Zardoz
Corporal

How to destroy Mack in Ulm?

Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:29 am

I'm following the Austerlitz playthrough "A Walk-Through Tutorial (Austerlitz 1805)" http://www.ageod-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=138&t=7475 which is very useful in learning the game. But some key pictures seem to be missing, alas.

My basic question concerns how to set up Napoleon and his corps to deliver the knockout blow to the Austrians in Ulm.

Coming from AJE, I learned to manage military control in the regions around an enemy army so that supply was cut off and so that options for retreat paths were constrained. Generally I had several stacks most of which were not the province that contained the army I wanted to attack.

But if I read the walkthrough correctly, Mack was destroyed by the mass of Napoleon's army, concentrated in the one province that contains Ulm.

The key quote from the walkthrough seems to be this one:
"As you can see from the Battle Report, Napoleon directed a six Corps simultaneous attack of over 170,000 men on Mack’s 90,000 Austrians. The result was devastating. Napoleon eliminated the Austrian threat in Bavaria in exchange for less than 15,000 men."

So I concentrate mass and directly assault rather than waiting for 96% military control in the surrounding provinces? The knockout blow is delivered by the cavalry, presumably, as part of the battle resolution

Although I do see that ctlAllowRetreat = 5 in this game whereas it is 0 in AJE so it should be possible in this game to destroy an army by surrounding it with provinces in I have 96% control.

Concentrate and attack would be the "correct" Napoleonic thing to do but. :dada:

cheers

Tony

Taillebois
General of the Army

Re: How to destroy Mack in Ulm?

Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:14 pm

I've just tried following that walkthrough too.

I got a broadly similar outcome to the AAR but only attacked Ulm on turn 3- it seems that things may have changed a bit as the troop numbers I have are different from those in the pictures - I'm running 1.10 but the AAR must have an earlier version.

Unfortunately a lot of old AARs are messed up now because various hosting sites have started charging for what was free and many older AARs - e.g. those by Narwhal for AJE have lost their pictures.

Taillebois
General of the Army

Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:13 pm

Well I've had another go and I think Mack must have been drinking too much Red Bull. Anyway, he eventually died (probably a heart attack) and overall the French lost 180,000 and the coalition 290,000. A very bloody points win.

Zardoz
Corporal

Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:04 am

So that great slaughter was the result of a single battle and Mack didn't retreat into a neighbouring province?

It is a shame that the pictures have disappeared. There's so much useful information for all the AGEOD games in these forums. Narwhal certainly deserves some sort of medal for his contributions to several games. I learnt a lot about AJE from his posts.

It takes me at least 3 turns to get the Grande Armée assembled outside Ulm and there are some other differences with the AAR so it is likely that all the patches have changed things a bit.

I'll have another go or two at the battle. It is useful practice to make sure I understand how to use my army. If Napoleon can't defeat Mack in fairly short order I figure his chance of conquering all Europe is slim. :crying:

cheers

Tony

Return to “Napoleon's Campaigns”