McNaughton

LocalStrings

Sat Oct 27, 2007 11:36 pm

How do you modify the LocalStrings.ACW file? I keep on getting characters replaced with ? which totally messes up the ending file. My computer can read and create these symbols, but for some reason the conversion to CSV or when I just edit the CSV file, it removes these symbols and creates ? marks.

How do I edit the LocalStrings file and have it work without all of the errors?

Primasprit

Sun Oct 28, 2007 12:09 am

I use OpenOffice to edit the LocalStrings xls-files and don't have any issues at all. I guess the ? marks are created because the program you use (Excel?) don't like the Cyrillic characters.
Perhaps you can change the character encoding in your software to Unicode, this might help.

Cheers
Norbert

McNaughton

Sun Oct 28, 2007 12:30 am

Well, I saved it a particular way (by selecting no in a save option) whick kept everything looking ok. I am testing it out. Thanks for the help!

Pocus

Sun Oct 28, 2007 12:10 pm

delete the Russian Column, it is not needed. Beside Russian columns are slow, lacking motorization until late in the war. Oops.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

McNaughton

Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:57 pm

Pocus wrote:delete the Russian Column, it is not needed. Beside Russian columns are slow, lacking motorization until late in the war. Oops.

Well, it actually nullified certain symbols (such as ¤ ) which are heavily detrimental to the game if they are omitted. I figured it out, but, the process seems not to work anymore (as all of the ¤ and other symbols change into ? again for no apparant reason).

Primasprit

Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:35 pm

McNaughton wrote:Well, it actually nullified certain symbols (such as ¤ ) which are heavily detrimental to the game if they are omitted. I figured it out, but, the process seems not to work anymore (as all of the ¤ and other symbols change into ? again for no apparant reason).

May I ask which software you are using to edit the files?

McNaughton

Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:38 pm

Primasprit wrote:May I ask which software you are using to edit the files?

Microsoft Excel, if I save it in a particular way, it usually works, but, it requires that I follow some specific steps, if I mistep one of them, the file ends up corrupted. Any suggestion for a program which can save the csv without eliminating these symbols?

Primasprit

Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:53 pm

I use OpenOffice. It is free. http://www.openoffice.org/

Pocus

Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:39 am

that is really strange. I use it too (and everybody in the team). is it a very old version, or -shivers- a Vista one?

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

McNaughton

Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:07 pm

Pocus wrote:that is really strange. I use it too (and everybody in the team). is it a very old version, or -shivers- a Vista one?

It is 2003, and no, only my laptop has Vista (shudder).

Anyway, I am able to muddle around it, it is probably due to North American characters and European characters in transition, and I have to do a specific method of saving in order for it to work. The problem is, I keep on forgetting the steps... Blah!

Jagger
AGEod Grognard

Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:28 pm

McNaughton wrote:It is 2003, and no, only my laptop has Vista (shudder).

Anyway, I am able to muddle around it, it is probably due to North American characters and European characters in transition, and I have to do a specific method of saving in order for it to work. The problem is, I keep on forgetting the steps... Blah!

I use open office and haven't had any problems with string additions.

Pocus

Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:44 pm

delete the russian column, no patch use it for now, and this will allow you to save the file without unicode.

Return to “Modding AGE engine games”