John S. Mosby
Lieutenant

Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:24 am

Straight Arrow wrote:I don't know if is possible to rename the thread; I was able to rename the post heading, but not the thread.

As I recall the admin can rename it...when they "sticky" it! ;)

You did such a fine job with the "Points to Know - CSA" it will be very difficult and take some time to create a comparable list for the Union. I agree if one can keep a similar format it would be helpful. No rush as it will take time and familiarity. Thank you again Straight Arrow.

Gray Fox
AGEod Guard of Honor

Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:38 pm

Straight Arrow, you might start a new thread with all the correct info in your OP and we can continue this as a discussion thread for future advice to be added to the clean thread. The one clean post thread would be the candidate for a sticky.
I'm the 51st shade of gray. Eat, pray, Charge!

John S. Mosby
Lieutenant

Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:55 pm

Gray Fox wrote:Straight Arrow, you might start a new thread with all the correct info in your OP and we can continue this as a discussion thread for future advice to be added to the clean thread. The one clean post thread would be the candidate for a sticky.

Great idea Fox. We can keep that thread clean with strategy talk and discuss options here.

Straight Arrow
General

Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:18 pm

Gray Fox wrote:Straight Arrow, you might start a new thread with all the correct info in your OP and we can continue this as a discussion thread for future advice to be added to the clean thread. The one clean post thread would be the candidate for a sticky.

Sounds like a plan; will do.
Like arrows in the hand of a warrior are the children of one's youth.

Gray Fox
AGEod Guard of Honor

Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:42 pm

I saw the new thread. You might add a link to this thread in addition to the warning.
Like this:

http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?39243-Points-to-Know

John S. Mosby
Lieutenant

Sat Mar 26, 2016 6:25 am

Does anyone know the exact date the CSA has to hold Manassas for a Union -10NM penalty?

GraniteStater
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:29 am

I think it's September 61 & I think it's the beginning of the October turn wherein you are penalized. Close to that.
[color="#AFEEEE"]"Liberty and Union, now and forever, one and inseparable!"[/color]
-Daniel Webster

[color="#FFA07A"]"C'mon, boys, we got the damn Yankees on the run!"[/color]
-General Joseph Wheeler, US Army, serving at Santiago in 1898

RULES
(A) When in doubt, agree with Ace.
(B) Pull my reins up sharply when needed, for I am a spirited thoroughbred and forget to turn at the post sometimes.

Captain_Orso

Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:34 pm

Looking at the Papers Push for Offensive (61) event, this is actually a number of events which I see have some issues.

The main event which fires and tells you if you have succeeded or failed fires on 1861/09/30, but this event uses a secondary event to check if the Union has succeeded, and this event is written so that you can only succeed if you control Fauquier_VA on 1861/09/15, otherwise it fails, even if the Union does control Fauquier_VA between 1861/09/15 and 1861/09/30, which would happen if the Union won in Fauquier during the '61 Sept, Late turn.

John S. Mosby
Lieutenant

Sat Mar 26, 2016 2:08 pm

I will note 9/15/61 with penalty accessed on 9/30/61.
Thank you sirs, much appreciated.

RebelYell
General of the Army

Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:13 pm

- The Coast is a naked, one armed, lady trying to cover herself.
- Lee was right - don't defend the coast at the point of attack. Keep your strongest, fastest, meanest 1,000 power division camped out on a rail line in the Deep South. If you move fast enough, you can get that beast anywhere from New Orleans to Jacksonville to Wilmington in 14 days.
- If you decide to defend on the beaches - strategic, coastal cities should be garrisoned with at least a division, leader and a supply wagon.
- Defend New Orleans; the first attack will most likely come in the winter of 61-62.

Did Lee really say that? Can I have the whole quote as I am interested?

If you dont defend the important cities you will loose them all fast, if there are no speed bumps the reserves will not get them back very easily.

Not only should you have coastal defense forces you should consider forts as a second line to prevent expanding the beachhead.

