Durk

How to play 1850 if Austria's neighbor

Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:53 am

Just a note to all. Many of you know this, I did not and several fellow players did not, if you are playing as Prussia, Sardinia/Piedmont, the Ottoman, France and even Russia - Austria is a beast. Do not make an alliance with her. She is so strong in the opening all other nations need to keep her controlled and limit her conquests.
Do not think of Austria in 1914, Austria 1850 is a potential terror of the world.
Later, post 1860, you can make alliances.

Citizen X
AGEod Veteran

Re: How to play 1850 if Austria's neighbor

Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:42 am

That's especially true with France, S-P and Prussia, as it might cripple future development in the cases of German and Italian unification.

Khanti
Captain

Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:14 am

Speaking of Austria and Italian unification. Just playing as Austria from 1850. I tried to erase S-P before Risorgimento kick in. Yet after taking all S--P provinces including Sardinia (hard naval invasions) there is still not that 5 points per turn to war score. So I can only claim 1-2 provinces in peace treaty. The question is: do great powers got that -5 points to war score if totally occupied or it only works vs. other minor countries (Saxony, Parma, Tuscany worked that way).
Meteoryt-like user. Strikes and disappears.

Citizen X
AGEod Veteran

Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:44 pm

Can't speak of the numbers, but gaining warscore is a slow process overall. Gaining provinces is, too. You need to have a claim or high loyalty, afaik.
You might be seeing an eternal war with S-P.
Still after having all provinces inherited you might get scripted events fire, because the nation still exists for the game (government in exile, :fleb: )
So you might find yourself at war with France nonetheless in a few years.

Tom
Private

Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:29 pm

Khanti wrote:Speaking of Austria and Italian unification. Just playing as Austria from 1850. I tried to erase S-P before Risorgimento kick in. Yet after taking all S--P provinces including Sardinia (hard naval invasions) there is still not that 5 points per turn to war score. So I can only claim 1-2 provinces in peace treaty. The question is: do great powers got that -5 points to war score if totally occupied or it only works vs. other minor countries (Saxony, Parma, Tuscany worked that way).

As Austria, I conquered all S-P and only could get Alessandria because it's the only neighboring one. It seemed to stop incrementing War Score after I had conquered them...

Durk

Sat Jun 20, 2020 12:10 am

The game discourages European regional acquisitions. Adjacency is a must along with an historical claims, like France and Nice.
This is not a game of European hegemony.

Tom
Private

Sat Jun 20, 2020 1:12 pm

True. That made me do some reading. :)

I had thought there were historical claims, Alessandria having been part of the Duchy of Milan (which Austria held). But it's possible to debate whether it would be considered a valid claim for Austria. (Probably they had recognized its attachment to Savoy, thus no more claim).

However, actually I should perhaps pursue Austrian claims on southern Italy and either Sicily or Sardinia, depending whether to consider before or after the Treaty of the Hague in 1720. Not so possible to include all these things in a game, obviously, but I might mod as objective and/or some loyalty or attachment for those areas which were historically under their control.

That may also affect the war score question Khanti asked about.

Return to “Pride of Nations”