Blood and Thunder Brigade
Brigadier General

Barksdale's Brigade

Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:38 am

Is it part of the game or no?

Captain_Orso

Re: Barksdale's Brigade

Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:43 pm

Actually, only if you play against the AI, and the Union triggers an AI event by having => 70 elements within 2 regions of Richmond in 1862.

richfed

Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:58 pm

Hmmm .. I have never seen that! [In the full campaign]

Speaking of ... I have dusted off the game again with patch 1.06.3 and am having a great time with it once more. However, while Lee is locked in Richmond, he does not activate when the Yankees get close. Even a few times the message box states that Lee has engaged such & such. Doesn't unlock until he is good & ready.

I seem to recall that as soon as the Yanks engage his force, he activates. ??? Maybe not.

I beat the AI at Sargent in late summer of '64 by smashing their morale... Bumped up to Lieutenant setting. Whoa! Union just tumbled in down the Valley and toward Fredericksburg. Caught me off guard ... won again, though ... in massive battles and destroying their morale again... this time in early '64. Playing a 3rd game ... AI doing a bang up job. Good sized force moving inland from Escambia, FL, another huge flotilla harassing NO area, huge forces in VA on the peninsular & elsewhere, beat me back in KY at Paducah. Shaping up as a great game.

Love my Ageod Civil War II. Still ranks as my favorite and most fun to play game!

Durk

Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:15 am

[quote="Speaking of ... I have dusted off the game again with patch 1.06.3 and am having a great time with it once more. However, while Lee is locked in Richmond, he does not activate when the Yankees get close. Even a few times the message box states that Lee has engaged such & such. Doesn't unlock until he is good & ready.

I seem to recall that as soon as the Yanks engage his force, he activates. ??? Maybe not. [/quote]

The senior leader always shows as the leader of a battle even when he is not. Lee only activates due to the game turn or when a Yankee force is on Richmond.

Captain_Orso

Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:14 am

richfed wrote:Hmmm .. I have never seen that! [In the full campaign]

Speaking of ... I have dusted off the game again with patch 1.06.3 and am having a great time with it once more. However, while Lee is locked in Richmond, he does not activate when the Yankees get close. Even a few times the message box states that Lee has engaged such & such. Doesn't unlock until he is good & ready.

I seem to recall that as soon as the Yanks engage his force, he activates. ??? Maybe not.

8<

Between 1-Jan-62 and 1-Jun-62 there is a 10% chance each turn that Lee simply unlocks. During the same time frame, if the Union has => 40 combat elements within 2 regions of Richmond, Lee will unlock.

Durk wrote:The senior leader always shows as the leader of a battle even when he is not. Lee only activates due to the game turn or when a Yankee force is on Richmond.

For a unit to unlock through combat, it must actually be directly involved in a battle. During a turn, opposing forces can find each other, and not actually do battle, depending on the postures and movement status of the opposing forces. For each such occurrence you will get a message stating, IIRC, that stack so-and-so engaged the enemy.

If Lee is in a stack, which is inside Richmond, and a stack outside of Richmond is involved in a battle, and Lee is the ranking officer in the region, so that he commands the battle, I'm not sure if he will unlock, because his stack is not involved in the battle, even though he commanded the battle.

You can of course put Lee in a stack outside of Richmond, even if all the other units in the stack are unlocked. The stack will simply not be allowed to leave the Richmond region, but it will otherwise function normally.

Durk

Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:44 am

Yes and yes. Just saying for players who are confused when the wrong leader seems to be leading an army, the senior leader shows as the battle commander even when he is not in charge of anything and adds no value.

Brigadier General

Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:34 am

Thanks for the input lads, but unless I've missed something I don't think that my original question has really been answered. So, again, is Barksdale's Brigade a part of this game or no? I've yet to see it anywhere.

Gray Fox
AGEod Guard of Honor

Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:16 pm

This is where you can check a lot of things in the game database:

viewtopic.php?f=340&t=35005

I don't see an entry for a Barksdale Brigade in the unit's folder.

Captain_Orso

Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:46 pm

Blood and Thunder Brigade wrote:Thanks for the input lads, but unless I've missed something I don't think that my original question has really been answered. So, again, is Barksdale's Brigade a part of this game or no? I've yet to see it anywhere.

Re: Barksdale's Brigade, Post #2 ;)

which shows this, so that you don't actually have to open that pesky link...

Captain_Orso wrote:Actually, only if you play against the AI, and the Union triggers an AI event by having => 70 elements within 2 regions of Richmond in 1862.

Further, go into the '..\CW2\Events' folder and use a text editor to open the '1861 CSA AI.sct' script file, and search for the 'evt_nam_CSA_DefendCapital_AI61-62' event, scroll down a bit and there you find that Barksdale's Bde is generated by that event:

Code: Select all

CreateUnit
  SetType = $uni_CSA_Bde5MS
  NumCreate = 2
  FlavorName = Brig. Gen. W. Barksdale
  SUFlavorName = 13th & 17th Mississipi|18th & 21st Mississipi|NULL
  SetLevel = 2
  SetName = Barksdale's Bde
  Apply

That's the only reference to Barksdale I know of in the game :hat:

Brigadier General

Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:36 am

Yep... I missed that. Thanks for the clarification, chief :)

Durk

Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:02 am

So in my estimate, Barksdale's Brigade is active and present. Not sure why this has been missed.

Captain_Orso

Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:20 am

Okay, I have to revise my statement. Barksdale's Bde is in the list of brigade names for Mississippi brigades, so if you are not playing against Athena playing the Confederates, it can only be built by the player. It will be the name of the 10th Mississippi brigade the player builds.

It doesn't matter which type of brigade, because the names are shared between the unit types, and the game keeps track of which names are in play.

That Barksdale's Bde is in an event is kind of dangerous, because it would be possible to build the 10th Mississippi brigade normally, and then have the event generate another. Events do not concern themselves with such constraints. But it seems a very unlikely think to happen, since building 10 Mississippi brigades before the end of 1862 does not sound like a likely occurrence; just possible.

Return to “Civil War II”