Count Mokusffy
Conscript

Austrian intervention in the Crimean War?

Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:06 am

Hello everyone,

A beginner's question regarding the Crimean War - with my anticipated excuses, in the event that this matter had been discussed before. I have recently started a GC as Austria (with the 1.04-August patch and Kensai's Grossdeutschland mod), trying to avoid some of its historical strategic failures. This meant, among other things, not shocking Russia with the depth of our ingratitude :) and intervening in the Crimean War.

And this is where the problems begin. The war broke out in early 1852 but, despite having a defensive alliance with Russia and also promising my local support, I did not get a CB against the Ottomans (who were the ones to declare war). I started degrading my relationship with the latter, thinking that maybe +1 or 0 wasn't enough for a declaration of war, to no avail. Then, after a few turns, I got the notification that my defensive treaty with Russia is no longer valid, no event, no explanation - despite the fact that Russian troops were present on my territory (which in turn gave me a short-term CB against my former allies...)

As it is, the entire situation seems pretty improbable and gamey to me. So please tell me, is there something I missed in the functioning of the defensive treaty/DoW engine? Is Austrian neutrality hard-coded in the game?

Erostratus
Corporal

Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:35 pm

Hmm I do not know whats going on with your defensive treaty, austria when I'm playing other nation usually goes to war on russians side, and then gets caught up with ottamans allies. If your local support was still active you shouldve gotten messages each turn telling you that you are losing prestige unless you respond with war.

loki100
AGEod Guard of Honor

Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:40 pm

Erostratus wrote:Hmm I do not know whats going on with your defensive treaty, austria when I'm playing other nation usually goes to war on russians side, and then gets caught up with ottamans allies. If your local support was still active you shouldve gotten messages each turn telling you that you are losing prestige unless you respond with war.

this is pretty much what should happen under the revised event set. Christophe's suggestions were built in.

for the op, I wonder if the problem lies with the GD mod, I've never used it but its possible we've corrected/amended something that now contradicts with Kensai's older work?
AJE The Hero, The Traitor and The Barbarian
PoN Manufacturing Italy; A clear bright sun
RoP The Mightiest Empires Fall
WIA Burning down the Houses; Wars in America; The Tea Wars

Count Mokusffy
Conscript

Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:47 am

Thank you for your quick replies! I started an Austrian GC without Kensai's mod to see whether the problem is still there, and will let you know as soon as I get to the Crimean War.

loki100
AGEod Guard of Honor

Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:32 am

Count Mokusffy wrote:Thank you for your quick replies! I started an Austrian GC without Kensai's mod to see whether the problem is still there, and will let you know as soon as I get to the Crimean War.

thanks, would be good to know. At least this indicates the revised Crimean events work

HerrDan

Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:11 pm

Count Mokusffy wrote:As it is, the entire situation seems pretty improbable and gamey to me.

Funny to read this line after reading that you are (were) playing the "Großdeutschland mod" :neener:
"Das Glück hilft dem Kühnen."

German Empire PON 1880 AAR:http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?35152-German-Empire-not-quite-an-AAR

Count Mokusffy
Conscript

Fri Sep 25, 2015 3:55 pm

HerrDan wrote:Funny to read this line after reading that you are (were) playing the "Großdeutschland mod" :neener:

These are two different discussions. It's one thing to try out the counterfactual perspectives opened by an Austrian victory in 1867, and another thing to see the game engine nullify an alliance while allied troops are strolling through the player's territory (Russian cavalry near Trieste etc.).

Anyway, I've reached mid-1854 with my unmodded game and I've had no Crimean War. There was a report announcing a crisis regarding the Holy Lands back in 1852, which was solved peacefully, with the Ottomans granting passage right to the Russians. Is this an ahistorical, yet legitimate scenario, or a bug?

loki100
AGEod Guard of Honor

Fri Sep 25, 2015 4:58 pm

Count Mokusffy wrote:These are two different discussions. It's one thing to try out the counterfactual perspectives opened by an Austrian victory in 1867, and another thing to see the game engine nullify an alliance while allied troops are strolling through the player's territory (Russian cavalry near Trieste etc.).

agree, its a great mod and quite legitimate to make Austria more interesting if you do manage to win in 1867. I think that Kensai may have imposed his own fix on the Crimean war issues which is possibly what is now causing the problem

Count Mokusffy wrote:Anyway, I've reached mid-1854 with my unmodded game and I've had no Crimean War. There was a report announcing a crisis regarding the Holy Lands back in 1852, which was solved peacefully, with the Ottomans granting passage right to the Russians. Is this an ahistorical, yet legitimate scenario, or a bug?

Yes, the event has a number of branches and in one the Ottomans will back down ending the crisis

Count Mokusffy
Conscript

Fri Sep 25, 2015 6:28 pm

loki100 wrote:Yes, the event has a number of branches and in one the Ottomans will back down ending the crisis

Thank you, it's good to know this. I'll keep you posted on any further issues I may encounter in my Austrian saga. :)

Return to “Pride of Nations”