veji1
AGEod Guard of Honor

A mix of AGEOD and Pikes and shot style battles : let's redo Napoleon 1813 !

Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:16 pm

If AGEOD was to try and regenerate going a bit into tactical battles, a form of Pike and shot system could work pretty well : You'd need a crudish map generator (I mean they managed it in Napoleon 1813 by empire, a grandiose and epic failure, but a gem of a concept in 1999 !!!!)

Actually a turn by turn game reusing some of the concepts of that Napoleon 1813 game, that would be something bold and different. I would love to give it a try.. Sigh...

Duke76
Corporal

Re: A mix of AGEOD and Pikes and shot style battles : let's redo Napoleon 1813 !

Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:10 am

Totally agree. It was game with great potential and fresh gameplay concepts. I really would love a "regeneration project" :)

atheory
Civilian

Re: A mix of AGEOD and Pikes and shot style battles : let's redo Napoleon 1813 !

Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:21 pm

would have my vote, I loved the concept of that game.

Durk

Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:00 am

You do know this game has such. You simply need to select Battle Planner in the Options menu.

vaalen
AGEod Guard of Honor

Wed Dec 28, 2016 3:39 pm

Durk wrote:You do know this game has such. You simply need to select Battle Planner in the Options menu.

Actually, Pike and shot has a very detailed tactical battle system, where dozens of units are usually involved in the campaign battles, on a generated map. The Battle Planner just allows you to make two decisions before the battle is resolved, done in a matter of seconds.

Back before Ageod, the Phils developed a game on Rome. Originally, the game had a detailed tactical battle system, and preliminary reports stated that it had over one hundred unit types. However, the Phils decided to drop the tactical system, and to use a different kind of combat resolution. The reason given was that the tactical battles would take too long and slow down the strategic game too much.

I have always wondered what the original game, with tactical battles designed by the genius of Philippe Thibaut, would have been like. Just maybe, the best tactical battle system ever.

But we will never know.

Return to “Wars of Napoleon”