Ebbingford

error starting campaign

Sun Dec 16, 2007 3:47 pm

Is it just me or does anyone else have a problem starting a game. Clicked on the Spanish Ulcer campaign to start a game, didn't even get the map come up, just a critical error message and then ctd. Here is the log generated.

PhilThib

Sun Dec 16, 2007 4:18 pm

Have you patched the game ? If so, which version ?

Ebbingford

Sun Dec 16, 2007 4:22 pm

Yes hello, latest version 1.02. I have just managed to load the spanish game, don't think I moved or altered anything, and then clicked next turn. Critical error message and then ctd. Here is the log of it.

PhilThib

Sun Dec 16, 2007 4:31 pm

Can't help from here and today... My lead dev, Pocus, will search your report. It is very strange. Post your DxDiag here as well.
I would suggest a complete removal of the game from the pC (clean everything and backup your saves) and reinstall clean... might help.

We'll check more tomorrow from the office..

Ebbingford

Sun Dec 16, 2007 4:38 pm

I have already uninstalled, run ccleaner, defragged, restarted and then reinstalled prior to posting this. Here is my dxdiag

PhilThib

Sun Dec 16, 2007 5:58 pm

Thanks, we'll check that right away first thing tomorrow morning..

Pocus

Mon Dec 17, 2007 3:56 pm

My game designer ;) was right to ask for your DxDiag because the problem is here. Your driver date is too old. When you get CTD without doing much thing, it is generally a video driver problem.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Ebbingford

Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:01 pm

I'm not having much luck here :p leure: Have updated my video card driver as suggested. Tried Spanish campaign again, placed a few units inside towns, moved the RN, went out of room for a couple of minutes as wife was on the phone, came back in and critical error message was waiting on the screen for me. :p leure:
Here is my log.

Ebbingford

Wed Dec 19, 2007 2:14 pm

I have just tried again, this time with all the low options set in the game menu, textures, memory etc. I am playing with all antivirus and firewall shut down , game was installed with both shut down. Rebooted my computer before starting again. This time I got as far as the turn processing, battle in Madrid and then critical error and ctd. I have sent the log and save to support.
What's wrong with my bloody computer, no one else seems to be having these problems. :tournepas

Pocus

Wed Dec 19, 2007 2:15 pm

I'm not having much luck here :p leure: Have updated my video card driver as suggested. Tried Spanish campaign again, placed a few units inside towns, moved the RN, went out of room for a couple of minutes as wife was on the phone, came back in and critical error message was waiting on the screen for me. :p leure:

Video Hardware issue, this is shown because of the nature of the error, and also because you had it spontaneously, while the game was waiting for you, iddle.

This really does not bode well, and it is possible we have to refund you, as for hardware issues, we can't intervene past asking the user to update the driver. Try to use some of the system options, in the Options Window, System tab: Minimum texture size and Minimum Memory usage, it can helps.

Sorry for the trouble.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Ebbingford

Sat Dec 22, 2007 11:16 am

Sorted!!!!! Ran Memtest, several errors with my memory. Bought new and the game runs fine. Thank you Pocus for all the time you've spent trying to help me, and for suggesting checking my memory :coeurs:
Off now to try and rid the Peninsular of those damned froggies, present company excepted :niark:

Pocus

Sat Dec 22, 2007 12:32 pm

Thanks you too for confirming publicly that this was an hardware problem. Problematic memory chips are indeed a possibility.

What is the utility you used? It can helps others to know.

Ebbingford

Sat Dec 22, 2007 1:05 pm

Memtest from http://hcidesign.com/memtest/ freebie, sorted out my problem quickly :nuts:

Return to “NCP Technical support / Aide technique”