ru_disa
Private

What game next?

Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:29 pm

First of all, I apologize if this is not the appropriate forum for this kind of post, but I couldn't figure out where elst to post it...

So, I'm a recent Ageod convert and I must say that I'm loving this engine. I currently own RUS Gold and AJE. So my question is: what game should I buy next? The game I find the most interesting at the moment is Birth of America 2. This is an old game, though; is it considered obsolete at this point, or is it still worth getting?
Also, in your opinion, is there any "must have" DLC/expansion for AJE?

Thanks!

Philippe
AGEod Veteran

Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:40 pm

I wouldn't call WIA obsolete as much as a classic.

Carnium

Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:37 pm

WiA is a bit of a forgotten gem. Probably the best game to start the AGEOD "adventure" i.e. to learn the basic and also go into advanced mode. It has TONS of scenarios and campaigns. From a tinny ones to huge ones like French and Indian Wars, American Revolution and War of 1815.
Highly recommendable!

After this one you can choose whatever you want. Espana 1936, Rise of Prussia Gold to the new ones like Civil War 2 and To End All Wars.

ru_disa
Private

Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:52 pm

RoP is another game I was keeping my eyes on. How would you say it differs from WiA?

After playing both RUS and AJE, I think I have a decent basic knowledge of the engine. Do you think I should switch directly to the latest games (ACW2 and TEAW) instead? I prefer the settings of some of the older games, but do you think I'm going to miss on some advanced features that were introduced in later games?

veb_yw
Private

Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:19 am

If you are interested in American history, Civil War 2 without a doubt!

Durk

Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:46 pm

ru_disa wrote:RoP is another game I was keeping my eyes on. How would you say it differs from WiA?

After playing both RUS and AJE, I think I have a decent basic knowledge of the engine. Do you think I should switch directly to the latest games (ACW2 and TEAW) instead? I prefer the settings of some of the older games, but do you think I'm going to miss on some advanced features that were introduced in later games?

ROP is similar to RUS in having Armies/Corps/Division. WIA is similar to AJE in that leaders attach at the stack level with organizational structure. I am really an addict of all these games, but WIA remains my favorite. It is complex, but unit density and management are direct. Supply is also an interesting challenge. So much different than the other games.

To me, one of the greatest, most enjoyable features of the newest games, CW2 and EAW, is the leader activation feature called veteran activation. Leader activation is determine only after all moves are planned. It is such a great feature to put you in the position where you really are relying upon leaders to do what was planned, but the leader has his own whims and quirks, ignoring the great plans you have plotted.

ru_disa
Private

Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:59 pm

Thanks for the replies! For now, I think I'll finish my RUS campaign and they play some ROP (generously donated by Carnium!)

After that... the possibilities are endless. I find the new "veteran activation" rule really interesting... WIA has an interesting historical setting, and there is the new Napoleon game coming. Also, there are so many expansions for AJE!

H Gilmer3
AGEod Grognard

Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:33 am

If you're looking for any hint of action on Rise of Prussia, Narwhal, Loki, Baris and others have done some fascinating AARs of it, and I am currently doing a Let's Play of Rise of Prussia under the name of Gilmer 9999 on youtube.
To End All Wars AAR in the War Room. Join us as we laugh, we cry, we drink beer, and we joke on how badly I play......

http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?36936-To-End-All-Wars-AAR-Western-Entente-against-the-AI-of-Central-Powers!

BBBD316
Lieutenant

Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:11 am

Personally I do prefer the newer games as I find them easier to understand.

However I have gone from CW2, AJE, ROP, TEAW, TYW Beta, RUS. I just but them as they get released on steam.

Also PBEMs are the best way to learn and get into the game, I was lost with CW2 till someone took me through a slow learning PBEM and it all just clicked.

ru_disa
Private

Wed May 25, 2016 2:39 pm

Sorry for resurrecting this thread. I just wanted to say that I'm finally deep into my Rise of Prussia Gold campaign... and it's an absolutely amazing game! The amount of work that went into giving the player the feeling of warfare in this historical period is astonishing. Between family and work, time is short... But as soon as I'm done with this, I think I'll jump right into Thirty Years War!

Cheers and once again thanks to Carnium for the donation!

Return to “Revolution Under Siege”