Altaris

Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:32 pm

Well the mod is built for 7 day turns in the height of campaign season (late spring/summer/early fall) so removing the scripts would mean 7 day turns throughout rather than 15. That's 48 turns a year, with a bunch of them during months where little is going on (December-February come to mind, even in vanilla game). This mod ends up being 30 turns a year with scripts on, which is only slightly longer than vanilla, but allowing for far greater flexibility of action with 7 day turns than 15.

Originally I designed it with 7 day turns throughout (48 turns a year) and it was unbelievably boring during the winter. So much so I hardly wanted to play it. So I think it's important to keep in, particularly in a multiplayer campaign which takes a lot of time anyway.

I'll see if I can adjust naval times, but I don't think the same should be done for land units, otherwise there's just too much room for causing mischief like running deep behind enemy lines. Rail pools could be moved up considerably, though, to account for strategic redeployment.

PJL
Lieutenant

Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:21 pm

I think you're missing the point here. I'm not too concerned whether it is 7 day turns or not. What I would like is movement to be made throughout the turn length. That is far more immersion breaking to me than the enemy running behind the lines (which isn't such a big issue these days with the cohesion loss and other things that have largely fixed it). If it is not possible to do that, then I recommend you go back to fixed turn lengths throughout the year, and if that is too long with 7 days, then I say go back to 15.

Apart from this aspect, it's a great mod, and one which I would like to use in future.
Nico - Icon

'From without a thousand cycles
A thousand cycles to come
A thousand times to win
A thousand ways to run the world'
- Nico, 'Frozen Warnings'

Shri

Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:38 pm

Hi guys, back on these forums after a very long break due to RL.

@Altaris, great to hear you are still tweaking the awesome MOD, will be interested in playing a PBEM.
Rascals, would you live forever? - Frederick the Great.

Lemelem
Private

Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:24 pm

Broken link :(

Altaris

Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:54 am

Link live again.

New version won't be done today ran across a couple of bugs that took a big chunk of the day. But it's shaping up well. Hope by end of week, though my time to work on it this weekend is a bit limited.

Temgesic
Lieutenant

Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:27 am

Altaris wrote:Link live again.

New version won't be done today ran across a couple of bugs that took a big chunk of the day. But it's shaping up well. Hope by end of week, though my time to work on it this weekend is a bit limited.

Nooooo! Have to wait to play again then :P

vicberg
AGEod Grognard

Sun Jan 17, 2016 6:40 pm

We are into January, 1915 and Molke is still around. Does he decide to forgo retirement because Paris fell?

Ace

Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:39 am

Yes

Altaris

Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:48 pm

I'll double-check, but that's the intent. If Paris falls, Moltke isn't sacked (he's considered a genius rather than an incompetent!)

vicberg
AGEod Grognard

Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:15 pm

Altaris wrote:I'll double-check, but that's the intent. If Paris falls, Moltke isn't sacked (he's considered a genius rather than an incompetent!)

LOL and I've had Falkenhayn sitting around awaiting the transition. Excellent. Another Army Commander!

smiljkovic73
Conscript

Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:34 pm

Few questions and observations about this great Mod (playing it as Russia in one PBEM):
- Looks like production of new units is always 7 days per turn, no metter how long turn does take (even during one month winter months). Was this intentional?
- Are Russians penalized somehow for besieging forts? I've run test, and even with army with 3 eng and 1 heavy artillery unit it failed to produce single breach at Przesmyl for 6 months in row...and witl lvl 2 forts preventing movement in that hex (which is a bit controversial for me) it's quite annoying not to be able to take a fort besieged for a year...
- non-Russian units that have bugged icon do have a problem not be able to switch them between corps/armies. Once such unit is added to corp/army you can't move it out

steelwarrior77
Colonel

Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:14 pm

A few improvements - the British cannot build trenches on French soil and the French trenches do not seem to have an effect on British troops...

