Guru80
Colonel

My Questions concerning Scenario's and modding (check back often ;-) )

Sat Nov 03, 2007 2:24 am

I will ask a lot of questions because even though I know HOW it works I have to know WHY it works ;-)

• Includes, are 2 Various Events.sct needed under the events tab in the 1861 July xls file or was that a mistake but has no consequences? If it is needed, why?

• Under the Startup at Start tab when you get the where the Depots are listed in the file there are 3 ChangeSupply added in there. What is the purpose of it? - ( ******* really curious about this one by the way ****** )

• Can someone explain the StartUnit, EndUnit block to me? For example, this one:
    CSA Army of the Potomac StartGHQ|uni_CSA_Hq2 NULL NULL Brig.Gen. Beauregard Potomac HQ|Potomac Art. NULL NULL NULL
    CSA P.G.T. Beauregard EndGHQ|uni_CSA_Beauregard3 NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL

I am curious as to the StartGHQ, EndGHQ. Is putting Beauregard before the EndGHQ putting him in command of the Army of Potomac? I guess just explain why it is that way because it looks odd to me :bonk: and in the StartUnit, EndUnit blocks there is a number after startunit such as StartUnit|2|uni_CSA_Bde3NC - what does that mean?

*****OK, understand this one. The StartUnit goes on the first line and EndUnit goes on the last line but it is just added in a spot that was confusing to me since it isn't in its own box, it is in the cell with the unit as well and the number after StartUnit is the number of units in the group.*********

Primasprit

Sat Nov 03, 2007 9:35 am

Hi Guru80!

Guru80 wrote:
  • Includes, are 2 Various Events.sct needed under the events tab in the 1861 July xls file or was that a mistake but has no consequences? If it is needed, why?

Do you refer to this section?

The first line ScriptName is the name of the event script, the other lines with the keyword Include tell the game that if the 1861 July Campaign.sct is used by a scenario also all the event scripts listed after the Include-command are used. This is done to re-use event scripts for different scenarios.

• Under the Startup at Start tab when you get the where the Depots are listed in the file there are 3 ChangeSupply added in there. What is the purpose of it? - ( ******* really curious about this one by the way ****** )

They add supplies to the selected region and fill the depot this way.

*****OK, understand this one. The StartUnit goes on the first line and EndUnit goes on the last line but it is just added in a spot that was confusing to me since it isn't in its own box, it is in the cell with the unit as well and the number after StartUnit is the number of units in the group.*********
[/LIST]

It might be a bit confusing at the beginning.
StartGHQ/EndGHQ create an army, MakeHQ an corps and StartUnit/EndUnit divisions.

Cheers
Norbert

Guru80
Colonel

Sat Nov 03, 2007 4:25 pm

For the ChangeSupply, does it only affect the depot right below it? I am just curious because the USA in the section of the campaign XLS file where the Depots are listed (quite a few of them at that) there is only 2 ChangeSupply commands. I guess I am just trying to wrap my head around why there are only 2 ChangeSupply but so many Depots???

As for the Includes, I understand what they are for (I was a programmer once upon a time ;-) ) I was just curious about this part:

Include Various Events.sct
Include Kentucky Events.sct

and wondered if it was required or just a mistake.

Korrigan
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sat Nov 03, 2007 8:22 pm

It's redundant.
Thanks for pointing it out
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference." Mark Twain

Primasprit

Sun Nov 04, 2007 1:08 pm

Guru80 wrote:For the ChangeSupply, does it only affect the depot right below it? I am just curious because the USA in the section of the campaign XLS file where the Depots are listed (quite a few of them at that) there is only 2 ChangeSupply commands. I guess I am just trying to wrap my head around why there are only 2 ChangeSupply but so many Depots???

The depots store and forward supply from cities which produce these supplies. Maybe these two depots (I didn't checked that) are placed on some critical places where initial supply is needed.

As for the Includes, I understand what they are for (I was a programmer once upon a time ;-) ) I was just curious about this part:

Include Kentucky Events.sct

and wondered if it was required or just a mistake.

Ah.. I didn't saw that doubling. :bonk:

Guru80
Colonel

Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:57 am

I have noticed in Param0 of some units in the Setup at Start tab of the Scenario have numbers in them such as:

USA 2nd Bde uni_USA_Bde3IL 2 NULL Col. C. Marsh 11th & 20th Illinois|45th & 48th Illinois|NULL NULL NULL NULL

What does the 2 (or whatever number may be there) represent?

Also, I see in some units in the Shiloh scenario XLS file have NULL appended where you name the elements. For example:

11th & 20th Illinois|45th & 48th Illinois|NULL

It seems to have something to do with the first question regarding the number in Param0 because everyone that contains a number also appends NULL as above.

Return to “Modding AGE engine games”