ArmChairGeneral
AGEod Grognard

Synchronize Move

Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:43 am

If there is one mechanic in this game that I do not understand, it is Synchronize Move. I have never been able to make it work the way I think it is supposed to work, and my inability to predict what will happen has made me unwilling to use it, even when I think it might benefit me.

I feel like I know what I am doing with Corp and Army scale combat and maneuver, and I am not willy-nilly trying to Synchronize all the time, or in inappropriate situations. But there are times when you want to bring 6 or more Divisions to the attack at once (like an initial attack on a capital's region) which requires more than one Corps/Army stack. Ostensibly this is what Synch Move is for, but I can't figure how to reliably get two stacks starting from the same region to arrive on the same day.

While it is possible that the overall mechanism is simply weird and unpredictable, I find it more likely that I am just not doing it right.

Does anyone have any tips, explanations or advice that can help me get a handle on Synchronize Move and how to use it effectively? I would particularly like to know about the exact sequence of the clicks, as I suspect that I am not doing things in the right order. (Getting Distant Unload to work the way you want it to requires a specific sequence of orders, so maybe that is the case with Synchronize Move as well.)

Durk

Re: Synchronize Move

Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:13 am

You do know this is a great puzzle. I vary selecting synchronized move with MTSG due to varying situations. I do not always make the correct choice. Usually, it the army commander is kind of slow, synchronized movement is the correct choice, but if the army leader is fast, I usually keep him in reserve and move my slowest corps to the region and let my fast commander join in March to the Sound of Guns.
It is a bit of a crap shoot.
I typically use synchronized movement when my army and its subordinate corps are overwhelming in strength. Or when I am making a move with balanced army and corps initiatives (I usually play veteran activation), that is, if you are playing other activation choice, use synchronized movement only when your army and corps are in the same activation mode.
It is a tough choice. I do use synchronized movement often, but only when the above apply.

ArmChairGeneral
AGEod Grognard

Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:52 am

What happens to me is that I "think" I give Synch Move orders, but then the two stacks arrive a day apart anyway, so two separate battles happen instead of one with the whole force.

Gray Fox
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:44 pm

If you cursor over the Sync. move icon, it states that an Army stack and its associated Corps or two Corps in the same Army can move at the same speed. So the 6 Divsions you mentioned meet this criteria? I'm not sure, but the Traffic rule may also slow follow on stacks the one day.
I'm the 51st shade of gray. Eat, pray, Charge!

ArmChairGeneral
AGEod Grognard

Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:28 pm

Yes, stacks in the same command structure, and from the same region. Sometimes they march and arrive on the same day, but just as often they get there a day apart.

Traffic issues could account for the difference, although I never got it to work consistently before traffic was implemented.

DrPostman

Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:33 pm

I wonder if a lot has to do with the Corps commander stats. There's that
great line from R.E. Lee to Ewell to take Cemetery Hill "if practicable" to keep
in mind.

Citizen X
AGEod Veteran

Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:56 am

AFAIK, it only works on corps level, when all corps are of the same army and start from the same region.

One of the CW2 gurus might correct me here.

Captain_Orso

Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:20 pm

Gray Fox has it right with the tool-tip.

Corps and/or Army Stacks in the same Chain of Command, starting in the same region may elect to use the Synchronized Movement SO.
Each Corps and/or Army Stack must have the SM SO selected.
Then you only have to plot the move of one of the stacks using SM, and all other stacks in the region will automatically have their moves plotted exactly the same, AND their movement will be at the rate of the slowest stack using SM, so that all stacks arrive in the target region at the same time.

The question about the Traffic Rule is a valid one. I honestly have no idea, whether it would affect SM, but I'm guessing, from ACG's report, the TR probably has precedence over SM. First the moves are plotted, and then during movement, one of the Corps or Army Stacks is slowed down. So it would kind of negate SM somewhat, depending on the circumstances.

Honestly, I hardly ever use SM. I'm generally relying on MTSG to bring Corps and Army Stacks together in a battle. This way I can cover a wider set of regions, to prevent enemy stacks from filtering around my flanks and on to my lines of communication :cursing:

I hate it when Athena manages to get some pesky division around my flank, and I have to put together a force of demi-corps to try to run it down and prevent it from doing any damage :grr: ... :8o: ... :laugh:

ArmChairGeneral
AGEod Grognard

Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:50 am

Orso,
So I need to click the SM order on all the stacks I want first, and then only plot a move for one of them. I have been plotting moves for both. I will try this and see how it goes.

SM (even if you can get it to work) is something that is only useful in limited circumstances, but I have been making do without it in those limited situations where I need it.

Return to “Civil War II”