Wraith
Sergeant

Quick Questions, Quick Answers

Fri Jun 17, 2016 2:17 am

I liked this idea from the Paradox forums, perhaps with a summation as the second post (so that you're not hunting through the entire thread to find your answer).

My first question is brought to you by the "Division that had whole elements wiped out."

Do I need to separate them into their individual brigades in order to recover those lost units or will they regen inside the division?

I have a feeling that they regen inside, but my opponent wasn't as sure.

Teatime
Lieutenant

Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:04 am

Should regenerate in the division as long as

- it is on a depot
- you have the replacements
- it doesn't move

Think that is all the criteria

Durk

Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:03 am

Yep, agree. Do not separate, just have or build sufficient replacements.

Cardinal Ape
General of the Army

Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:25 am

Units can receive replacement elements and move in the same turn.

Captain_Orso

Fri Jun 17, 2016 2:36 pm

Considering Historical Attrition, because it's what I play with, to receive a replacement element, your unit must be on a depot, fort, or I believe a city size 5 or larger--I think that's the size.

One element per turn per unit my be replaced.

Units in PP (Passive Posture) have priority for receiving replacements.

A division is a unit.

So if >1 units inside a division are missing =>1 element each, it is better to temporarily break those units out of the division, and put them into PP, until they have received their replacement element(s).

Gray Fox
AGEod Guard of Honor

Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:21 pm

From the Wiki:

http://www.ageod.net/agewiki/Replacements

"Priority of Units recieving Replacements
Replacements are not added deterministically, i.e from lower region number to higher, etc. There is a weighted randomization taking place. But there are factors influencing the chances to get replacements, that is why some units will often get them before others.

First there is posture, all passive units will be checked before defensive, before offensive.
Then for a type of posture, you'll get much more chances to get a repl if you are in a region with high supply stock...
And then, your chances will be increased if you are an 'alert unit'. Your chance is proportional to Detection Value x Hide value of the unit.
It may seem to be a weird criteria, but generally this is gets good mileage. Quality units, like rangers etc. will get repl before line units, and line units will get them before militia. "

So an "alert" unit in Passive Posture, in a region with a depot in an unbesieged city that also has lots of supplies gets replacements best. To fit the alert criteria, perhaps stack the sub unit (SU) that needs replacements with a small cavalry SU for high Detect Value x Hide value
I'm the 51st shade of gray. Eat, pray, Charge!

Wraith
Sergeant

Mon Jul 04, 2016 5:01 pm

New question for this thread.

How does one go about attacking a city which has a fort and a force outside of the fort? For instance, if someone has a fort in a city and has maintained a force outside which is dug in, is there a good way to bite pieces off (aside from the routine "go into assault posture, have 3-1 odds and prepare to cry from the losses")?

ArmChairGeneral
AGEod Grognard

Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:50 pm

Forces in the structure (city, fort, whatever) will usually only participate if they are assaulted using Red (assault) orders, which effectively splits the defense into two parts (field and structure) that can be dealt with seperately. Enter the region in Orange initially to do battle with the field forces, then assault the structure on a subsequent turn using Red posture once you have driven away the field defenses.

Most people advocate putting all defenders in the field where they can participate during the initial battle and do not risk becoming trapped in a siege if the field defenders are driven away.

Wraith
Sergeant

Tue Jul 05, 2016 5:46 am

Can I get an explanation of what "usually only" means above? What are the terms and conditions?

Captain_Orso

Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:24 am

You cannot directly attack any forces inside a city/fort, unless you attack in AP (Assault Posture), not just OP (Offensive Posture).

Ergo, to attack the force outside the city/fort only, simply change your stack to OP. Once you are ready to attack the force inside the city/fort, set your stack to AP.

That's it.

ArmChairGeneral
AGEod Grognard

Tue Jul 05, 2016 2:37 pm

The enemy forces in the structure might be set to Orange posture themselves (disadvantageous for them if they do, but they may still not be able to engage even if set to attack because they are in structure, not 100% sure). They might also be set to sortie, but that only applies if another force from outside the region enters to fight in the field in an attempt to lift your siege.

For the vast majority of situations forces in the structure are isolated from the field forces and can only fight if you assault their structure (by using Red posture).

Orange = OP = Offensive Posture = Attack
Red = AP = Assault Posture

This is the left-hand or first of the options, the posture (assault, attack, defend or passive). The right-hand or second set of options are the orders (all out, normal, feint, etc.). So O\O is attack with normal aggressiveness, R\R would be assault all-out, B\R would be defend at all costs, G\G is passive retreat.

Gray Fox
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:22 pm

I am not one of those that advocates a split defense. Entrenching the defenders outside of a structure is like having the security guard sit in the doughnut shop next to the bank.