You also need closer to 3000+ power force to push the landing back to the sea.

The Union is usually landing multiple divisions, you need to engage them from the start and keep them cut from supply at the same time making them run trough what they brought with them.
You should also hit their second waves with coastal fleets and sea mines that you save up for this.
When they have comitted to the landing they will support it until the end as they are fighting with their backs to the sea.
The Union needs to loose just one landing and they are facing a NM hit of huge proportions for the game.

Straight Arrow
General

Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:39 am

RebelYell wrote:Did Lee really say that? Can I have the whole quote as I am interested?

Your question is excellent, but my answer is far from so; I hope forum members can shed more light. "The Lee was right" statement was made by Rod Smart, in the thread, "Southern "Hold Them" Strategy in a Tea Cup."

The quote "The Coast is a naked, one armed, lady trying to cover herself," is a Straight Arrow original. Though he may have agreed with the comment, I'm sure Lee would of bit off his tongue before saying it in such a crude way.

I dug around a little and the closest support I found for Rod's statement was at:
http://www.georgiaencyclopedia.org/articles/history-archaeology/union-blockade-and-coastal-occupation-civil-war

“In November 1861, Confederate president Jefferson Davis appointed General Robert E. Lee to reorganize Confederate coastal defenses. Lee quickly realized the impossibility of defending the entire coastline and decided to consolidate limited Confederate forces and materiel at key strategic points. He countered Union naval superiority by ensuring easy reinforcement of Confederate coastal positions along railroad lines. In this way, Lee minimized reliance upon the fledgling Confederate navy and maximized the use of Confederate military forces in coastal areas, including both Georgia's Sea Islands and mainland ports with railroad connections.”

Background information
After Lee was finally given a field command in western Virginia, he was "mortified" when Union general William S. Rosecrans defeated him at Cheat Mountain. In September 1861, Jefferson Davis relieved Lee and sent him to oversee the construction of fortifications along the Carolina and Georgia coasts. As Lee was a capable engineer trained at West Point, this made sense. By March 1862, he was back in Richmond and assigned the advisory position of managing "the conduct of military operations in the armies of the Confederacy."

Quotes
Two quotes from Lee’s personal letters during the time he was based at Coosawhatchie, a point midway between Charleston SC and Savannah GA, on the railroad, from where he oversaw coastal defenses and construction:

"Charleston, November 15, 1861.
My Precious Daughter: Another forlorn hope expedition. Worse than West Virginia....”

To his daughter Annie:
"Savannah, March 2, 1862.
I have been doing all I can with our small means and slow workmen to defend the cities and coast here. Against ordinary numbers we are pretty strong, but against the hosts our enemies seem able to bring everywhere there is no calculating. But if our men will stand to their work, we shall give them trouble and damage them yet.”

Official records
I could not find an official report by Lee to President Davis. But as the georgiaencyclopedia comments exist, something must be out there. The War of the Rebellion: Serial 006 Page 000, has the following documents:

Nov. 5, 1861.-The coasts of South Carolina, Georgia, and East Florida, constituted a department, under command of General Robert E. Lee, C. S. Army.
7, 1861.-Forts Beauregard and Walker, Port Bay, S. C., captured by U. S. Navy.
8, 1861.-General Robert E. Lee, C. S. Army, assumes command of the Department of South Carolina, Georgia, and East Florida.
Reconnaissance on Hilton Head Island, S. C.
10-11, 1861.-Expedition for Hilton Head to Braddock's Point, S. C.
16, 1861.-Captain D. N. Ingraham, C. S. Navy, assigned to duty in Charleston Harbor, S. C.
24, 1861.-Union forces occupy Tybee Island, Ga.
December 6-7, 1861.-Expedition to Port Royal Ferry and Beaufort, S. C.
17, 1861.-Evacuation of Rockville, S. C., by the Confederate forces.
Skirmish on Chisolm's Island, S. C.
20, 1861.-Stone fleet sunk at the entrance to Charleston Harbor, S. C.
Jan. 1, 1862.-Engagement at Port Royal Ferry, Coosaw River, S. C.
11, 1862.-The Department of Key West, Fla., constituted, under command of Brigadier General John M. Brannan, U. S. Army.

