runyan99

Leader Mod for 1.10

Thu May 01, 2008 11:13 pm

Here is a leader mod compatible with 1.10. It is for the April 1861 long campaign, but will affect other scenarios as well. The mod is intended to be a more historical treatment of the generals of the Civil War as compared to the basic April scenario. The mod reevaluates all leaders in the game, using new ranks, stats and traits for many leaders, and adds new leaders as well. Often, the mod tends to reduce leader stats and add traits compared to the basic game.

I have decided to do without a blow by blow list of all changes in the mod from the basic game, but the following are the most significant changes to gameplay:

First is the McClellan paradox. With McDowell in command of the army, and with better stats than McClellan, most players are not sending McClellan to the east at all because they don't need him. So, McClellan has been getting sent to Kentucky or Missouri most of the time by most players.

In this version of the mod McDowell, Butler, Banks and Fremont have been reduced to two star rank. Thus, there are only two Union generals eligible to command armies in 1861, and they are Halleck and McClellan.

What this means is that now when the Union player forms his first army, he will NEED McClellan to come east and take command of the eastern army, and McDowell can assume his historical role as a corps commander in McClellan's army. McClellan becomes The Indispensable Man that he should be in 1861.

On the Confederate side, theirs is an army of brigades at first. The Confederates are not allowed to form their divisions until October '61. To partially compensate for this, the Confederate player has early access to 4 important leaders from Bull Run - DR Jones, Early, Ewell and Longstreet.

Many important corps commanders will automatically be promoted to ** rank on an appropriate date.

The radius for army HQs has been reduced. Most armies will have a 2 region radius, and the best leaders like Grant or Lee will have a 3 region radius. The reason for this change is to encourage the use of more three star leaders as army commanders, and to reduce overlap between army radii. With this change, the player should need two armies in places like east and west Tennessee (Buell/Grant or Beuaregard/Johnston) as was the case historically.

Misspelled names corrected, and all generals now have full names instead of only first initials.

Coefficient for leader casualties is now 1/50. Note however that the game protects leaders attached to units (i.e. division commanders) from casualties at this time.

This mod is designed to be played with the Activation option set on Standard (the second check box). You could play with the new option that can fix inactive leaders, but with the new lower ratings for many leaders in this mod, you may find that leaders are fixed too often.

Johnston's army now appears in Winchester where it was historically located.

NEW Beauregard's army now appears at Manassas.

Installation instructions for the mod are as follows.

Patch the game to the latest version. Then go into Ageod's Civil War/ACW/Gamedata and delete the Units and Models folders. If you skip this step the game will crash on startup. Replace them with the modded Units and Models folders. Then copy and overwrite the modded events files into ACW/Events, the Alias files into ACW/Aliases, and the settings folder into ACW/Settings.

NEW Additionally, this edition of the mod includes Jabberwock's portraits which are unofficial as of this date. They are contained in the attached graphics zipfile. Copy the Armies&Fleets files into ACW/Graphics/Armies&Fleets and the Units graphics into ACW/Graphics/Units.

P.S. I do not recommend updating the mod during an ongoing PBEM, as leader stats may change from update to update, as well as the alias files. In the worst case scenario, this could possibly cause a crash or corrupt your PBEM. I recommend finishing the game, then updating before starting a new game.
Attachments
1.10b leader mod assembly.zip
(1.54 MiB) Downloaded 432 times
Graphics.zip
(1.28 MiB) Downloaded 576 times

runyan99

Thu May 01, 2008 11:15 pm

Also, I'd like to start one new PBEM game with the Historical Attrition option enabled, so if you are interested PM me.

mp84
Private

Fri May 02, 2008 3:49 am

Hmm,

Not sure if I'm the only one that has encountered this, but I get a critical error message after installing your mod. I followed your instructions to the letter, and I did get your previous Leader Mod File for 1.09e to load up without a hitch, so I doubt I am doing anything different.. (I even did a complete uninstalled and reinstalled the game, and patch it to 1.10)

Attached, is the error, again not sure if its just me, or if anyone else is having this problem.. Also note, that besides telling me about the critical error and it had to terminate, also said something that it couldn't load up the saved game propely, which I find weird, since I did a complete reinstall, so it shouldn't need to load one to begin with..

thanks ,

MP
Attachments

[The extension txt has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

Ian Coote
Major

Fri May 02, 2008 3:57 am

Hi, I got a critical error message too.

tagwyn
AGEod Guard of Honor

Fri May 02, 2008 4:38 am

can you make this for computer dummies too? :[papy:

tagwyn
AGEod Guard of Honor

Fri May 02, 2008 4:46 am

Hey!! Can you make this mod for computer nummies too? :p apy:

runyan99

Fri May 02, 2008 4:51 am

Sorry about the error. It's fixed now.

For those few who already installed the mod, you can fix it by replacing the models folder again.

mp84
Private

Fri May 02, 2008 5:31 am

runyan99 wrote:Sorry about the error. It's fixed now.

For those few who already installed the mod, you can fix it by replacing the models folder again.

Cool fixed, however, looks like another bug has proped up now, some of the text is missing, espically the ones that show the # of VP and NM at the top left of the screen. And if you go into the Options menu, the text for the tabs (System, AI, etc..) is missing as well.

MP

runyan99

Fri May 02, 2008 5:42 am

I don't reproduce that. It sounds like a problem on your end. I suggest you do a fresh uninstall and reinstall and see if the problems persist.

mp84
Private

Fri May 02, 2008 6:43 am

runyan99 wrote:I don't reproduce that. It sounds like a problem on your end. I suggest you do a fresh uninstall and reinstall and see if the problems persist.

