Searry
Colonel

How did the game do?

Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:58 pm

I was hoping for success but the forum is quite dead.
It's a great game but i was hoping for more patches by now. Any news about this?

csiemers
Sergeant

Re: How did the game do?

Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:37 pm

Don't count on it.
Ageod tends to abandon games after a short period of time. Sometimes they'll put out a patch for glaring bugs shortly after a games is released, but after that they are abandoned to work on the next "great" game.
Also, they are working on their next game engine so that makes it even less likely they'll be putting out fixes for any of the older games.
I hope they prove me wrong, but one shouldn't hold their breath waiting.

allan_boa
Colonel

Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:39 pm

csiemers wrote:Don't count on it.
Ageod tends to abandon games after a short period of time. Sometimes they'll put out a patch for glaring bugs shortly after a games is released, but after that they are abandoned to work on the next "great" game.
Also, they are working on their next game engine so that makes it even less likely they'll be putting out fixes for any of the older games.
I hope they prove me wrong, but one shouldn't hold their breath waiting.

If true then it's very very very bad commercial practice ...

elxaime
General

Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:17 pm

I've always thought there was tremendous potential for AGEOD to build recognition and customer loyalty by updating/patching more regularly, as well as doing second editions, like Civil War II (which is one of the best in terms of quality). Other games like Espana 36 and Russian Civil War are diamonds that just need a little polishing. But for some reason, it just doesn't happen, or it just doesn't happen enough. They are a small company and I think just don't have the resources, which is sad. I wish one of the AGEOD developers would win the lottery and hire a quality control person. No one out there really does games like they do, combining ease of play, color and depth. I want them to be wildly successful.

Stratman
Captain

Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:53 pm

=1000
Agree! A Great Stuff!

Stratman
Captain

Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:54 pm

+1000
Agree! A Great Stuff!

Durk

Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:35 pm

A few comments on this line - In my experience, AGEOD supports games better than any other company. But companies like people go through phases. So those of you who have been playing these great games for a year or two likely have a very different impression than those of us who saw improvements over many years of a game's life.

Because the game system is open, players with a bit of talent can fix many bugs. What might be useful is a rank ordering of bugs. Which ones are game breaking, which ones are problems with play, which ones are merely annoying. If those of you who have found issues could do this ordering, those of us who can tinker with the game will, slowly, build fixes.
WON has benefited from this kind of player mod/fixes. WOS should have the same dedicated attempt to fix.

Those of us who have come to love AGEOD games above all others are saddened by the distractions and changes in personal caused by the merger with Slitherine which have interfered with the ability of AGEOD staff to spend resources on fixes and updates, but for those of you new to these gems of gaming and game play, hang in there, learn to mod and help fix the bugs.

So my suggestion, enjoy this very rich historical game. Personally, I am learning so much about an era I only vaguely knew. Note issues, and attempt to provide a flag as to the importance of the bug being fixed.

allan_boa
Colonel

Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:06 am

If only the forums were more active and all questions answered (even stupid ones :wacko: ) ... How do you want to learn how to mod if nobody answers the questions ?
For example, I posted a question about modding in the general forum so that everybody can read it but I never got an answer ...
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=52744

Citizen X
AGEod Veteran

Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:18 pm

allan_boa wrote:If only the forums were more active and all questions answered (even stupid ones :wacko: ) ... How do you want to learn how to mod if nobody answers the questions ?
For example, I posted a question about modding in the general forum so that everybody can read it but I never got an answer ...

I always considered this forum a bit too active at times for my taste. :fleb:

Anyways: Done

allan_boa
Colonel

Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:39 pm

Citizen X wrote:
allan_boa wrote:If only the forums were more active and all questions answered (even stupid ones :wacko: ) ... How do you want to learn how to mod if nobody answers the questions ?

I always considered this forum a bit too active at times for my taste. :fleb:

Anyways: Done

:hat: :hat: :hat:
Many thanks !

pantsukki
Brigadier General

Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:17 pm

Would be great to know if there are still plans to patch and improve the game. I have more suggestions especially regarding the map, but it seems pointless to report bugs and suggest improvements if there's no chance of them being implemented.

Durk

Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:03 am

What I am telling all, patches are not likely to happen. But some players will make small fixes to things.
So if there is a game breaking problem, then a fix will happen. If there are minor issues, these will likely just be lived with.

mjw
Lieutenant

Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:23 am

Well, AGEOD certainly doesn’t dump patches out every few months but when they have collected enough changes, they send them out. Usually you’ll get patches 2-3 years after release....they just aren’t common

Understand that this engine is older than dirt. There aren’t a whole lot of bugs left to fix. They aren’t keen to spend limited resources adjusting the name of some regiment or the misspelling of a German town or something.

