Egg Bub
Major

How long should an Entente turn one take?

Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:48 pm

All in the title.

Random
AGEod Veteran

Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:57 pm

How long is a piece of rope?

Sorry without context there is no answer. Early in the game when there is lots of movement, a turn can take some time particularly if you have the "Movement on Map" slider set towards the left (Slower). Later when there is less movement the turn may cycle faster but the combats may take longer as the battles take added phases to complete. I find that turn resolution slows down after a couple of turns and so will generally save, exit and restart after every second or third turn.

Context is everything, without it the only answer to the title question is "Until it's done".

-C

Egg Bub
Major

Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:06 pm

Random wrote:How long is a piece of rope?

Sorry without context there is no answer. Early in the game when there is lots of movement, a turn can take some time particularly if you have the "Movement on Map" slider set towards the left (Slower). Later when there is less movement the turn may cycle faster but the combats may take longer as the battles take added phases to complete. I find that turn resolution slows down after a couple of turns and so will generally save, exit and restart after every second or third turn.

Context is everything, without it the only answer to the title question is "Until it's done".

-C

I realize now that my question sounded facetious at best. So I shall explain myself a bit better.

Since I bought the game I have spent at least 30 hours playing the battle scenarios, but as of yet I have not taken the plunge and got into a grand campaign, largely due to fear of "messing it all up". In order to coerce myself into sitting down and getting stuck in I really want to allocate a certain amount of time and set realistic objectives which I can achieve. Right now, I'm not sure how long I can expect to require for turn one and as a result I just spend more time practising with the battle scenarios.

I understand that my question still does not have a "right" answer, but it would nevertheless be handy or at the very least appreciated if I could hear from others how long they personally took to complete turn one of the grand campaign.

P.S. Sorry if this sounds pathetic. :neener:

Random
AGEod Veteran

Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:45 pm

Not pathetic at all and I appreciate getting more data.

There's a lot to do in a turn, particularly the first turn of the Grand Campaign. You can speed things up by moving the "Movement on Map" slider (found in the Options menu) to the right and playing WEGO rather than Army by Army, the latter slows the execution in time but since you're usually busy it tends to pass rather quickly on most turns. That said, I prefer WEGO but many solo players prefer Army by Army. The only way to tell which you might prefer is to try both.

I would probably budget 20-30 minutes for Turn-1 and plan on 40-60 minutes for the initial two August turns. This includes the warplans selection and initial two rounds of diplomacy phases.

Like most AGEOD games, the save routine is pretty effective but I would suggest saving at the start of a phase and playing "Autosave ON". I take saves at the start of the military phase (using _Mil as a suffix onto the automatically generated date name) and this adds to the time a turn takes to execute.

Another variable is time taken absorbing the situation and planning ahead. Later in the game some consideration should go into Grand Offensives and naval operations. Figuring where to draw troops from to garrison a colony in revolt (or deciding to eat the NW loss and hope that you can restore order in the next Interphase) can take some time. The game is complex and it is easy to miss things or omit an important action trying to rush a turn to completion.

I have some Entente house rules in the Grand Campaign:

1. No research starts until the Jan-Feb 1915 turn;

2. No turn do-overs (unless the game locks up or crashes, which occasionally happens);

3. Maintain a continuous front with no more than single-area gaps between units.

4. German colonies in Africa are a military priority - always.

5. No amphibious operations against the German Baltic or Austrian Adriatic coasts. Amphibious operations in the Black Sea or against the Turks are fine.

6. No strategic bombing until the AI does so or until 1918, whichever come first. (The effects of strategic bombing are usually very minor and carry no political baggage).

7. Three Corps from the start of the game and one fighter unit (starting in 1917) must remain on the British Isles as garrison.

Good Luck, hope this helps.

-C

Egg Bub
Major

Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:02 pm

Random wrote:Not pathetic at all and I appreciate getting more data.

There's a lot to do in a turn, particularly the first turn of the Grand Campaign. You can speed things up by moving the "Movement on Map" slider (found in the Options menu) to the right and playing WEGO rather than Army by Army, the latter slows the execution in time but since you're usually busy it tends to pass rather quickly on most turns. That said, I prefer WEGO but many solo players prefer Army by Army. The only way to tell which you might prefer is to try both.

I would probably budget 20-30 minutes for Turn-1 and plan on 40-60 minutes for the initial two August turns. This includes the warplans selection and initial two rounds of diplomacy phases.

Like most AGEOD games, the save routine is pretty effective but I would suggest saving at the start of a phase and playing "Autosave ON". I take saves at the start of the military phase (using _Mil as a suffix onto the automatically generated date name) and this adds to the time a turn takes to execute.

Another variable is time taken absorbing the situation and planning ahead. Later in the game some consideration should go into Grand Offensives and naval operations. Figuring where to draw troops from to garrison a colony in revolt (or deciding to eat the NW loss and hope that you can restore order in the next Interphase) can take some time. The game is complex and it is easy to miss things or omit an important action trying to rush a turn to completion.

I have some Entente house rules in the Grand Campaign:

1. No research starts until the Jan-Feb 1915 turn;

2. No turn do-overs (unless the game locks up or crashes, which occasionally happens);

3. Maintain a continuous front with no more than single-area gaps between units.

4. German colonies in Africa are a military priority - always.

5. No amphibious operations against the German Baltic or Austrian Adriatic coasts. Amphibious operations in the Black Sea or against the Turks are fine.

6. No strategic bombing until the AI does so or until 1918, whichever come first. (The effects of strategic bombing are usually very minor and carry no political baggage).

7. Three Corps from the start of the game and one fighter unit (starting in 1917) must remain on the British Isles as garrison.

Good Luck, hope this helps.

-C

Very useful post. Many thanks!

Return to “WW1 : La Grande Guerre 14-18”