Nostra
Corporal

Sat Jan 23, 2016 1:43 pm

smiljkovic73 wrote:Few questions and observations about this great Mod (playing it as Russia in one PBEM):
- Looks like production of new units is always 7 days per turn, no metter how long turn does take (even during one month winter months). Was this intentional?
- Are Russians penalized somehow for besieging forts? I've run test, and even with army with 3 eng and 1 heavy artillery unit it failed to produce single breach at Przesmyl for 6 months in row...and witl lvl 2 forts preventing movement in that hex (which is a bit controversial for me) it's quite annoying not to be able to take a fort besieged for a year...
- non-Russian units that have bugged icon do have a problem not be able to switch them between corps/armies. Once such unit is added to corp/army you can't move it out

Premzsyl has alot of cannons and engineers who roll against your Siege roles. Might just be that. Also engineers dont stack as far as I know

Altaris

Sat Jan 23, 2016 1:51 pm

steelwarrior77 wrote:A few improvements - the British cannot build trenches on French soil and the French trenches do not seem to have an effect on British troops...

This is fixed in new version (which I hope I can actually get finished in the near future)

I'll look into the siege issue.

smiljkovic73
Conscript

Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:24 pm

Nostra wrote:Premzsyl has alot of cannons and engineers who roll against your Siege roles. Might just be that. Also engineers dont stack as far as I know

So, than it-s better to have more small stacks with one Engineer unit in it than one huge with lot of engineers in it?
But, agai, it's hard to breach Prezmsyl that way either (with no siege artillery available to Russia)...which is a bit ahistoric (it fell quite fast to Russian assault and with unbreached lvl 2 fort you cant try to assault fort at all)

smiljkovic73
Conscript

Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:25 pm

Is it also some problem with entrenching with Russians? I have several units sitting for several months at same hex (along Niemen river) and they fail to entrench to lvl1?

fatihfb13
Civilian

Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:25 pm

Link broken

steelwarrior77
Colonel

Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:26 pm

Altaris wrote:This is fixed in new version (which I hope I can actually get finished in the near future)

I'll look into the siege issue.

Great looking forward to the new version...

Altaris

Sun Jan 24, 2016 7:36 pm

Link live again on main page.

So, for the next version, I"m implementing some features that I've always wanted to do with a WW1 game. Since WW1 really should be a slog-fest of wearing down your opponents quality of troops, the new version will help simulate this in a cleaner fashion.

Each nation will start with its initial armies, comprised of half elements which are trained line infantry, and half which are reserve line infantry. There will be some exceptions, such as the initial BEF being all trained infantry with extra XP, and German reserve companies will have more XP than the other European nations. They'll also have roughly the same number of elements in replacement pools for line infantry as the strategic reserve. This will be the extent of trained infantry available to the nation! All other infantry formations raised will be made up of mobilized troops (which are essentially Militia class), which have poorer stats and are penalized when out of their "home area" (GBR and FRA are out of home area when not in Western Front, for example). As your line infantry elements lose hits, if you have run out of line infantry replacements, they will convert to mobilized (militia) elements. So the quality of infantry elements will gradually degrade over time, depending on how big the pre-war reserve is (Russians will run out first, for example, despite being able to field a large army in the form of mobilized elements). Officers help by providing training (XP) to units they are in, but mobilized troops will always be weaker than trained/reserve with corresponding XP levels, especially out of their home area.

Another major addition is War Mobilization Level. This level can be increased during the game by events, and it also automatically increases at various points. Mobilization level opens up certain events (such as sending Lenin to Russia, Unrestricted Sub Warfare, etc) representing nations became more desperate and open to more and more radical ideas as the war effort continued. The downside to War Mobilization Level is it reduces National Resiliency and increases War Weariness, which can lead to a nation's collapse if they get out of hand. War Mobilization helps represent certain aspects of the Great War, such as the Tsar's government never fully mobilizing to keep unrest at bay, and Hindenburg/Luddendorf's increasingly antagonistic behavior once they assumed a military dictatorship.

More details to come, wanted to share some of what I've been working on though.

ashandresash
Captain

Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:40 am

Thanks, Altaris. I really enjoy these glimpses, à la development diaries.

I like your approach about trained armies and quality degradation along the war once your 'trained' elements are gone. I don't know if there's a way to prevent a stack from reinforcing, or priorizating them, in order to keep some "elite units". Though it wouldn't be maybe too realistic (unless you were Stalin in WWII in terms of cannon fodder).

Maybe a solution would be a regional decision card, which could give XP (or 'change' quality of elements) at a cost (and after some time, of course).

Altaris

Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:48 pm

Elite units will be handled by Strosstruppen/Assault Troops, which become available as Infantry Tech progresses. These elements are Elite replacements, and will be in limited quantities compared to the layman troops as they'll be generated by the Infantry Research structures. They are small brigade sized units, but specialize in reducing trench levels and penetrating entrenchments. Tanks have a similar effect, but also have good protection, at the cost of being a separate research path.

