JayR
Conscript

Well?

Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:01 pm

I've been interested in this title for a while because I'm interested (but no expert) in the subject.

So how is it for players out there, especially ones like me who did not have the previous title and haven't played any other games in the system?

I'm especially interested in the AI but would also like to know how likely it would be for me to find other players.

Thanks!

Baris
AGEod Guard of Honor

Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:46 am

I think this game is one of the best AGEOD operational titles. Main change (not only limited to) is the Reds early counter offensives. They now have the strenght to do so. Every unit model now has multi task abilities&bonuses and even red guards with proper leader has better cohesion and uses when massed. And also no desertion for them like regular units.

With the event manual it is more user friendly about historical&non historical choices for new players. For 2-3 players pbem, GC is very good and doesn't have bugs that I know of.

ERISS
AGEod Guard of Honor

Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:11 am

JayR wrote: interested in this title while I'm no expert in the subject.

You will learn a lot!

how is it for players who did not have the previous title and haven't played any other games in the system?

It will be though! RUS-Gold is one of the more complex Ageod' game. With all the added features in the Gold it may become as complex as PrideOfNation.
However you should be sucked in this messy world, and want to read much about, and be motivated to learn how to play.

I'm especially interested in the AI

With all the Gold added features, it should not be better than previous title as I don't think the Gold AI was made learning all of the new features, however it's at least good to learn the game.

how likely it would be for me to find other players.

The better would be to ask here:
http://www.ageod-forum.com/forumdisplay.php?88-PBEM-and-multiplayer-matchups-%28all-games%29

Orel
Brigadier General

Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:58 pm

JayR wrote:I've been interested in this title for a while because I'm interested (but no expert) in the subject.

So how is it for players out there, especially ones like me who did not have the previous title and haven't played any other games in the system?

I personally only own RUS vanilla and RUS Gold, so I learned about the Ageod engine when I started playing vanilla RUS. I would say after 2-3 PBEM games(at least one of which involves a more seasoned player like I or Baris) you become pretty experienced.

The game altogether: is very interesting IMHO.

JayR wrote:I'm especially interested in the AI but would also like to know how likely it would be for me to find other players.

Thanks!

AI: for a new player it is interesting, but after a while it becomes easy to defeat it.

Other players: not going to lie, there are not too many. I would like to play more games but as of now found enough opponents for only 2 games.
For united Russia!

andatiep

Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:26 pm

ERISS wrote:With all the added features in the Gold it may become as complex as PrideOfNation.

:mdr: No way, nothing can reach the hardcoregaming of Pride of Nation. RUS Gold is far much simple :) .
REVOLUTION UNDER SIEGE GOLD

JayR
Conscript

Sat Aug 01, 2015 12:21 am

Orel wrote:I personally only own RUS vanilla and RUS Gold, so I learned about the Ageod engine when I started playing vanilla RUS. I would say after 2-3 PBEM games(at least one of which involves a more seasoned player like I or Baris) you become pretty experienced.

The game altogether: is very interesting IMHO.

AI: for a new player it is interesting, but after a while it becomes easy to defeat it.

Other players: not going to lie, there are not too many. I would like to play more games but as of now found enough opponents for only 2 games.

I saw some YouTubes on RUS Gold and it does look very interesting. I'm planning on buying.

RUS Gold appears to be on a smaller scale compared to another game that's caught my eye, 'To End All Wars'. I figure I can play RUS to find out how much I like the system and if I do want to try out TEAW I'll have a head start on the learning curve with my experience with RUS. Think that would be true?

[Thanks for all the comments on the thread BTW]

Durk

Sat Aug 01, 2015 12:26 am

RUS Gold is smaller in scope than End All Wars at the grand campaign level. However, both games have shorter scenarios which are smaller in scope and more focused in play. They are both excellent games, but it sounds to me like you have made a sensible plan.

ERISS
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:16 am

JayR wrote:RUS Gold appears to be on a smaller scale compared to another game that's caught my eye, 'To End All Wars'.

RUS Platinum will be a greater scale to be able to spread a whole world revolution! :nuts:
We know you'll be the next dev'! Won't you, please? ;)

to try out TEAW I'll have a head start on the learning curve with my experience with RUS.

Sure, almost all concepts are the same, and most of how they are treated are almost the same.

Owl
Major

Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:41 pm

As for finding players, some of us are waiting for the patch to come out I suppose.

Orel
Brigadier General

Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:07 pm

JayR wrote:I saw some YouTubes on RUS Gold and it does look very interesting. I'm planning on buying.

RUS Gold appears to be on a smaller scale compared to another game that's caught my eye, 'To End All Wars'. I figure I can play RUS to find out how much I like the system and if I do want to try out TEAW I'll have a head start on the learning curve with my experience with RUS. Think that would be true?

[Thanks for all the comments on the thread BTW]

I always thought to myself that RUS was a "prototype" of a WWI game. I did give a try to TEAW, the mechanics are quite similar from my understanding, but I cannot say I liked it as much as RUS. Can't say much more as I did not really get into it.
For united Russia!

Stauffenberg
General

Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:12 pm

Having played AACW & AACW2 extensively I was pretty much able to jump right into RUS right away--albeit with a copy of W. Bruce Lincoln's Red Victory: A History Of The Russian Civil War, 1918-1921 in hand to cram some history while playing in order to throw some light on a subject I was pretty sketchy about.