Yep, looks like that did the trick, can see everything now.. thanks

MP

GShock

Fri May 02, 2008 6:59 am

great job as usual, run. :)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
We ain't going down!

Franciscus

Fri May 02, 2008 12:04 pm

tagwyn wrote:Hey!! Can you make this mod for computer nummies too? :p apy:

Unfortunately, there is no simple way to apply such a mod as runyan's. Worse, if one follows his instructions, patching the game in the future could lead to serious problems...
The only "relatively" simple thing that might be suggested would be to use the modpath as in Clovis mod - meaning, making a complete copy of the game files, to a folder with a specific name on it (say, leader mod), applying the changes dictated by runyan only on this folder, and creating a modpath file with the name of that folder. In this way, when aacw is loaded, it is that folder thar is loaded. If one whishes to revert to vanilla, one simply deletes or changes the name of the modpath file. In this way at least a vanilla version is kept intact, simplifying the process of patching to new versions as they come.

But... none of this is really simple or straightforward enough, and it is really unfortunate :p leure:

Pocus

Fri May 02, 2008 1:06 pm

Use InnoSetup, I posted something about it in the Modding forum.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

tagwyn
AGEod Guard of Honor

Fri May 02, 2008 3:12 pm

Thanks Pocus!! :p apy:

hclindell
Civilian

Fri May 09, 2008 2:28 am

Playing as the US, I can't form any divisions. I tried waiting until Nov. 61, but still nothing. Reinstalled twice.

Great work, by the way.

runyan99

Fri May 09, 2008 2:39 am

You are the second person to report this problem, but I do not know the reason for it. Most users do not experience this problem, and I do not reproduce it myself, so I cannot fix it.

mp84
Private

Fri May 09, 2008 3:23 am

hclindell wrote:Playing as the US, I can't form any divisions. I tried waiting until Nov. 61, but still nothing. Reinstalled twice.

Great work, by the way.

Hmm, Are you sure you have a proper 3 star commander in lead of the army, and nautrally a 2 star commander under his wing as a corps?

Remember, the opening army you get in May , that's under McDowell is not an army persay, since McDowell is a 2 star general, therefore, you need to bring McCllenan over when he's a 3 star, and create your own army, with an army HQ, with him.. Then you can put McDowell as the corps commander, and the divisions should fall into place under him as well.

hope that helps,

MP

hclindell
Civilian

Fri May 09, 2008 10:04 pm

I'm getting the same problem with CSA, so I'm guessing my main install must be bad--or maybe the patch. Who knows? But thanks for the feedback.

Gray_Lensman

Fri May 09, 2008 10:22 pm

deleted

Ian Coote
Major

Tue May 20, 2008 6:37 pm

Hi runyan99,would your mod still be ok with 1.10a ?

runyan99

Tue May 20, 2008 8:42 pm

Ian Coote wrote:Hi runyan99,would your mod still be ok with 1.10a ?

Yes I think so.

TeMagic
Sergeant

Tue May 27, 2008 4:47 am

fresh install of 1.10a, applied the latest RR mod, then your mod = critical error.

Gray_Lensman

Tue May 27, 2008 7:25 pm

deleted

TeMagic
Sergeant

Tue May 27, 2008 9:08 pm

Gray_Lensman wrote:It is not advisable to apply the RR mod files before other MODs. The other MODs are tailored specifically for the version of the game they are listed for. The RR mod makes changes that are generally useful for a "vanilla" version of the game only, as it contains information/changes that will be applied to the next update patch. In a sense, the RR MOD is not really a MOD as it is a collection of future changes to be made to the vanilla files in the next update.

My suggestion is to have 2 installations of the game. One being vanilla updated to the latest update and then apply the latest RR Mod update to it... With the exception that the v1.10b update of the game contains all the RR MOD updates to date.

For playing the other MODs, make a second installation of the game, apply the specific update patch that the MOD is specified for, then apply that MOD to that installation.

That is fine, but does the RR mod in some way interfere with the Leader Mod? I can't seem to connect the dots in this case...

Gray_Lensman

Wed May 28, 2008 1:03 am

deleted

Brochgale
Brigadier General

Wed May 28, 2008 1:10 am

Is leader mod compatible with 1.10b? Or will it still be on previous patch?
"How noble is one, to love his country:how sad the fate to mingle with those you hate"
W.A.Fletcher "Memoirs Of A Confederate Soldier"

Gray_Lensman

Wed May 28, 2008 1:20 am

deleted

Brochgale
Brigadier General

Wed May 28, 2008 1:25 am

Gray_Lensman wrote:Probably not until Runyan reworks it.

OK - Ta for info. I am running one game at moment with Leader Mod against one of my nephews and it is handy to know exactly the state of play.
"How noble is one, to love his country:how sad the fate to mingle with those you hate"

runyan99

Wed May 28, 2008 1:26 am

It probably works fine except for the changes to the Mexican units. I haven't been on top of the patches lately, but I can make sure everything is up to date and compatible in a few days.

Brochgale
Brigadier General

Wed May 28, 2008 1:30 am

runyan99 wrote:It probably works fine except for the changes to the Mexican units. I haven't been on top of the patches lately, but I can make sure everything is up to date and compatible in a few days.

Will probably play present game out to conclusion anyway - since my nephew is starting to play smarter - then go for any updates when they come along. So there is no immediate hurry.
Way game is developing the Mexico situation is not of any particular relevance to either of us.

Return to “AACW Mods”