Lee/Grant in open terrain with clear weather can effectively use a couple hundred infantry elements and two artillery Divisions versus a defender entrenched outside of the structure. They would get a fraction of that against a defender entrenched inside the structure. Structure defenders with a Supply Unit and ample supply/ammo only have a 5% chance to surrender. With enough artillery that benefit from entrenching, the defenders can shred an assault and hold out until you can relieve them. Don't let your Bastogne's become Alamo's and you should be fine.

As to your original question, I assembled my best Army Commander with max number of Divisions led by the best Generals available with big guns. I then attacked Assault/All out Attack. This swept away the region's defenders and captured the structure from its garrison in the same turn.

Jerzul
Captain

Wed Jul 06, 2016 1:51 pm

New Question: Can farms and plantations be destroyed, or just captured?
I have heard, in such a way as to believe it, of your recently saying that both the army and the government needed a dictator. Of course it was not for this, but in spite of it, that I have given you the command. Only those generals who gain success can be dictators. What I now ask of you is military success, and I will risk the dictatorship.

-Abraham Lincoln, 1863, in a letter to Major General Joseph Hooker.

Gray Fox
AGEod Guard of Honor

Wed Jul 06, 2016 1:58 pm

I wondered what the Raze City would do, so I tried it in a region with a plantation. The small town was removed but the effect of the plantation remained. So long term, they can only be captured. Short term, I believe that the extra GS is lost for a season if they are captured/raided.

Jerzul
Captain

Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:00 pm

Gray Fox wrote:I wondered what the Raze City would do, so I tried it in a region with a plantation. The small town was removed but the effect of the plantation remained. So long term, they can only be captured. Short term, I believe that the extra GS is lost for a season if they are captured/raided.

Thanks Gray Fox!
I have heard, in such a way as to believe it, of your recently saying that both the army and the government needed a dictator. Of course it was not for this, but in spite of it, that I have given you the command. Only those generals who gain success can be dictators. What I now ask of you is military success, and I will risk the dictatorship.

Jerzul
Captain

Wed Jul 06, 2016 4:18 pm

New Question: How does MTSG work when there is a corps/army outside and a corps or army inside of a structure in the same region?

For instance, I have a Cav Corps that just got mauled by Bobby Lee. I was planning on having it retreat and sit inside a city that is defended by the army stack. If Lee were to attack the region, would my force inside the city come out and join the fight because it's a corps attached to the Army?

Would it matter if the structure was a fort/redoubt/stockade as opposed to a city/town/depot?

I know normally that a force inside a structure does not come out and fight.

Thanks in advance!

Gray Fox
AGEod Guard of Honor

Wed Jul 06, 2016 4:49 pm

From the Wiki:

http://www.ageod.net/agewiki/Combat_Explained#Marching_to_the_sound_of_the_guns

"This concept covers the first stack picked. What about the next? If the stack is already engaged by an enemy, it will fight back against him, and that's it. If this stack is in defensive/passive posture, it will also activate all other friendly stacks (of all friendly factions present) in the region (i.e if the combat is still involving only stacks outside the structure, then units in the structure will take no part). "

MTSG is for stacks in adjacent regions. This seems to indicate that your cavalry Corps would not respond.

Jerzul
Captain

Wed Jul 06, 2016 4:53 pm

Gray Fox wrote:From the Wiki:

http://www.ageod.net/agewiki/Combat_Explained#Marching_to_the_sound_of_the_guns

"This concept covers the first stack picked. What about the next? If the stack is already engaged by an enemy, it will fight back against him, and that's it. If this stack is in defensive/passive posture, it will also activate all other friendly stacks (of all friendly factions present) in the region (i.e if the combat is still involving only stacks outside the structure, then units in the structure will take no part). "

MTSG is for stacks in adjacent regions. This seems to indicate that your cavalry Corps would not respond.

Thanks Gray Fox...

Has anyone ever located the code for MTSG in the game files? I'd be curious to look at it.

Gray Fox
AGEod Guard of Honor

Wed Jul 06, 2016 4:57 pm

I believe that is a question for the good Captain.

Captain_Orso

Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:56 pm

The code for MTSG? It's in the engine.

MTSG only occurs from and adjacent region. It will work even if the stack in an adjacent region is inside a fort or city.

Considering a region in which you have one corps inside a city/fort and one outside. This region is attacked while your stack outside is in DP, the stack inside will not come out to assist in defending in any case (MTSG is only from an adjacent region), even if the stack inside the city/fort has the Sortie-Out SO (Sortie-Out only works when your side is attacking).

Jerzul
Captain

Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:11 pm

Captain_Orso wrote:The code for MTSG? It's in the engine.

MTSG only occurs from and adjacent region. It will work even if the stack in an adjacent region is inside a fort or city.

Considering a region in which you have one corps inside a city/fort and one outside. This region is attacked while your stack outside is in DP, the stack inside will not come out to assist in defending in any case (MTSG is only from an adjacent region), even if the stack inside the city/fort has the Sortie-Out SO (Sortie-Out only works when your side is attacking).

Thanks Orso! Good to know!

Return to “Civil War II”