Pocus

Who plays Dominions I, II and soon III ?

Tue Apr 11, 2006 2:40 pm

I'm a dominions addict. (http://www.illwinter.com, distributed by Shrapnelgames). I confess my sin openly and in public. Am I alone being a dom-junky out there? :sourcil:

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Sandra

Tue Apr 11, 2006 2:48 pm

*summons PDF and Sunray burning 100 astral gems*

... omg it was a serious site here, without any witches, ghouls and wyverns...

Sol Invictus

Tue Apr 11, 2006 3:32 pm

I love strategy games and I love fantasy; however I have never played a fantasy strategy game that I thought was good. I never have tried the Dominion games.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"The fruit of too much liberty is slavery", Cicero

moustic

very nice maps...

Tue Apr 11, 2006 3:41 pm

Image Tyrande by Robin Image Shahrivar by Sandra
http://www.illwinter.com/dom2/maps.html
http://www.vorg.fr site de gestion des bénévoles

Frank E

Tue Apr 11, 2006 4:34 pm

The last Dom2 game I hosted was on the Tyrande map. Was that done by one of the people here? If so, it's a very beautiful map. :coeurs: With a bit of balance for the starting locations, it would have been the perfect multiplayer map.

Looking forward to seeing if Pocus is as good as he thinks he is when Dom3 comes out. :niark:

Pocus

Tue Apr 11, 2006 4:41 pm

Robin and Sandra are the two artists of BoA yes.

I have not said I was good. I just said I will kick your arse Frank. Its different :)
ok, joke aside, this is the game I know the best (except for BoA of course) and I battled in multi with it since 2001. So I hope you will owe me a tequilla after the dust has settled!

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Korrigan
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue Apr 11, 2006 6:16 pm

- Good evening, my name is Korrigan

- Good evening Korrigan

- Well, me too I used to play Dominion a lot. It was awfull, I was pbeming and I could not help but MMing everything, I could spend hours just adjusting my spell casters orders to maximise my combos...

- And why did you choose to stop?

- My girl friend was fed up, every other evening I would just say 'just two minutes to check my turn, honey" and then I will just go to bed at 2 PM... She tried to destroy my computer...

- Thank you for your testimony, Korrigan. Do you wish to add something?

- Yes, any of you would go for a blitz on Tyrande, we just miss a Marignon player and here we go!!!

:nuts:
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference." Mark Twain

Frank E

Tue Apr 11, 2006 7:57 pm

Pocus wrote:I have not said I was good. I just said I will kick your arse Frank. Its different :)

Oooh, he mocks me! Them's fightin' words! :p

You do realize there's only one way to settle this?

Pocus wrote:ok, joke aside, this is the game I know the best (except for BoA of course) and I battled in multi with it since 2001. So I hope you will owe me a tequilla after the dust has settled!

Given that I wasn't even the best player in our group, you might have a point. :niark: That distinction went to Alex (posts as QAlex on usenet).

As for the tequila, I seem to recall that I'm already one up in that department. :D

Frank E

Tue Apr 11, 2006 7:59 pm

[quote="Sol Invictus"]I love strategy games and I love fantasy]

The best comparison I've seen is that Dominions is a cross between MoM and Stars, if you're familiar with either of those. Dom2 isn't worth picking up at this point, version 3 should be coming out in about 2 months.

Pocus

Tue Apr 11, 2006 8:43 pm

Frank E wrote:Oooh, he mocks me! Them's fightin' words! :p

You do realize there's only one way to settle this?

Given that I wasn't even the best player in our group, you might have a point. :niark: That distinction went to Alex (posts as QAlex on usenet).

As for the tequila, I seem to recall that I'm already one up in that department. :D

yes, this is to even the things, one tequila for each ;)

I propose we play with (or against) each other when Dom3 comes out. I have a dom2 game to finish, but I don't feel to restart one, I'm a bit burned on it for now.

Adlertag

Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:59 pm

Dominion III seems to be only a cosmetic little upgrade of Dominion II as far as I can see with the recent screenshots.
Furthermore the game is in development for a too long time, it's strange...
La mort est un mur, mourir est une brèche.

PDF

Thu Apr 13, 2006 5:34 pm

Hello, I'm a Dom addict, it was through the game that I met Pocus indeed :cwboy: !

As for Dom3 I still have faith, we'll have 350 new creatures, 150 new spells etc..
Dev time is not unusual for the Swedish Illwinter guys, they sleep for all winter, that is 9 months a year :niark: ... Seriously, they make the game as a hobby, and have others jobs, so they don't make it fast.
Dom3 should be out in 2-3 months anyway.

vLabz
Sergeant

Thu May 11, 2006 2:45 pm

I too like Dominions a lot. I discovered play by mail with the Dominions series. I'm not very experienced and I consider myself still as a beginner.

