vaalen
AGEod Guard of Honor

How do you improve the Temple of Solomon?

Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:31 pm

I have been having a great time as Judea, but I have not figured out how you can build more levels to the Temple of Solomon.

I have taken the decision to do so, early in the game. I have a synagogue and a Zealot barracks in my capital of Judea.

I have recently become a level three government, which, in this case, is a theocracy

I have yet to see anything I can click on to start building a higher level to the temple.

Does it just come up as an option in the choices of buildings, which means that I should shuffle them a lot until it comes up? Or does something else happen?

Any help will be very much appreciated, as I am eager to build these new levels and see what they can do.

Durk

Re: How do you improve the Temple of Solomon?

Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:02 am

I do not yet have an answer, sorry, but I am in search of such. If I find out how to make those golden doors, I will let you know. Currently, I am a client state of Egypt

vaalen
AGEod Guard of Honor

Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:50 am

Durk wrote:I do not yet have an answer, sorry, but I am in search of such. If I find out how to make those golden doors, I will let you know. Currently, I am a client state of Egypt

It is a mystery, is it not? I appreciate learning that I am not the only one who is puzzled by this. If you do learn to unlock the Golden doors, I will be happy to learn how it is done.

I also want to thank you for your good advice in another thread about the fun of playing these tiny nations. Starting out with an almost worthless desert province, and using the events to build up, and to strike when you see the chance, is really a lot of fun, and different from any game I have played.

Currently, I just made peace with Palmyra, which had driven the Seleucids out of Syria and Phoenicia, and then attacked me. I took Phoenicia and most of Syria from them, to add to Nabatea and Palestina, which I already had. I have a stable theocracy. But things are not as great as they seem. I have only two decent leaders left, plus a total zero, and my two decent leaders are in their sixties. If Palmyra strikes when I have no decent leaders, i am sure that I can defeat them. And, if Egypt, which sent me a message saying that they should join the Palmarines against me when Palmyra first declared war, attacks at the same time, I do not see how I can beat both of them at once, especially with no decent leaders. And my army is too big for my manpower, so I can only support all of it by using an event to buy extra manpower. And Syria is very poorly developed, maybe because I am now its fourth owner, as it has been quite a battleground.

This makes for a very interesting situation, and a challenging one.

vaalen
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:48 am

Jimwinsor and Yaltz331 from the Slitherine forum came up with the answer.

To build the upgrades to the temple, You must have two things...

Six purple buildings, in other words, culture buildings, in Judea.

Level two roads in Judea. This usually means regional roads, which must be built there.

This is in addition to having your capital, a synagogue, and a zealot barracks there as well. Your capital counts as one of the required culture buildings.

I tried this and was able to build upgrades, level two and three so far. Very beneficial they are, indeed.

loki100
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:54 pm

general point, you can check all these sorts of issues in the structures file in the game database.

useful columns are:

ao - if it is limited to certain terrain
ap - if it can't be built in certain terrain
az - if there is a road constraint (usually you need the second one for many world/national buildings)
bl-bm if it can/can't be built at certain civ levels
bn if there are pre/co requisites

I find it invaluable when trying to work out why some options don't come up. You can also use it in reverse - for eg the crafter district is a precondition for a lot of comerce buildings, but then that can crowd out something you really want. So while that is an excellent early build, you may also want to disband a few to give you more chance of getting some options.

Durk

Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:40 pm

vaalen - I love your description of your game. Small faction can be fun, but I have now played three where I lasted less than four game turns; so players who chose this fun need to be ready to restart.

Pocus

Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:37 am

It is sometime hopeless, if you get an impromptu DOW or your enemy (at war with another) manages to gain the upper hand and turn his eyes on you.
And sometime it is just difficult, for many many turns. Don't quit! The best gaming memories are from awesome comeback :dada:

vaalen
AGEod Guard of Honor

Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:08 am

Durk wrote:vaalen - I love your description of your game. Small faction can be fun, but I have now played three where I lasted less than four game turns; so players who chose this fun need to be ready to restart.

Glad you enjoyed the description. But in my first game as Judea, Egypt destroyed my faction in less than twenty turns.

In my second game as Judea, I took Jerusalem and foolishly attacked Nabatea, wanting to capture the benefits of Petra. A much larger Nabatean army wiped out my only army, then easily retook Jerusalem.This also occurred before turn twenty.

In my current game, I took Jerusalem from its garrison once again. Egypt did not attack, though we were at war, because they had their hands full with a war with Nubia. Nabatea, their client state, masssed a huge army in Petra. I stayed in Jerusalem, noting that their army was too large for them to feed, and waited until their army was reduced by starvation, then attacked with my own reinforced army, and took Petra, wiping out their army in the process. I quickly took their other provinces, and was on the way to empire. Great fun.

vaalen
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:17 am

loki100 wrote:general point, you can check all these sorts of issues in the structures file in the game database.

useful columns are:

ao - if it is limited to certain terrain
ap - if it can't be built in certain terrain
az - if there is a road constraint (usually you need the second one for many world/national buildings)
bl-bm if it can/can't be built at certain civ levels
bn if there are pre/co requisites

I find it invaluable when trying to work out why some options don't come up. You can also use it in reverse - for eg the crafter district is a precondition for a lot of comerce buildings, but then that can crowd out something you really want. So while that is an excellent early build, you may also want to disband a few to give you more chance of getting some options.

Thank you Loki, this is invaluable information. Trying to get the buildings you want can be quite a challenge in this game, but this definitely helps.

Return to “Field of Glory: Empires”