RebelYell
General of the Army

Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:05 pm

Straight Arrow wrote:Your question is excellent, but my answer is far from so; I hope forum members can shed more light. "The Lee was right" statement was made by Rod Smart, in the thread, "Southern "Hold Them" Strategy in a Tea Cup."

The quote "The Coast is a naked, one armed, lady trying to cover herself," is a Straight Arrow original. Though he may have agreed with the comment, I'm sure Lee would of bit off his tongue before saying it in such a crude way.

I dug around a little and the closest support I found for Rod's statement was at:
http://www.georgiaencyclopedia.org/articles/history-archaeology/union-blockade-and-coastal-occupation-civil-war

“In November 1861, Confederate president Jefferson Davis appointed General Robert E. Lee to reorganize Confederate coastal defenses. Lee quickly realized the impossibility of defending the entire coastline and decided to consolidate limited Confederate forces and materiel at key strategic points. He countered Union naval superiority by ensuring easy reinforcement of Confederate coastal positions along railroad lines. In this way, Lee minimized reliance upon the fledgling Confederate navy and maximized the use of Confederate military forces in coastal areas, including both Georgia's Sea Islands and mainland ports with railroad connections.”

Background information
After Lee was finally given a field command in western Virginia, he was "mortified" when Union general William S. Rosecrans defeated him at Cheat Mountain. In September 1861, Jefferson Davis relieved Lee and sent him to oversee the construction of fortifications along the Carolina and Georgia coasts. As Lee was a capable engineer trained at West Point, this made sense. By March 1862, he was back in Richmond and assigned the advisory position of managing "the conduct of military operations in the armies of the Confederacy."

Quotes
Two quotes from Lee’s personal letters during the time he was based at Coosawhatchie, a point midway between Charleston SC and Savannah GA, on the railroad, from where he oversaw coastal defenses and construction:

"Charleston, November 15, 1861.
My Precious Daughter: Another forlorn hope expedition. Worse than West Virginia....”

To his daughter Annie:
"Savannah, March 2, 1862.
I have been doing all I can with our small means and slow workmen to defend the cities and coast here. Against ordinary numbers we are pretty strong, but against the hosts our enemies seem able to bring everywhere there is no calculating. But if our men will stand to their work, we shall give them trouble and damage them yet.”

Official records
I could not find an official report by Lee to President Davis. But as the georgiaencyclopedia comments exist, something must be out there. The War of the Rebellion: Serial 006 Page 000, has the following documents:

Nov. 5, 1861.-The coasts of South Carolina, Georgia, and East Florida, constituted a department, under command of General Robert E. Lee, C. S. Army.
7, 1861.-Forts Beauregard and Walker, Port Bay, S. C., captured by U. S. Navy.
8, 1861.-General Robert E. Lee, C. S. Army, assumes command of the Department of South Carolina, Georgia, and East Florida.
Reconnaissance on Hilton Head Island, S. C.
10-11, 1861.-Expedition for Hilton Head to Braddock's Point, S. C.
16, 1861.-Captain D. N. Ingraham, C. S. Navy, assigned to duty in Charleston Harbor, S. C.
24, 1861.-Union forces occupy Tybee Island, Ga.
December 6-7, 1861.-Expedition to Port Royal Ferry and Beaufort, S. C.
17, 1861.-Evacuation of Rockville, S. C., by the Confederate forces.
Skirmish on Chisolm's Island, S. C.
20, 1861.-Stone fleet sunk at the entrance to Charleston Harbor, S. C.
Jan. 1, 1862.-Engagement at Port Royal Ferry, Coosaw River, S. C.
11, 1862.-The Department of Key West, Fla., constituted, under command of Brigadier General John M. Brannan, U. S. Army.