Also, once Infantry & Artillery both reach Lvl 4 (maxed out), infantry corps will upgrade to a "combined arms" unit, which allows the corps to combine 1 Strosstruppen/Assault Troop, 1 Medium Artillery element, and 1 Tank element into the corps, allowing them to fight/commit together against specific targets, rather than spreading out across potential multiple targets (concentrated firepower). From testing so far, this seems to work pretty well for creating more of a "breakthrough" situation.

I've also spent a lot of time attempting to streamline units. Playing through BOA2 lately, it really struck me how nice it was to have fewer unit types to keep track of. AJE, the same way. I always get a bit confused dealing with tons of different units, such as figuring out the difference between Engineers vs Pontooners vs Pioneers. Therefore I've reduced/combined some of the unit variety. Engineers and Medical units are the only service units now, infantry corps are built as one unit (though the quality of its elements will vary depending on whether they were starting units vs mobilized ones), that sort of thing. I want to keep the focus of the game fairly tight, not have a bunch of sprawl in an already huge war effort.

I like how it's shaping up, just taking longer than I had originally planned. Got a lot done this weekend though, hoping to wrap it up soon.

Shri

Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:34 pm

Hey Altaris,

Great to hear that, but one doubt-

How do you define the "Home Areas?" German Armies fought the whole war (except a brief time period in 1914) on Foreign soil and Russians almost wholly on Home Soil (except in 1914 and then again in the immediate aftermath of Brusilov Offensive).
Austria-Hungary and Turkey did this too- Home Front Fighting as did Italy and France.
Whereas UK fought wholly out of their homeland - UK.

So, will German and British Troops receive some bonus to compensate for this fact? I hope you take this into account. Thanks.

Altaris

Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:04 pm

It's not finalized yet, but here's roughly what I'm thinking. HomeAreas will be Theaters, not just an Area, the field is just called HomeAreas so that's what I was referring to.

1) GER - Home front consists of Western (France) and Eastern (Russia) Fronts. Sud Army will have a special exception for Eastern (Balkan) Front (still working out how this will work).
2) FRA - Home front consists of Western (France) Front. This does not apply to French Foreign Legion, Indonesian, and North African troops, which can fight anywhere without penalty. FBA (French African, not including North African) are at home in Africa off-map areas.
3) GBR - Home front consists of Western (France) Front. This applies to Canadians as well. South Africans are at home in Africa, ANZAC's have no penalty anywhere. Indian troops have no penalty anywhere either. Territorial troops (GBT) are at home in off-map areas.
4) AUS - Home areas in Western Front (Italy), Eastern Front (Russia) and Eastern Front (Balkans).
5) RUS - Home areas in Eastern Front (Russia) and Eastern Front (Caucasus)
6) TUR - Home areas in Eastern Front (Caucasus) only. This means Middle-East is not home for British (except ANZAC's and Indians get no penalty) or Turks. Neither side did particularly spectacular in the Mid-East compared to their home theaters.
7) USA - Home area in Western Front (France).
8) ITA - Home area in Western Front (Italy)
9) Minors - TBD, sensible places though (i.e. Belgium in Western Front, Bulgaria/Romania/Serbia in Balkans, etc.)

steelwarrior77
Colonel

Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:52 am

Great stuff all of that - about Italy - if it joins the CPs it should be allowed to attack Frnce - otherwise fighting at the Western Front as WE country should not ;-D What kind of penalties do you plan?

Shri

Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:29 am

Sounds Great.

vicberg
AGEod Grognard

Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:52 am

Altaris, we've bounced up against the trench issue (Britain/France).

The fix to the RGD Card is to change this

MustBeOwnedRegion = 1

To this

SpecialInputCost_OwnKind = 0

The fix for sharing trenches seems to be a cooperation issue, so putting GBR in CoopTag for France and visa versa should fix that.

