loki100
AGEod Guard of Honor

New Forum

Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:35 am

Is it ok to note just how horrible the new forum is. Links don't work, ghastly visual layout, a lot of embedded links seem to have been lost.

RichG
Conscript

Re: New Forum

Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:25 pm

Totally agree!

What was so wrong with the old one that it had to change?? I thought it was fine as it was. But this now is dreadful.

RichG
Conscript

Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:44 pm

Oh, and what happened to all the images?

Particularly those for AAR's which were far and away one of the best ways of learning how to play these games. With out the images we've just lost probably the best reason to come here.

loki100
AGEod Guard of Honor

Fri Oct 07, 2016 1:04 pm

well first - its no longer possible to include the original text in a reply ... sigh

as to images it seems random. Just looking at a few AARs there are broken links but most seem ok. But links to videos/lets plays are all broken.

RichG
Conscript

Fri Oct 07, 2016 1:20 pm

loki100 wrote:well first - its no longer possible to include the original text in a reply ... sigh

as to images it seems random. Just looking at a few AARs there are broken links but most seem ok. But links to videos/lets plays are all broken.

I'm not seeing any images other than a couple embedded in signatures. Some image placeholders are showing as attachments but clicking those brings up a dead link....

Captain_Orso

Fri Oct 07, 2016 1:43 pm

This is the second forum SW change I've experienced with AGEod *sigh*. :cuit:
This time, we may be in a bit of luck, but I'll know more tonight once I've checked all the links have saved over the years.

I've noted at any rate, that at least some of the forums have not changed their numbers. You may not have noticed this, but in the previous forum SW, the forums were not only addressed through their names, but in combination with a number.

EG the Civil War II forum was addressed: forumdisplay.php?331-Civil-War-II
With the new SW the URL is: viewforum.php?f=331

So the php script name is different (forumdisplay.php -> viewforum.php), the new script has a slightly different format and needs "?f=" instead of just "?", and "-Civil-War-II" was dropped from the forum name leaving only the number "331", which has remained the same.

This means you could easily edit your browser favorites/bookmarks to reflect this (save them under different names so as not to change the originals, until you know the new ones work!!), and nearly everything should be back to normal.... except the forum look itself, that will melt your soul *ahha*ahha*ahha*uhhhhhh* :crying:

EDIT: underlined text added

Pocus

Fri Oct 07, 2016 2:22 pm

Attachments were all copied and transferred but there is something amiss. The web guys are working on this issue and others. And also yes, the forum colors and style will change soon.
This is for the better, even if the change had to be made fast, the old software was crumbling and falling apart, like an old mummy necro-animated thrice. :papy:

We are all still the same ageod people working on strategy titles, with new games coming and soon you'll be at ease with the new forum! Sorry for the slight hiccups, really. Cheers up :fleurs:

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Pocus

Fri Oct 07, 2016 2:50 pm

You can now add 2 banners if you are so inclined, they are available from the public FTP:

ftp://ftp.ageod.com/pub/images/WON_Banner.jpg

ftp://ftp.ageod.com/pub/images/WoS_Banner.jpg

Nikel

Fri Oct 07, 2016 2:51 pm

I do not like the change either, the look (just hate it) and you have to be logged in to view the new posts.

A change for worse, as usual happens with changes :(

Pocus

Fri Oct 07, 2016 2:59 pm

Style will change!

To add a sig, you can copy paste this code:

[img]ftp://ftp.ageod.com/pub/images/WON_Banner.jpg[/img]

And don't forget when you reply to check 'attach a signature'. We will find the option to make it remains from a post to another...

Bazz
Conscript

Sun Oct 09, 2016 6:32 pm

Pocus wrote:Attachments were all copied and transferred but there is something amiss. The web guys are working on this issue and others. [...]

Do you have any idea of how long it will take for the links to be repaired? ...Days? ...Weeks?

I'm particularly interested in the AJE primers by Narwhal on Frontage, Melee, Combat, etc. Is there an alternate path for accessing these?

Bazz
Conscript

Sun Oct 09, 2016 6:44 pm

Bazz wrote:I'm particularly interested in the AJE primers by Narwhal on Frontage, Melee, Combat, etc. Is there an alternate path for accessing these?

It crossed my mind to try using "search" to find Narwhal's primer threads, and that worked.

loki100
AGEod Guard of Honor

Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:12 am

Bazz wrote:
Bazz wrote:I'm particularly interested in the AJE primers by Narwhal on Frontage, Melee, Combat, etc. Is there an alternate path for accessing these?

It crossed my mind to try using "search" to find Narwhal's primer threads, and that worked.

you can also pick them up from the AGEWiki:

http://www.ageod.net/agewiki/FAQ:_Conce ... s_as_coded

vaalen
AGEod Guard of Honor

Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:37 pm

loki100 wrote:Is it ok to note just how horrible the new forum is. Links don't work, ghastly visual layout, a lot of embedded links seem to have been lost.

I agree completely. The best thing to do would be to just restore the old forum, exactly as it was. There is no shame in fixing a problem.

Bazz
Conscript

Fri Oct 14, 2016 6:41 am

I'm rather surprised that there is so much grumbling about the forum change.

Such a drastic change isn't something that's done on a whim; it's a business decision that requires an investment of time, money, and effort, to implement. Such decisions are only implemented when there are compelling, sensible reasons to do so.

From what I've read, the change was made for reasons involving security and upkeep. It stands to reason that if the issues could have been addressed with the old forum software in a cost effective way, they would have been. That doesn't seem to be the case.

Pocus

Fri Oct 14, 2016 3:08 pm

Things should quiet now, the new forum is getting organized, spammers are much less prevalent and some forums are either masked or compacted into one.

Taillebois
General of the Army

Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:16 pm

I'm still find that links from the game start up screens just go to the unavailable site; and lots of google searches with answers get unavailable. Why not post at least a note that directs people to the new site. For example I just wanted to look something up on using randomised generals stats - and the result "Not Found"

Plus all my favourites and bookmarks on devices need to be redone.

Generalisimo

Mon Oct 31, 2016 4:29 am

Taillebois wrote:I'm still find that links from the game start up screens just go to the unavailable site; and lots of google searches with answers get unavailable. Why not post at least a note that directs people to the new site. For example I just wanted to look something up on using randomised generals stats - and the result "Not Found"

Plus all my favourites and bookmarks on devices need to be redone.

You can use this post from Orso to edit the bookmarks to the new forum...

Captain_Orso wrote:I've noted at any rate, that at least some of the forums have not changed their numbers. You may not have noticed this, but in the previous forum SW, the forums were not only addressed through their names, but in combination with a number.

EG the Civil War II forum was addressed: forumdisplay.php?331-Civil-War-II
With the new SW the URL is: viewforum.php?f=331

So the php script name is different (forumdisplay.php -> viewforum.php), the new script has a slightly different format and needs "?f=" instead of just "?", and "-Civil-War-II" was dropped from the forum name leaving only the number "331", which has remained the same.

This means you could easily edit your browser favorites/bookmarks to reflect this (save them under different names so as not to change the originals, until you know the new ones work!!), and nearly everything should be back to normal.... except the forum look itself, that will melt your soul *ahha*ahha*ahha*uhhhhhh* :crying:

Return to “General discussions”