I would think Lee also wanted strong points in all the major cities and blocking rivers that led inland.

The quote suggest using mobile reserves to hit invasions to these points, same is a I described.

Straight Arrow
General

Wed May 11, 2016 4:19 pm

I would like to add useful links to Points to Know - CSA. An example of such information would be Stauffenberg’s Confederate Events & Reinforcement List, never leave home without it, and the Confederate and Union Leaders description and data listings.

If you know of any material that should be included, please post the link to this thread and I’ll work it in.

Cardinal Ape
General of the Army

Sat May 14, 2016 4:15 am

Initiative is a stat often used in games, usually it determines who goes first. If, like me, you brought that assumption to this game you would be wrong. Maybe someone else feel into the trap as me..

Initiative is a stat used to determine an elements preparedness for battle. Each round an element participates in a battle it will make a check against it's initiative value. A ten-sided die will be rolled, if the result is higher than the element's initiative value they will fail the check. Failure will result in the element losing one rate of fire for the duration of the combat round.

Now I can stop chasing dreams of getting my artillery div's to first fire before the enemies. As far as I can tell the order of fire is completely random.

It stands to reason that a well-led division composed primarily of units with an initiative value of 9 or higher would see almost no benefit from a sharpshooter. I wonder if it wouldn't be better to prioritize sharpshooters to your worst divisions first for the best affect. Militia divisions with their 6 initiative seem like prime targets.

Not too long ago there was some discussion about what exactly the command penalty malus did. I found some old test run by Narwhal for AJE, the results seem to carry over to RoP so they may also apply to CW2, though, perhaps with different values. I've checked the concept against a few battle logs and it seems fit the bill.

From Narwahl:

Command Test

You remember the “out of command” malus when you do not have enough Command Point in the stack – the little number in red going from 5% to 25%. Well, it plays a role here.

Each stack with a command malus have ALL its elements run two tests with a chance of failure equal to the command malus :
- Failure of the first test makes the element lose one in rate of fire
- Failure of the second test makes the element lose one or two (depending on the command malus) in initiative.

In addition, each element must do a “quality test” under its initiative. If it fails, all is not lost, the element can “save” by making a test under the offensive / defensive of the leader. If even this is failed, the unit loses one more in ROF.

vicberg
AGEod Grognard

Sat May 14, 2016 1:44 pm

I'm not sure about the ROF affects. I haven't seen anything in the battle logs about ROF loss.

Initiative determines who shoots first. If you check the battle logs, you'll see just before the round of combat the initiative rolls. So a +1 init for a sharpshooter gives that side a +1 on the initiative. Each unit has an initiative rating. Elite units have a 10 Initiative + 1 = 11. Since it goes to 11, it will fire first over an elite unit without a sharpshooter. Shooting first is huge as you cause losses first and have a chance to cause the enemy cohesion to drop significantly affecting the rest of the combat.

Command ratings determine the number of elements to be included in the combat based also on terrain and frontage and a roll. Strategic rating is used for that, I believe.

Command malus has a huge impact on combat. For EACH element in combat:

- Compare the stat rating of the stack leader (attack if in offensive posture or defense if in defensive posture) to the stat rating of the opposing leader and multiple by 5. So a 6 leader vs a 4 leader is 2 x 5 = 10.
- Then compare the unit leader (division or brigade) stat rating (attack or defense) to the opposing unit leader of the targeted element. Multiple the difference by 3. So a 4 attack vs. a 2 defense is = 2 * 3.
- Add up stack leader and unit leader, which would be 16 in this example. 16% is added to each chance to hit and 16% is subtracted from the opposing side chance to hit. If the -16% reduces the chance to hit below the base chance to hit, use the base chance to hit instead.
- A stack that has -10% command malus has -10% to ALL combat rolls in addition to the comparisons done above.

