Gilmer G
Civilian

Re: Will Units only be Giants ? Or will AGEOD Style Units be an Option?

Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:07 am

Please +1 on old style counters with portrait of leader.

I am the old Gilmer/H Gilmer/H Gilmer 3 and every other iteration of Gilmer. :)

allan_boa
Colonel

Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:24 pm

I was wondering, isn't the game going to be moddable ? Because old Ageod-style counters could be added (and for free) by the modders community ? No ?

Stratman
Captain

Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:20 pm

allan_boa wrote: old Ageod-style counters could be added (and for free) by the modders community ? No ?

Yes, Absolutely, but for old games!
But now as I understand modders community may replace one Giants Units with another :niark:

allan_boa
Colonel

Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:27 pm

??? Sorry, what do you mean ?

Stratman
Captain

Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:59 pm

allan_boa wrote:

??? Sorry, what do you mean ?

I mean unit`s counters from old engine games can be replaced by other counters with modding.
But new engine is about Giants Units at the moment and can be replaced only by other Giants Units because of the code.

I am not IT-guy,... sorry for the stupidity if I`m wrong :siffle:

Pocus

Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:37 pm

I guess someone can replace the 3D models you dislike with 3D counters, but shown 'flat'. It is all in 3D these days, even flat 2D games are using 3D engines. That's the way Microsoft did DirectX.

Don Powell
Sergeant

Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:48 pm

Pocus wrote:I guess someone can replace the 3D models you dislike with 3D counters, but shown 'flat'. It is all in 3D these days, even flat 2D games are using 3D engines. That's the way Microsoft did DirectX.

Ok - that someone not being AGEOD It seems ? :blink:

I suppose we did not get enough volume here to warrant the effort.

Ok - if we're stuck with Giants, will there at least be a way to turn off the animations?

The non-animated pieces could then at least be seen as big chess pieces or as the little army statues used on planning maps before computers / printing presses etc ....

Pocus

Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:21 pm

That would need editing the models files, freezing their animation. But deciding if we should do that or add a few extra custom content to some nations, I know what I'll choose :eyebrow:

Don Powell
Sergeant

Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:54 pm

Ok ... enough nitpicking on this for a while ... so you guys can just focus on delivering good content for the initial release :)

But Pocus - please keep in mind, the substantial response seen here .....

New DLC etc in the future should bring opportunities to also satisfy the folks who value the traditional AGEOD counter style ... (if sales are good) - so please don't forget those who have spoken on this ....

khbynum
Major

Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:06 pm

Goodbye, AGEod. I hope you put all the money you made from me to good use, because you won't get any more.

Gray Fox
AGEod Guard of Honor

Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:55 pm

Khbynum, I'm with the beta testers for this game and I can assure you that it is top notch. I believe you would enjoy the strong historical flavor. I hope that you reconsider your decision.

Sincerely,
Gray Fox
I'm the 51st shade of gray. Eat, pray, Charge!

loki100
AGEod Guard of Honor

Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:44 am

Terrible confession, when I first started playing AGEOD games I found the counter style off-putting.

I guess unless there is a good reason I simply preferred the NATO style of counters.

Now it didn't take me long to come to appreciate their approach :cool:

At most practical zoom levels, the Empire's 'counters' are no more intrusive on the map display than the traditional AGEOD leadership counters. If you are zoomed in very close (& I mean looking at 3-4 regions if that), then yes they tower over everything but I almost never opt for that point of view in any case.

If you have say Northern Italy as your screen, then the units are not intrusive.

khbynum wrote:Goodbye, AGEod. I hope you put all the money you made from me to good use, because you won't get any more.

Each to their own, but I really can't understand anyone rejecting what is shaping up to be a quite brilliant game because in one (rarely used) zoom level the units are too large.
Last edited by loki100 on Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

loki100
AGEod Guard of Honor

Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:45 am

Terrible confession, when I first started playing AGEOD games I found the counter style off-putting.

