lightbrave
Captain

Horse Artilllery and 6 lb guns

Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:23 pm

Horse Artillery - I cant find what size these guns are. Are they 6lb guns or more or less? Does horse artillery slow down the movement of a Calvary stack? Iv never actually purchased any from my pool. Is this a mistake? How do you guys utilize these guns? Will they help or hinder an artillery division or a regular division?

6 lb guns - From what iv been reading these guns don't perform very well as though they are a wasted unit in a stack. I do read these posts when I'm falling asleep at night so maybe iv misread. A lot of the card units I create come with 6lb guns. How do I avoid them? If you guys do create 6lb guns, what is the best way to utilize them?

Glitch
Private

Re: Horse Artilllery and 6 lb guns

Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:58 pm

Hey bud,

Horse artillery are 6lbs with "extra wheels" :dada: so to speak. Some odf their stats from normal 6 lbs artillery might slightly differ, but they're essentially the same.

The one big difference being mobility. Horse artillery receive "medium cavalry" mobility, while normal 6 lbs artillery received "wheeled" mobility.

In other words, horse artillery = cavalry support.

I hope this helps!

Glitch
Private

Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:02 pm

I apologize if this double posts (for some reason it doesn't seem to have posted):

6 lb and horse artillery are the same essentially. The key difference being, horse artillery moves at the rate of "medium cavalry" while 6 lb artillery moves at a "wheels" pace ( much slower).

Hence, horse artillery = cavalry support :dada: :cwboy:

DrPostman

Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:20 pm

The only time I build them is when I want to use them to build a fort.
"Ludus non nisi sanguineus"

Gray Fox
AGEod Guard of Honor

Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:19 am

CSA Horse artillery have combat stats similar to their 6-lber and Union batteries have stats like their 10-lber. The horse batteries move like medium cav instead of wheeled units. Basically, horse artillery can be assigned to cavalry Divisions to add combat power.

In the first Civil War game, 6-lbers in Brigades eventually upgraded to 12-lbers. Thus the light guns weren't that bad of a deal. This is no longer the case in CW2 and so the guns are less of a bargain. Entrenched artillery has a better to-hit chance. Divisions that you plan to stay entrenched in a defensive position might gain an advantage from having some 6-lbers in their Brigades. If you study the available Brigades that you can purchase, it is possible to assemble Divisions without 6-lbers. I advise these primarily infantry Divisions for Corps/Army stacks that would optimize heavy artillery Divisions for their support.
I'm the 51st shade of gray. Eat, pray, Charge!

Return to “Civil War II”