I'm loooonging for Dominions III, a slightly better interface, slightly better graphics, more spells, more units and nations, and a random map generator... not a revolution but in a word : better.

Durin

Dominion not addict at all

Thu May 11, 2006 4:52 pm

Pocus, you said that you were addicted. I have two or three remarks for you :

1 - You don't have the time, you must finished your software first :siffle:
2 - You said you don't like the MM of War in the pacific, sorry but doom his worst. :niark:
3 - i lost against you :p leure:

CristoFire-Ice
Brigadier General

Thu May 11, 2006 7:01 pm

Anyone knows if there is an official release date?

Adlertag

Thu May 11, 2006 7:18 pm

It's already on pre-order ( Shrapnel web site).
But maybe it should be renamed Dominion 2.5 ....but not sold as an add-on that it should be . :(
La mort est un mur, mourir est une brèche.

PDF

Thu May 11, 2006 7:51 pm

CristoFire-Ice wrote:Anyone knows if there is an official release date?

Sometimes in the summer we hope, at that time the Swedish developers have long days for working :siffle:

CristoFire-Ice
Brigadier General

Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:06 pm

The game is about to be released. It has gone gold and will be available on October 2nd. :nuts:
[color="DarkOrange"]"- Il est à vous ce boulet?" [/color]:grr:

Donegal
Corporal

Sat Sep 02, 2006 7:41 pm

Is they any manual available for Dominions II in PDF? The demo is unplayable.
The interface is horrible,the graphics poor, anyway the idea could be good..

PDF

Sat Sep 02, 2006 8:56 pm

Donegal wrote:Is they any manual available for Dominions II in PDF? The demo is unplayable.
The interface is horrible,the graphics poor, anyway the idea could be good..

No manual exists in electronic format but there is a very good guide/tutorial here : http://www.maladjustite.com/dom2_walkthru.html and a detailed FAQ here : http://www.shrapnelcommunity.com/threads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=261690&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1.
Don't give up for some initial poor impressions, this game is just unique. I'll ban anyone saying ill of it :turc: :niark:

Primasprit

Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:32 am

How about Dom3 in single player mode? Is it worth to pick it up for this or should it only be pbem ?

Pocus

Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:06 pm

Definitively worth buying, if you like heroic fantasy. The AI is not great, but do a fair job with higher level of advantages. It has some problems on the end game, mastering the bigger spells, but with a material advantage you will lose quite some games before being able to master magic efficiently anyway. And with 60+ racial versions and subversions and an astonishing lot of spells and items, you will have the pleasure of discovering new things for dozen of games.

I play Dominions (I, II, III) since 2001. I suppose I'm a fan somehow :)

Primasprit

Wed Feb 07, 2007 2:03 pm

In fact I read only good things about this game (despite the fact that it is widely considered more a Dominion 2.5, which doesn't matter for me since I am new to the game).
It seems it can only be ordered as a physical shipment from USA, or do you know other distributors?

PDF

Wed Feb 07, 2007 2:20 pm

Primasprit,
I play Dom since 2002, and I'm also somewhat of a fan :)
The game is only sold online, by Shrapnel and some Linux software vendors such as Tuxgames.
If you don't have Dom2 you shouldn't hesitate to buy Dom3 or 2.5 if you prefer to call it so. Even in SP the game is highly enjoyable, it's just not the same challenge than multiplayer (pbem or IP, but I do pbem only).

Pocus

Wed Feb 07, 2007 2:58 pm

you can buy it from several countries in europe, as illwinter is a Swedish studio. (but only online yes, as PDF says).

Korrigan
AGEod Guard of Honor

Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:05 pm

IMHO: PBEM only. The game is really complex and as far asI'm concerned I don't bother going in that much depth of reflexion and strategy testing against an AI...
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference." Mark Twain

jimkehn
Lieutenant

Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:30 am

I downloaded the Demo for Dom III. Is this a game???

Or a career?

:sourcil:

PDF

Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:56 pm

jimkehn wrote:I downloaded the Demo for Dom III. Is this a game???

Or a career?

:sourcil:

Or even a call ? :innocent: :niark:

jimkehn
Lieutenant

Wed Mar 07, 2007 2:08 pm

OK...played the demo somewhat. Man....there is no depth, here, is there?? :8o: No wonder the full version has a 300 page manual.

So is there much of a PBEM community with this game? I could see where a multi-player PBEM would be a ton a fun.

PDF

Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:15 pm

jimkehn wrote:OK...played the demo somewhat. Man....there is no depth, here, is there?? :8o: No wonder the full version has a 300 page manual.

So is there much of a PBEM community with this game? I could see where a multi-player PBEM would be a ton a fun.

Not sure about what you mean with your cryptic remark about depth ... :tournepas
There's a small but active pbem/online community at shrapnelgames forums (Dom3 MP subforum), and a smallish but colorful French community at Cyberstratege site, where you'll see Pocus too ! :siffle: :niark:

Return to “General discussions”