The Guru
Private

movement plotting

Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:02 pm

Is there a "wait" order that delays a unit, in order to coordinate a converging attack with stacks arriving later in the region? ( I have had nasty surprises with small stacks attacking alone without waiting for reinforcing forxes, just because they were closer to their target). OrOr a button ordering independent units to incorporate other formations in their destination region in order to avoid penalties? If they exist, please tell me where and how.

ajarnlance
General of the Army

Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:40 pm

The Guru wrote:Is there a "wait" order that delays a unit, in order to coordinate a converging attack with stacks arriving later in the region? ( I have had nasty surprises with small stacks attacking alone without waiting for reinforcing forxes, just because they were closer to their target). OrOr a button ordering independent units to incorporate other formations in their destination region in order to avoid penalties? If they exist, please tell me where and how.

As far as I know the answer to both is no. If you have 2 armies in the same region you can order them to synchronize movement so that they arrive in the destination region together but this is not available for independent corps/ units. You can hold a unit over another unit that is already present in a destination region and it will merge when it arrives. You can also do this to enemy units and your unit will attempt to follow and attack the enemy unit if it moves away from the original destination (can result in some unexpected moves!). Coordination was a problem historically during this time period and I think that is reflected accurately in the game. If you play with veteran activation it adds another element of chance to the fulfilment of orders. I remember reading how as the early western front movements developed Moltke felt like he was groping in the dark, sometimes not even sure of the location of his own forces, let alone the enemy!
"I can anticipate no greater calamity for the country than the dissolution of the Union... and I am willing to sacrifice everything but honor for its preservation." Robert E. Lee (1807-1870)

Check out my 'To End All Wars' AAR: http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?38262-The-Kaiser-report-the-CP-side-of-the-war-against-Jinx-and-PJL

The Guru
Private

Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:01 pm

Well, we're not dealing with stone age tribes here. Coordination was within the capabilities of the military leadership at the time. Now, that some in-game routines checking for SNAFU's may disrupt plans, that's another thing ( based on leader levels and characteristics as bonuses or penalties). but the idea that I cannot even ask (!) troops to delay movement is upsetting. Coordination of axes of progression might not be automically successful, but you should at least be allowed to attempt it, and occasionally succeed! This could also be important if you want to make a cautious advance and maximize control over the regions you move through ( the cautious counterpart to a forced march order).
Also, you should be allowed to change posture during the course of your movement . Imagine I have a weak force right ahead of me, but beyond I expect to meet with massive opposition. I want to brush resistance aside, move ahead and prepare to meet defensively the enemy force, which I believe outnumbers me. How do I do it? If I want to attack the weak enemy ahead, I'll have to be in offensive posture, so when I'll meet the big enemy force beyond, I'll have to attack them too? And if I don't want to commit that sort of suicide, then I cannot attack the weak force right ahead?
14-day turns are very long periods of time! It is essential to allow for some flexibility! orders and counter-orders could and were often received on a daily basis...

Col Ret
Corporal

Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:28 am

Sorry to say there is still a definite need to set the date in which units from separate areas attack or move into a common adjoining area. As noted the ‘Synchronize Movement’ button does not provide this capability. The game does not reflect the increasingly sophisticated coordination achieved in timing offensives at this point in history. There may be some level of discoordination between units of various nationalities in this regard, but even generals of limited ability could usually coordinate a date, if not the hour (which is not our concern here), of a major operation.

Return to “Help improve EAW”