Am I correct here? If so, I might make these changes until your new version is ready.

steelwarrior77
Colonel

Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:27 am

Hey Altaris,

a little feedback on my CP PBEM campaign - I also took Paris and destroyed aboz 3.5k of French troops - but am still in 1915 stretched out already - also A-H gets really overrun by a far too strong Russia...will we have the militia spawn in the new mod version...I lack enough troops to defend France and attack Russia by now and Austria is kinda broken - please give the CPs more combat strength or more units as it is too hard right now even, when really succesful - I won 30 out of 32 battles, took Kowno, Lodz, Warsaw and some other places in the East - all Eastern French fortresses are taken or besieged except Langres yet and I hold everything North of the Seine and am still overstretched - France has 34 of my CP GB 41 and Russia about 88 - I had up to 189 NM at times and due to the WE retreating all of their forces from Africa - I own most of it...;-D

Russia, GB and France should be able to build 3 divisions each turn average and I and Austria are able to build about 1 1/2 divisions each turn - with Turkey maybe 2 - but Turkey joins very late...so we get overwhelmed and outnumbered in time, even without Italy and the USA joining the WE.

smiljkovic73
Conscript

Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:05 pm

Well, as Russian player that is to blame for A-H collapse ;) , I must say main reason for this is poor strategic decisions made by A-H at start (concentrating on Serbia instead defending on Carpathian mountains). Second reason is his poor tactical conduct where he repeatidly allowed for his armies to be cut-off and annihilated (or badly mauled)...which make his losses extremely high (more than 700k captured!)
Also, German trust on west helped me to focus on A-H :) ... so I don't think it's problem with mode (our second game kind a confirm that)

I too think there are some minor issues for Russian player (posted already about them) but nothing on game breaking level so far. For now, most frustrating thing is that in almost 10 months siege of Perzesmyl not a single breach was made (and no assault is possible either).

steelwarrior77
Colonel

Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:52 pm

Nope it is not only that - rebuilding also goes faster (double speed for all Entente see above) and I had 3k all the time in the East...that is still a balance issue aside from A-H getting mauled...the second game went different, because the Russian player messed up and A-H and Germany is played by the same player - very easy to coordinate...
Just make the maths Russia has about 95% of Germanies CP - GB about 50 and France aboz 60& - A-H only 60% So it starts already unbalanced - the whole Entente starts with 210% CP and the CPs with 160% - then it is just that France and Gb first need to collect their CP - thats why Germany can maul France - but by early 1915 that already chnages plus the double speed of building divisions for the Entente 3 to 1 1/2 for the CPs - then if Turkey enters early Italy will go 1915 already to the Entente which is kinda the end for the CPs...even more CP for the Entente pluzs even faster building of divisions...so something has to be done...I am winning but at the same time loosing - which is annoying...and that would even happen without Italy and the USA which usually always join the Entente...

vicberg
AGEod Grognard

Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:36 pm

steelwarrior77 wrote:Hey Altaris,

a little feedback on my CP PBEM campaign - I also took Paris and destroyed aboz 3.5k of French troops - but am still in 1915 stretched out already - also A-H gets really overrun by a far too strong Russia...will we have the militia spawn in the new mod version...I lack enough troops to defend France and attack Russia by now and Austria is kinda broken - please give the CPs more combat strength or more units as it is too hard right now even, when really succesful - I won 30 out of 32 battles, took Kowno, Lodz, Warsaw and some other places in the East - all Eastern French fortresses are taken or besieged except Langres yet and I hold everything North of the Seine and am still overstretched - France has 34 of my CP GB 41 and Russia about 88 - I had up to 189 NM at times and due to the WE retreating all of their forces from Africa - I own most of it...;-D

Russia, GB and France should be able to build 3 divisions each turn average and I and Austria are able to build about 1 1/2 divisions each turn - with Turkey maybe 2 - but Turkey joins very late...so we get overwhelmed and outnumbered in time, even without Italy and the USA joining the WE.

Have to be very careful. Germany had around 16 Armies by end of war and numerous independent corp (somewhere around 16). Right now, I think builds and replacements are fairly close to historically accurate. In Game 2, I've been able to build up around 3 Armies and a few corp. That's about right. As Germany, I haven't caused as much damage as you have in your game as Germany, but I've also haven't taken as many replacements. I've had somewhere around 1/2 the battles that you have had.

So you aren't able to build up as much as I have because you've been doing a GREAT job smashing the enemy. So instead of new Armies/Corp, you need replacements.

The issue in both games Markus, is that all of us have large armies in a few spots. We haven't started extending our lines yet. We can't have an army on every region in the Western Front. At some point, both sides will need to the trust trenches and have an Army HQ every other region, with corps in between the Armies. Then we will start seeing the static lines that go from the North Sea down to the Swiss Alps.

Return to “EAW Mods”