charlesonmission

Do Game Settings Only Impact When you start the game?

Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:32 pm

Always wondered this. Can someone confirm that the game settings are applied only when the game is started? You can change the settings after the game starts or your PBEM partner has different settings, but that won't change that particular game.

What happens if you turn AI off, Does that impact a current game as well? If AI is on during during the start for a PBEM, would the AI only play if there is no other turn order. What about neutral factions????

Little things I've wondered about.... :)

Cardinal Ape
General of the Army

Re: Do Game Settings Only Impact When you start the game?

Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:51 am

Nope, settings are not saved per game. You can change the settings mid game.

You can leave the AI on in a PBEM game. It will only take over a faction if there are no orders found for it when you try to run the turn. If the AI is not on the neutral factions won't do anything. Not that are many in CW2, only the natives in Little Crow's war.

charlesonmission

Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:01 pm

In a PBEM, do both players need to have the same settings?

Cardinal Ape wrote:Nope, settings are not saved per game. You can change the settings mid game.

You can leave the AI on in a PBEM game. It will only take over a faction if there are no orders found for it when you try to run the turn. If the AI is not on the neutral factions won't do anything. Not that are many in CW2, only the natives in Little Crow's war.

arsan

Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:15 pm

No, it's not needed. For what i know only the host settings are used.
The other player just give some orders that are then processed by the host on whatever settings he is currently using.

Captain_Orso

Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:42 am

I would suggest synchronizing settings with your PBEM opponent, or visa-versa, as the case may be. It's the safest way to deal with the situation.

It is truly unfortunate that settings are per game installation, and not per started scenario, with the ability to change settings once the scenario is underway.

Some settings will make a difference. For example FOW.

Most settings only play a role for the host executing the turn. I don't think Attrition settings have any influence during the planning phase. Even while playing per PBEM AI settings play a role in the game, because the AI controls all non-aligned Native American units.

Some I'm not sure about. Extended Build Pools may or may not; I've never looked into it.

But safe is safe. Ergo, first paragraph.

charlesonmission

Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:18 am

Also, are most people doing the dual hosting scenario? Which would mean that even more so setting would need to be the same.....

Captain_Orso wrote:I would suggest synchronizing settings with your PBEM opponent, or visa-versa, as the case may be. It's the safest way to deal with the situation.

It is truly unfortunate that settings are per game installation, and not per started scenario, with the ability to change settings once the scenario is underway.

Some settings will make a difference. For example FOW.

Most settings only play a role for the host executing the turn. I don't think Attrition settings have any influence during the planning phase. Even while playing per PBEM AI settings play a role in the game, because the AI controls all non-aligned Native American units.

Some I'm not sure about. Extended Build Pools may or may not; I've never looked into it.

But safe is safe. Ergo, first paragraph.

arsan

Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:32 am

If you dual host you both definitely need to have the same settings

On standard single host PBEM only the host settings applies.

Regards!

Durk

Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:31 am

Yep, ditto arsan. Duel host must have same settings. Single host, only the host settings matter.
What is more important, be in same game version. That is, if in different settings with dual hosting, one rule applies until the other player hosts, then the other settings apply - but no crashes just different parameters.

Pocus

Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:32 pm

A per scenario gameplay settings? Now, that's something to keep in mind for the ongoing new engine. No promises though.

charlesonmission

Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:31 pm

I always thought the setting were set based on when the game started.... glad I asked about this before starting up 1864.

Pocus wrote:A per scenario gameplay settings? Now, that's something to keep in mind for the ongoing new engine. No promises though.

Return to “Civil War II”