC started, the idea was to have some kind of News-AAR for each side.

But dont remember, perhaps no one asked for the job, as the game has gone wild...

Banks6060
AGEod Veteran

Wed May 28, 2008 7:49 pm

Coregonas wrote:Before the GC started, the idea was to have some kind of News-AAR for each side.

But dont remember, perhaps no one asked for the job, as the game has gone wild...

Whoever was supposed to contribute to the "Observer AAR" doesn't seem to have done so. I'd say perhaps rejuvinating that thread for a 3rd party perspective could be a good idea....a place where other observers could converse and criticize the strategies of each side. Of course players would not be allowed to participate and use of the "honor code" would be the only way to go about seeing that they don't.

But I think there are plenty of readers that want to comment on what's going on and have nowhere to do it. I hate to presume I guess, but with the number of views the campaign is getting, it would only seem reasonable that folks want to talk about what they're seeing. Debate, discuss how some moves are :tournepas ....or :8o: ...or even some, like mine, that are just :p leure:

I think it would encourage much more reader interest.

Just my 2 cents....

Rafiki

Wed May 28, 2008 8:23 pm

GShock wrote:Eh...Banks is doing a terrific job...

Indeed. Kudos for a job well done so far :)
but i thought about something official a third party AAR instead of different AARs from everyone.

There was supposed to be an "observer AAR", but unfortunately, Real Life reared its ugly head on Jim, and he has been unable to provide any observations.

As for comments in the various player AARs, I see no reason why people shouldn't feel free to comment, as long as nothing is revealed of other parts of the game (and what the other players are writing in their AARs and in the opposing side's war room). I also think it would be unfair for people to provide advice on what to do (which in many cases probably would fall under the previous item anyway) :)

I'll also open up a thread for non-players, so that the crowds freely can discuss the game without player interference :sourcil:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[/CENTER]

Rafiki

Wed May 28, 2008 8:25 pm

I've also been looking closer at the Battle of Grafton previous round, but haven't found anything particularly weird, I'm afraid.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[/CENTER]

Banks6060
AGEod Veteran

Wed May 28, 2008 9:42 pm

Rafiki wrote:Indeed. Kudos for a job well done so far :)

Thanks and thank you Shock. I really enjoy doing it. I'm glad people like reading it.

About Grafton.....yeah I couldn't really figure out that deal. Everything was straight it seemed, until I saw that every element on BOTH sides benefited from defensive terrain, meaning they were in "defensive posture" (or at least that's what I thought). If both armies were in "defensive posture" then how the battle took place at all kind of confused me.

I just didn't know if there was something I missed in the report that I could remember for the future. I'm still learning more about this game every day :bonk:

Jabberwock

Thu May 29, 2008 3:34 am

johnnycai wrote:Were waiting for President Jabberwock for his input.

Sorry.
[color="DimGray"] You deserve to be spanked[/color]

Banks6060
AGEod Veteran

Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:36 pm

Sooo.....this seems to be going at a rather break-neck pace... :sourcil:

lol...just thought I'd type SOMETHING. I dunno what solo's up to. Probably "taking care" of that new wife of his...git'r'done!! :niark:

Jabberwock

Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:39 pm

I'll be away the rest of today. If US CinC orders are done by the time I get back, I'll finish them off tonight.

AndrewKurtz

Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:21 pm

Jabberwock wrote:I'll be away the rest of today. If US CinC orders are done by the time I get back, I'll finish them off tonight.

US CinC East have been done a few days.

johnnycai
Major

Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:38 pm

AndrewKurtz wrote:US CinC East have been done a few days.

Uhhhh...I thought I had sent my CiC-West orders back on Friday.

I have resent them just now.

Sorry, my fault. :bonk:

General Cai

Rafiki

Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:53 am

Rafiki wrote:I'll also open up a thread for non-players, so that the crowds freely can discuss the game without player interference :sourcil:

Sorry for the delay, but it's up now: http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?t=9220 (Players no entrance!) :)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[/CENTER]

Jabberwock

Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:28 am

email sent - but I'll post here too in case you read this first. Please resend without compression. I can't open the ord file.

Lonster
Corporal

Request for more thoughts from the Players

Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:47 am

Since the participants can't read the Audience Game Discussion thread, I thought I would summarize the feelings so far (....and add a few of my own).

One of the ideas of having a Grand Campaign is so that the war can be played out by various people and personalities. It is hoped that we the audience would be able to hear from the different players. But so far this has not been the case. Some players have done a great job of posting the results and their thoughts, and others have been pretty much "not heard from".

With that said, I am not trying to berate anyone (life happens), but I would like to encourage you as you get some time to try to post something each turn.....even if you don't think "something is happening".

I/we realize that the players also have a real life and some times this will get in the way(what a shame :siffle: ), but one thing that is special about the Grand Campaign (instead of other PBM games) is that the viewing public would/should be able to look behind the curtain and see what people are thinking/planning.

If it looks like life is going to prohibit a player from being able to post some thoughts over the long term, then maybe another player could/should step in for the short or long term.....or maybe their team could make their moves and comments.....whatever is going to be easier and smoother.

Has it been talked about what will happen when vacations start over the summer (one player is out for this week, another player is out for next week, a third is out the week after that).....one turn could take weeks or months. It may be nice to discuss how a team could handle that (President make the moves for the missing CIC.....a substitute player steps in for a couple moves{this may even be more realistic....they were always switching the generals around}).

I do really appreciate that you guys have volunteered for this, and I'm sorry if it comes across a little negative.

Now that the Campaign is a couple weeks in, this may be a good time for players to make the call on whether they really have the time or not, and then maybe sub's can be called for. This is a call that only each person can make for themselves as they look at their schedule. Again, I am sorry if this comes across as negative. We all know that demands of life come and go.

Thank you again

Korrigan
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:01 am

I second this feedback.

From the reader point of view, differences between the AARs are quite important and it's very difficult to figure out what's going on and what are the players up to. :nuts:

I can make up with absence of systematic screenshots, but when only 3 lines are posted it's impossible to understand the situation. :p leure:

Because we can see it from both sides, we readers love to be in the players minds and listen to their thoughts as they evaluate the strategic situation.

We want more :cwboy:
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference." Mark Twain

Return to “American Civil War, The Grand Campaign”