Leadership has the single biggest impact on combat. Again, I haven't seen anything about ROF getting affected at all. What can happen is a unit gets hit and goes into passive mode, which means no further combat for the duration. That's an impact on ROF.

vicberg
AGEod Grognard

Sat May 14, 2016 1:51 pm

From Narwahl:

Command Test

You remember the “out of command” malus when you do not have enough Command Point in the stack – the little number in red going from 5% to 25%. Well, it plays a role here.

Each stack with a command malus have ALL its elements run two tests with a chance of failure equal to the command malus :
- Failure of the first test makes the element lose one in rate of fire
- Failure of the second test makes the element lose one or two (depending on the command malus) in initiative.

In addition, each element must do a “quality test” under its initiative. If it fails, all is not lost, the element can “save” by making a test under the offensive / defensive of the leader. If even this is failed, the unit loses one more in ROF.

If this is true, it's not captured in the combat logs. TQ tests (troop quality) happen for assaults and command malus affects that along with all combat rolls.

This is a very good thing to know unless it's based on AACW or something like that.

Cardinal Ape
General of the Army

Sat May 14, 2016 10:33 pm

Do you have error logging on? Without it the battle log seems to get truncated, no to hit rolls and quality checks are shown. With it on, here is what I was referring to:

3:44:56 PM (Reporting) Failed TQ in battle 28th Illinois Adj Quality 8 Leader bonus 6
3:44:56 PM (Reporting) USA 1006338 28th Illinois [Line] Round ROF: 1 Round Initiative: 9 BattleGround: Hills

I do not think that initiative has any bearing on who fires first. I used to think so, but what I see in the logs is that units with a lower initiative value consistently fire before units with higher value.

I took another look at a log and tried to make sense of the order of fire, I see no method to it, seems very random.

In the opening round at range four, there are 18 eligible SU's that can fire. Of these 18 SU's, two elements have the highest initiative of 11. Due to rate of fire there are a total of 38 attack actions made before moving on to range 3. The four attacks made from the units with the highest initiative happen on actions number 11, 24, 30, and 31. In this combat, most elements with a lower initiative have fired their entire RoF before an element with the highest initiative of 11 have even fired a single shot.

Here is the log if you want to confirm.
[ATTACH]38892[/ATTACH]
Attachments
!BattleLog.7z
(57.95 KiB) Downloaded 246 times

vicberg
AGEod Grognard

Mon May 16, 2016 2:41 am

Well hmmm...yes I have error logging on but never noticed the ROF adjustment, so going with what you are saying. Initiative is a real head scratch. They dedicate a section to setting initiative but honestly, I never checked close enough to verify that it's actually using initiative. Looks like it isn't.

Pocus

Mon May 16, 2016 9:27 am

That can be. The code is crystal clear on that. Initiative is a weight to determine who gets picked first, for a given firing distance.

If there was a bug, that would mean a low level, commonly used function, is buggy and you would get dozens of others bugs in all the engine probably.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

JacquesDeLalaing
Colonel

Mon May 16, 2016 11:11 am

Here is the order of firing elements with their initiative at distance 4 in round 1 frm Cardinal Apes log:

8,8,8,8,8,8,9,8,8,8,*,8,9,8,8,8,8,8,9,8,10,8,8,11,8,8,8,8,10,10,11,10,8,8,11,8,8,8

* = an element (1006143) which was not listed at the starting-section of the battle-log, so I can't show its intitiative-value. Before it fired, it had been targeted by an opponent.
Moreover, some elements made fewer shots than their RoF (1008552, 1007562, 1008559, 1007013). (Not because of TQ-test-fails). Not sure why.