I guess unless there is a good reason I simply preferred the NATO style of counters.

Now it didn't take me long to come to appreciate their approach :cool:

At most practical zoom levels, the Empire's 'counters' are no more intrusive on the map display than the traditional AGEOD leadership counters. If you are zoomed in very close (& I mean looking at 3-4 regions if that), then yes they tower over everything but I almost never opt for that point of view in any case.

If you have say Northern Italy as your screen, then the units are not intrusive.

khbynum wrote:Goodbye, AGEod. I hope you put all the money you made from me to good use, because you won't get any more.

Each to their own, but I really can't understand anyone rejecting what is shaping up to be a quite brilliant game because in one (rarely used) zoom level the units are too large.

(apols for the double posting - no idea how that happened)

allan_boa
Colonel

Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:32 pm

Because of the "giants?" Seems a little bit extreme :-) :niark: :niark: :niark:
No, this game is extremely promising ! :dada:

Don Powell
Sergeant

Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:34 pm

For me, the "atmosphere" is quite important as well as good game play.

I returned Ancient Aggressors because "it felt" horrible and I had a hard time trying to get to the good content.

After experiencing PON, I give AGEOD a bit more slack - and the Beta Testers seem to be confirming that it is worth it.

So - even though it seems that we'll be stuck with Giants, I am still in ...

allan_boa
Colonel

Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:08 pm

Pocus wrote:I guess someone can replace the 3D models you dislike with 3D counters, but shown 'flat'.

I'm sure someone will find a way ;-)

TC271
Sergeant

Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:32 am

I dislike the 'giants' but find in bizzare someone would renounce the game and indeed the publisher months before release just because of one rather minor stylistic choice.

Gronards really are the hardest market to develop games for.

Pocus

Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:46 pm

Indeed. They favor substance over cosmetic, but yet, they prefer to forfeit a game based on visuals!

Avalon
Corporal

Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:56 pm

I just have been playing Aje while waitting new jewell, to let the time pass.

Not sure if i will demand or not 2d cards after trying the new game with 3d figurines, just sure the game will be a good one because it is an Ageod product...not jocking about it, I still enjoy Aje, i like your other games, but Aje have something the rest lack, not sure what it is, probably the time period because i like ancients times, but i guess it go deeper, and your engine works great to move that time period conflicts better than others.

So i just hope i will enjoy this new game, cause for sure will be a good one because the time period it run, anciente times, and because it is an Ageod´s game.

Anyway, good or not, i just hope to enjoy one day an Aje II, a must buy for sure to me.

"Audaces Fortuna Iuvat"

allan_boa
Colonel

Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:16 pm

Avalon wrote:Anyway, good or not, i just hope to enjoy one day an Aje II, a must buy for sure to me.

Well, I guess 'FOG Empire' is AJE 2 ...
Watching the video again and 'giants' definitely suck ... it looks like Europa Universalis ...

Don Powell
Sergeant

Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:26 pm

For me, there is no right or wrong on this topic - just a matter of taste and priority.

It's much like music.

I've had folks say to me - "That form of music is not good since the lyrics are not intellectually provocative" and others who may say that a certain piece of music / lyrics are very meaningful but listening experience is not special or enjoyable.

As with music, it is nice to have both. This would create a "full" positive experience.

As it stands with FOG : E - I will try to ignore the animated Giants and focus on the game play - focusing on the intellectual stimulation and challenge rather than the sensory aspect.

The hope is that the one positive aspect will make it worth while to bear the unpleasant element.

It does raise concerns for the future however,

I'm hoping AGEOD is the type of company that will look at the feedback given here and make the necessary accommodations for the future.

Or perhaps the only consideration with the new 3D units it to pull in new customers?

As noted previously - games like Strategic Command successfully cater to both groups with selectable options.

Will future AGEOD releases also take into consideration, the preferences of the original fans ?

Return to “Field of Glory: Empires”