Peter Jackson
Civilian

Newcomer to the game. Please help

Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:10 pm

I've played other AGEOD games but only just got To End All Wars. I'm playing Western Entente to get a feel and have two problems.
1. I cannot find a way to get my Canadian troops to Europe. The manual mentions a transition box but I can't find it. If I try the redeploy I'm told anywhere in Europe is an illegal destination. If I load them onto ships they don't seem to be allowed in the Eastern Atlantic. Canadians formed the elite of the British Empire forces on the Western Front and I'm sure I'll need them.
2. Being a beginner I've made some errors and many of my French armies are unsupplied and exposed, but the German AI seems paralysed. It shuffles a few corps about ineffectually in back areas but seems content to let me have a free rein. Just as well as I can't bring my Canadians over. When I played Wars of Succession and as the Grand Alliance, after a few victories the Bourbons' AI was also completely passive. Is this a common problem with AGEOD's AI?

Durk

Re: Newcomer to the game. Please help

Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:02 am

Welcome to the forum. I am glad you are enjoying. I am not an expert on playing against the AI as I primarily play pbem, but maybe some ideas for you.
1. With regard to your Canadians, load them on a transport and unload them in Brest. This is what I do, they always go. If this does not work for you, please explain.
2. You have some options to make AI better, have you used these. In the options panel one is for AI behavior. I understand the AI in this game can really be a challenge.

Bargus
Corporal

Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:46 pm

Welcome Pete!

Concerning your second point, as Durk said you can adjust AI settings in the Options menu on the main page. Some things that might help are setting the AI difficulty higher, raising the AI's aggressiveness, and giving the AI activation bonuses. There are some War Plans the Central Powers can take that delay the UK joining, so that can add to the challenge as well; but there's no way to make the AI choose those plans.

Once you're comfortable with game, to make things more interesting and to give the AI a leg up, you can put restrictions on yourself. As the French, you could be committed to the offensive early in the war, as they were historically. Just an example, and it may not be your thing.

Hope you enjoy the game. These forums are a great resource :)

epaminondas
Colonel

Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:02 am

Hi Pete and welcome aboard.

On Point 1, I think you're half-way home but maybe falling at the final hurdle. Playing the CP I had the bright idea of shipping off a corps or so to stir things up in the Far East and encountered the same difficulty you describe. As you've noted, the redeployment option isn't available when attempting to move units across maps, so that left me with the shipping route option. After much swearing and kicking of furniture it became clear that to make this work I had to make the entire journey in a single bite.

It appears that the system won't allow you to plot a course from an embarkation port to an ocean destination on a new map then pick it up and progress it to a port there. Instead have to drag your plot directly from embarkation point to debarkation port in a single swoop of the mouse. It aint all that easy to do, but I figure if it worked for me going East it should work for you heading West.

Return to “To End All Wars”