Generally speaking, I don't think that you can draw conclusions from such a tiny sample. As I understand it, there is quite a large random factor added to the firing-/initiative-order. I guess the difference between 8 and 11 doesn't matter so much as to produce visible results in this tiny sample?
[CENTER][color="#A52A2A"] S I L E S I A I N R U P T A[/color]
- a work-in-progress mod for Rise of Prussia - [/CENTER]

Gray Fox
AGEod Guard of Honor

Mon May 16, 2016 1:06 pm

To clarify the point to this counter-point, the AGEOD Wiki states that the initiative does the following:

http://www.ageod.net/agewiki/Combat_Explained#Who_goes_first.3F

"Who goes first?
The order of fire is determined by the initiative-values of the elements: elements with higher initiative are likely to open fire before elements with lower initiative (there is a random factor involved though!). Each element has an initiative value that can be improved by some abilities or by experience, and can be degraded if the army is under commanded."

As to the Rate of Fire effect:

"Rate of Fire
As soon as battle reaches a range where an element can fire, this element will use its full Rate of Fire (RoF). So if. for example, an artillery element has a range of 4 and a RoF of 2, it will shoot 2 times at range 4. For the rest of the round, it will only fire once per range. So the artillery will fire 1 time at range 3, one time at range 2, one time at range 1. When the next round of combat begins (at range 1), it will again use its full RoF. The inherent RoF of an element may be reduced if it suffers under a command penalty or if an element is considered shaken "

Thus, after the first round, the ROF is one for all SU's until the assault round. So either these statements are wrong, or not.

vicberg
AGEod Grognard

Mon May 16, 2016 1:29 pm

For initiative, I think it's clear that it's not an automatic fire first, but a weighted chance to fire first. There's obviously some type of roll going on. Also, initiative is used for this command malus check, so having a +1 on initiative from a sharpshooter doesn't seem to hurt.

ROF has me confused. Combat starts at a variable range. So say it starts at range 3. For that round, combat goes from range 3 to 2 to 1 and then 0 and if neither side breaks off, the second round starts at range 2. At range 3, everything that can fire will fire full ROF unless reduced by command malus. Then ROF goes down to 1 for the remaining ranges down to 0 (assault) for that round.

So what happens if a unit IS affected by command malus. An ROF of 2 goes down to 1 or possibly 0. Does the ROF get reduced down to 0 for the remaining ranges for THAT combat round? So can a unit get a 0 ROF for the entire combat?

Cardinal Ape
General of the Army

Tue May 17, 2016 2:31 am

Ya, it is nice to know that initiative is not an automatic first fire. To me, it seems the order is largely random with a tiny weight adjustment based on the initiative value. The way it is phrased on the wiki seems to imply that initiative is the dominant factor, that units with a higher value will consistently fire first, which is a bit misleading.

After the first full round of combat all following rounds will start at range one.

At the start of each round of combat all elements on the field will have to make quality checks. Any prior failed quality checks will thrown out. So, yes, an element that fails a quality check will have it's ROF restored to full in the next round, assuming they don't fail the check again. I thought I remembered reading somewhere that the minimum ROF is one, so a unit will never be completely idle, not 100% sure on that.

In the second round of combat and all subsequent rounds, which will start at range one, all elements will again get to fire with their full ROF. In the above combat log this can be seen with the 6th Minnesota firing in round 2 on actions 395 and 412. (note that the engine refers to the first round of combat as round 0, the second as round 1, and so on.)

What I don't understand is why some elements do not use their entire ROF when possible. Maybe it is an issue with ammo.. I've no clue.

Gray Fox
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue May 17, 2016 4:20 pm

As I see it, initiative is described as who fires first in each individual combat. Sub Units A and B are chosen randomly to fire at each other. The initiative number, +1 if affected by a sharpshooter and then with the addition of a random number are summed for A and B. The SU with the higher sum fires first. Now, SUs X and Y may have lower sums and still show up on the !Battlelog first, because the program randomly chooses the firing SUs. However, each firing pair of combatants have an SU that fires first as determined by the initiative sum.

