gazfun
Corporal

Game security

Sat Jun 18, 2016 2:23 am

Very little game security as been scripted for this game, anyone is capable of looking at enemy units. This sets a lower mind set of "because I can do it its ok" This lowers the tactical function of the game to its lowest common denominator. Historically they had to have cavalry scouting around to see the enemy. The reason the battle of Gettysburg occurred was because Confederate Cavalry wasn't in the area to view the union troops moving up on them. Otherwise everyone builds heavy Cavalry and no light cavalry for scouting :dada: is used, if all someone can do is feel they can have a look at the enemy by clicking the enemy flag at the scenario window.

Even just the basic security is all that's needed, if the file has been opened by anybody else, or by noting that the file has been opened more than once, thats all that is needed is a record of the event to the play group. Thats enough to keep people honest. :innocent:
Or is that gone by the way side now? :nuts:

Durk

Sat Jun 18, 2016 2:38 am

You know, gazfun, many members of the forum understand your concern, but they will not agree with it. Almost all players I know understand the open format of these games, but they also understand serious gamers play for fun, not to cheat. I know this may not reassure you, but your concern is not a deal breaker for most.

gazfun
Corporal

Sat Jun 18, 2016 3:05 am

Durk wrote:You know, gazfun, many members of the forum understand your concern, but they will not agree with it. Almost all players I know understand the open format of these games, but they also understand serious gamers play for fun, not to cheat. I know this may not reassure you, but your concern is not a deal breaker for most.

No not a deal breaker. Playing for fun is a subjective line quiet frankly. Maybe you may not agree with it, but that's also just you and your value system.

You didn't answer the concern, at all.

So then I gather that you agree with cheating, and that apart is fun then for you right?
Serious wargammers dont cheat granted, but lot of little boys out there do.
Just because I dont have 1600 post to my Profile doesnt make me a person who doesnt know what he is talking about either. Im a gamer of over 30 years experience

Durk

Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:16 am

Hmm. Was not saying I agree with cheating. Was saying those I play games with do not cheat.
I do understand the ## deal is not an expert deal. Yeh, not denigrating your comments. Supporting them, in fact.

The players I know do not cheat nor even imagine cheating. The system is open, for sure, but that does not mean everyone is a cheater.

gazfun
Corporal

Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:33 am

Im not saying that everyone a cheater mate either. Look Ive played EiA PC version ATG where there is considerable amount of time is invested in these games to play it. And it only takes 1 person to do the wrong thing and it spoils the FUN for everyone in that game, when it does happen. And it could of been happening for sometime, but if there is some security system that has is made having something is better than nothing.
It doesnt need to be complicated, if there has been more than one time access to a file, all it has to do is be noted to the group. Advanced Tactics Gold (Vic) has made the software so that if someone does something silly it doesnt spoil the fun for everyone else. Those I play with at TGHQ dont cheat either or at least I assume they dont.
In a large Campaign Game when there is a lot of time playing a game, I think people would like to know that there valuable time hasnt been wasted, on a silly act.

Durk

Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:43 am

I am not dismissing your concerns; I am simply saying that I have not seen these concerns in all the multiplayer games in which I have been engaged.
A good game host for a game with seven players helps. If players overly worry, the host can be an non-playing member. But for the most part, the host is an active player. With the CW2 tournament, a neutral host is always used.
So my suggestion, if these worries cause you to wonder if your game is being honestly played, get an non-playing host. I actually have performed this function for several games. Being a host is a learning position, and kind of fun in addition.

Incidentally, if you wish to join a game where the host is neutral, pm me.

gazfun
Corporal

Sun Jun 19, 2016 1:00 am

Durk wrote:I am not dismissing your concerns; I am simply saying that I have not seen these concerns in all the multiplayer games in which I have been engaged.
A good game host for a game with seven players helps. If players overly worry, the host can be an non-playing member. But for the most part, the host is an active player. With the CW2 tournament, a neutral host is always used.
So my suggestion, if these worries cause you to wonder if your game is being honestly played, get an non-playing host. I actually have performed this function for several games. Being a host is a learning position, and kind of fun in addition.

Incidentally, if you wish to join a game where the host is neutral, pm me.

Love to but Im fully committed to 2 WoN GAmes and 1 ATG Game which along running the site and other commitments has me stretched as it is.

Durk

Sun Jun 19, 2016 4:13 am

Excellent, enjoy.

gazfun
Corporal

Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:32 pm

actually I cant see where the host is neutral solves the security issues

Return to “Help improve WON”