I've played out a few of the smaller scenarios and have worked through the campaign game to July 1920. Overall I think this is destined to be a classic--if their ACW study is the tour de force in gaming that conflict, I doubt that RUS can be surpassed in it's treatment of the Russian Civil War. The historical detail and chrome is grognard catnip, the map is superb, and the scale nicely has individual armies and corps battling over critical rail nodes, whether occupied by a major city or not. There is rarely any sort of WW I type of continuous front. As the Reds you will be fighting off the incursions of a large host of dysfunctional White allies, and on all points of the compass. Like the Confederates, the Whites have far better generals; however they will end up discovering that quantity (of Red troops) has a quality of its own.

I played the Western Whites and it starts out deceptively simple. By the time I was well into 1919 it had become clear that the effective use of replacements, new levies and allocation of resources, is critical. It gets complex because your base pool has to be shared by your main White armies in the south, the Cossacks there, Whites in the Baltic, Whites up north in Murmansk as well as Brits, French and Americans to a lesser extent. As well, you get very few brigade options and end up micromanaging elements to put together divisions for the most part and the work gets intense when you are well into it as you are raising literally hundreds of rgts to form divisions. Perhaps a future patch could streamline this as a thought. I was also surprised to see that even militia rgts cannot be put together as a 2-element unit as they can in AACW2. My only other criticism is the same with AACW: The list of events in a tiny font that is someone awkward to use. I would love to see that with an option to view it (or even print it) as a doc file.

All in all a superb study of the Russian Civil War and I imagine future patches will make it even better. :winner:

Baris
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue Aug 04, 2015 3:07 pm

During the beta and in practical pbem testing stage it was discussed alot about the ideal number of brigade size units that should be in construction pool for game balance simulating the conflict. I think game does a good job in relatively abstracted OOB structure and numbers. As it is mentioned it is a grognard game and I can add to that I’m having so much fun managing Reds in our 3 player pbem game now. Organizing&training Red guards and creating an army with front commanders, decision for priority of fronts is more time consuming and rewarding especially if intended to play at max competitive level.

Stauffenberg
General

Tue Aug 04, 2015 3:24 pm

That's interesting to know and my criticism was pretty minor really. As I said, I think the game system inherited from AACW really seems to depict the situation well. A little extra micromanagement in putting your force together is neither here nor there given the scale of this beast. I'm truly enjoying this.

One question that occured to me: there must have been battles that saw armoured trains blazing away at each other; likewise, there must be some sort of "Fighting Trains" Osprey book out there or something like it.

Baris
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:36 pm

For armored trains I guess it is easy to forget them in a stack where they need to MTSG with a friendly corps in adjacent region. It is safer they are not used in region with potential partizan activity. With easier territorial connexion to north trains have a good use there I think. But mainly trains are for ammunition capacity especially for the Whites. The more they advance to bolshevik territory they will get depleted. On the other hand to limit desertion or lock Red player can build commissaire, cheka units in the same region at the same time with regular units combined in one stack.

andatiep

Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:40 pm

Stauffenberg wrote:My only other criticism is the same with AACW: The list of events in a tiny font that is someone awkward to use. I would love to see that with an option to view it (or even print it) as a doc file.

This tiny fonts that couldn't be zoomed are a common AGE engine and graphics works we couldn't afford us to improve. But if you want a document printable version of the events and options, just check in your following game repository : .../Revolution Under Siege Gold/Docs
you will find the Game Events Chronology.pdf (also available only in French).

ERISS
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:16 pm

Stauffenberg wrote: My only other criticism is the The list of events in a tiny font that is someone awkward to use. I would love to see that with an option to view it (or even print it) as a doc file.

Did you try to run the game in a smaller resolution (I do)?
or you can edit the font file (bold or increase) (I did decrease for my big DPI).

H Gilmer3
AGEod Grognard

Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:30 am

I bought RUS Gold sight unseen. I have not played it much, but I plan on doing a Let's Play on youtube of it, unless Thirty Years' War comes out first, and then that will be my next Let's Play.

I am currently doing one of Rise of Prussia. I like doing AARs and Let's Plays of the more obscure titles of Ageod, because not as much competition!!!
To End All Wars AAR in the War Room. Join us as we laugh, we cry, we drink beer, and we joke on how badly I play......

http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?36936-To-End-All-Wars-AAR-Western-Entente-against-the-AI-of-Central-Powers!

andatiep

Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:12 pm

H Gilmer3 wrote:I plan on doing a Let's Play on youtube of it

Great project :D .

Stauffenberg
General

Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:40 pm

ERISS wrote:Did you try to run the game in a smaller resolution (I do)?
or you can edit the font file (bold or increase) (I did decrease for my big DPI).

I did and got some slight improvements. As I said it's a relatively minor issue, but I gather it's not an easy fix development wise.

Stauffenberg
General

Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:44 pm

andatiep wrote:This tiny fonts that couldn't be zoomed are a common AGE engine and graphics works we couldn't afford us to improve. But if you want a document printable version of the events and options, just check in your following game repository : .../Revolution Under Siege Gold/Docs
you will find the Game Events Chronology.pdf (also available only in French).

Yes I printed that up straight off and it's a great asset for an historical chrome addict like myself. :sherlock:

Return to “Revolution Under Siege”