RK1855
Conscript

Engagement points

Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:03 pm

Hi - I am new to WON so apologies if this is a dumb question - but what are engagement points exactly, I cannot find them mentioned anywhere in the pdf manual, I can see the total at the top of the screen, and I can see that some Military Reforms cost 'x' engagement points but I have no idea what they are. The name suggests something to do with combat engagement but I cannot find any connection between combat engagement and engagement points. Any pointers appreciated.

Captain_Orso

Re: Engagement points

Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:43 am

I'm not sure if you actually get EP's for combat, but you do get them for controlling territory, with cities IIRC, even those in your own homeland. You should bet getting some every turn, but the exact rules, I'm afraid I don't know.

PhilThib

Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:23 am

Combat per se don't produce EP.

See here: http://www.ageod.net/agewiki/Engagement_Points

RK1855
Conscript

Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:57 am

Thanks for the replies. I do find it strange though that these engagement points are no where to be found in the pdf.

Durk

Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:25 am

I agree, I learned about Engagement Point via a pbem opponent, but it becomes conceptually easier. And is a great concept across most AGEOD games.
Think of it as a policy or morale currency.

ess1
Lieutenant Colonel

Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:31 pm

I do not see why EPs should be spent in giving say, money or anything else. Anyone know the thinking behind this?

sarge11
Conscript

Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:36 pm

Do think there needs to be some adjustments to the loss of EP if they cannot fix the merchant fleet being attacked and wiped out, when they are supposed to be unlocked and retreat if attacked????????????

loki100
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:39 am

ess1 wrote:I do not see why EPs should be spent in giving say, money or anything else. Anyone know the thinking behind this?

I've always regarded it as a sort of measure of policy capacity. So EPs are a way to indicate that the state (esp pre-modern but even in the Napoleonic era) was limited and could only do so much at a time. The games then have mechanisms to allow you to boost this scarce resource but at the cost of something else.

AJE is probably the clearest example of how this works and why at times you might prioritise EPs but at others its NM that has to be the focus and so on. Then the decision cards become the main tool for converting one type of resource to another.

ess1
Lieutenant Colonel

Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:53 pm

loki100. Thanks for input. I think that WON's EP cost for GB is high bearing in mind the length of time required to activate modernisation.

Am GB in MP pbem and biased! :D

Return to “Wars of Napoleon”