Cardinal Ape
General of the Army

Wed May 18, 2016 7:41 am

Are you sure about that? I am doubtful that is the case. :sherlock:

In that scenario, B is supposed to fire back at A, right? Looking at the battlelog I see B firing at C, D, and E. I can't find an instance of units squaring off against each other.

Captain_Orso

Wed May 18, 2016 10:25 am

IIRC before any shooting, the Units (Divisions are Units in this regard), which put into Frontage for the coming combat-round--which means they will fight in that round--are picked beforehand.

The 'best' are picked first. 'Best' being, highest cohesion and quality. There's a formula for determining this, which I've never seen, which extrapolates a value for comparing the units.

You might have a division with highly experienced elements, which has low cohesion because of being forced marched, which although the quality is the highest in the stack, because of low cohesion, will not be put into frontage at the start.

This is done for each side pairing each side's best unit against the other sides best unit.

But there are two cases which can cause 'left-overs':
- What if two paired-off units do not have the same number of infantry elements? >=1 element would be targeted more than once, and conversely, on the other side one element would have more than one target.
- What if one side puts more Units into Frontage than the other. The same thing would happen, but on a larger scale.

I'm not sure if the order of firing goes by the order in which the units are selected, but ultimately it is inconsequential, because which-unit-targets-which-unit is determined beforehand.

I believe that before the next round of battle, the 'best' units are picked again, but I'm not totally sure of that. It might be that if a unit is already in the frontage, it remains there until it fails to pass a morale check. I'd have to look it up.

Gray Fox
AGEod Guard of Honor

Wed May 18, 2016 12:03 pm

Many times on the !Battlelog, the mechanics are listed line by line for SU's and no actual combat happens. I believe that if the SU doesn't even get that far due to inability to engage, then the mechanics aren't listed.

What I described is what the Wiki states is happening. Initiative determines who fires first in each combat. This doesn't mean that the other SU fires second. Their cohesion or whatever may prevent that from happening.

Straight Arrow
General

Tue May 31, 2016 6:54 pm

Gents,

I'm having problems trying to distill the above debate on Initiative for Points to Know. Anyone want to try boiling the lot down to a few simple facts?

Cardinal Ape
General of the Army

Tue May 31, 2016 10:01 pm

We did go pretty far down the technical rabbit-hole on that one. Seems like we hit bedrock.. Lacking the knowledge of how the hidden initiative roll is constructed it is difficult to say how important initiative is.

I originally got started on this initiative kick because Gray Fox said in another thread that the +1 bonus from sharpshooters was trivial. My first impression was that he was wrong, it just didn't sound right. But after some research I'm inclined to agree. When I looked at the combat logs I was expecting to be able see the difference initiative makes, but I can not.

I'd say to keep using sharpshooters as you have previously. They are too cheap to not give every division one.

If I had all my sharpshooters in use I would consider removing them from elite divisions, and move them to divisions with a lower average initiative rating. My logic here is that base initiative rating of elites and experienced infantry is already good enough.

Militia heavy divisions may get the most benefit from sharpshooters. Their value is 6, each element will need to roll lower than their value on a ten-sided die or their rate of fire will suffer. Dropping that 40% failure rate down to 30% strikes me as worthwhile.

If I only had one sharpshooter and I needed to decide which division gets it, I would give it to the division with the lowest average initiative value. If there was a tie it would then go to the division led by the general with the lowest strategic rating.

Gray Fox
AGEod Guard of Honor

Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:23 pm

CW2 has been called a "game of inches". The random number in the initiative roll is an unknown. Expert infantry with a sharpshooter may get slaughtered by militia without, but the odds say no. You should try to give your boys every break, but Lady Luck still has a say. When it comes to the last volley, firing first may be the difference in who runs and who is the last standing. So I would use sharpshooters with the best and use the best to win.

Return to “Civil War II”