The problems you experience with the mechanics themselves are- at this point- mostly ingrained in the engine and every attempt has already been made to fix it.

If they couldn’t fix - say, an AI problem- back with Rise of Prussia, then it isn’t fixable in Wars of Succession. They are all the same game with different numbers and dressing. So nothing to fix really

Searry
Colonel

Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:33 am

What I hoped for was for was more development and such.
The game feels like a rough diamond which could do with more development. Especially the GNW scenario.

Baris
AGEod Guard of Honor

Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:11 pm

What was the problem in GNW scenario? What does it need.

pantsukki
Brigadier General

Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:29 am

For example the PLC is currently handled quite badly and very ahistorically. Additionally there are numerous glitches and bugs, varying from really small to smallish, IMHO. The diplomatic side is lacking and the campaign ends too soon. Just to name a few.

Searry
Colonel

Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:27 pm

pantsukki wrote:For example the PLC is currently handled quite badly and very ahistorically. Additionally there are numerous glitches and bugs, varying from really small to smallish, IMHO. The diplomatic side is lacking and the campaign ends too soon. Just to name a few.

Exactly!

Baris
AGEod Guard of Honor

Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:44 pm

Thanks. It did go as far as 1710 last time I've played pbem GNW scenario as far as I remember. Hope some dlc campaign can be produced in this era.

Searry
Colonel

Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:21 pm

Can anyone from Matrix/Slitherine/AGEOD comment on this?

Khanti
Captain

Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:50 am

pantsukki wrote:Would be great to know if there are still plans to patch and improve the game. I have more suggestions especially regarding the map, but it seems pointless to report bugs and suggest improvements if there's no chance of them being implemented.

From my experience and from reading these forums, patches are made if there are broken things in game/engine/scenario or if someone/developer voluntarily devote his own time for making fixes. In many cases fixing is just text editing, so it's completely accessible to everyone.

Durk wrote:What I am telling all, patches are not likely to happen. But some players will make small fixes to things.
So if there is a game breaking problem, then a fix will happen. If there are minor issues, these will likely just be lived with.

You do not have to live with it, just fix it yourself. If you do not like something in game, change it in your game installation. For example, I gave clothes to a naked Gauls in AJE ;-)

Searry wrote:What I hoped for was for was more development and such.
The game feels like a rough diamond which could do with more development. Especially the GNW scenario.

Yes, but anyone can help in the treatment of this diamond. Waiting for the developer to do everything by himself on this scale of scenarios is waiting for a miracle. In WSS there are 1700+ individual models of units, 4600+ region files, nearly 200 abilities and 78 faction files. Please take it into consideration.

pantsukki wrote:For example the PLC is currently handled quite badly and very ahistorically. Additionally there are numerous glitches and bugs, varying from really small to smallish, IMHO. The diplomatic side is lacking and the campaign ends too soon. Just to name a few.

What's the deal with this diplomacy? I can change the date of the campaign in scenario for you ;-)
Meteoryt-like user. Strikes and disappears.

Searry
Colonel

Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:39 pm

Not everyone is adept in coding or modding especially if the script isn't easily readable which is the case with the AGEOD engine. :(

Still this game is my absolute favourite from AGEOD no doubt about that.

Taillebois
General of the Army

Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:04 pm

I have just updated my version of "The Operational Art of War" - there are over 500 user made scenarios so it is no wonder it has become one of the most esteemed war games.

I've always felt Ageod missed a trick by making it so hard to alter things or make new scenarios. If a fraction of the effort that went into monster games like Pride of Nations or Wars of Napoleon had been put into making a simple scenario designer and editor then the games would be more popular.

Khanti
Captain

Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:53 pm

Taillebois wrote:I have just updated my version of "The Operational Art of War" - there are over 500 user made scenarios so it is no wonder it has become one of the most esteemed war games.

I've always felt Ageod missed a trick by making it so hard to alter things or make new scenarios. If a fraction of the effort that went into monster games like Pride of Nations or Wars of Napoleon had been put into making a simple scenario designer and editor then the games would be more popular.

It is true. I remember the time when I was involved in modifying the Rome / Medieval 2 Total War scenarios. However, there were test tools showing errors that appeared during editing. In Ageod's engine you can have a Polish armored car (POL) of the White Russian nationality (WHI) and the program will not alarm about it (see RUS GOLD scenario POL-SOV, when Poland has no WHI replacements).
I omit creating scenario file completely from scratch, because it is a lot of work, in the current engine, but modifying existing scenarios is feasible.
Meteoryt-like user. Strikes and disappears.

Return to “Wars of Succession”