Lindi
General

futur dlc or not?

Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:47 pm

simple question and all in the name of topic :)

BBBD316
Lieutenant

Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:37 am

We already have a Eastern theatre, Western theatre, Balkans campaign, Ottoman Campaign.

What in particular would you suggest for another DLC? I wouldn't mind a PBEM DLC in which the various nations were separated so that you can have an UK player, French player, etc. But that would probably take far too much work to change it all around.

CFF
Lieutenant

Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:23 pm

i dont have the knowlodge u guys have about history, but i would love to see one more dlc to this GREATE GAME! :)

BBBD316
Lieutenant

Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:05 am

Well one thing I thought about would be new war plans, perhaps even war plans for minors that join. So once they hit 100% you get to choose a plan to enable you to position your troops.

Would be really good for both Italy & the OE.

CFF
Lieutenant

Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:04 pm

BBBD316 wrote:Well one thing I thought about would be new war plans, perhaps even war plans for minors that join. So once they hit 100% you get to choose a plan to enable you to position your troops.

Would be really good for both Italy & the OE.

love the idea, would make the game even better!

Byrd
Lieutenant

Wed Jun 24, 2015 3:07 pm

Above anything, I'd like an updated Grand Campaign. I don't much care for the spare Scenarios, but I do care for some of the changes of the 1916 campaign for example. I'd like to see those incorporated.

I'd also pay for a dlc that basically is a big patch (like for Close Combat games and such) Tackling some of the Major issues of the gaming. I do like the engine and I think it could be a Basis for further modern warfare.

CFF
Lieutenant

Wed Jun 24, 2015 5:15 pm

Byrd wrote:Above anything, I'd like an updated Grand Campaign. I don't much care for the spare Scenarios, but I do care for some of the changes of the 1916 campaign for example. I'd like to see those incorporated.

I'd also pay for a dlc that basically is a big patch (like for Close Combat games and such) Tackling some of the Major issues of the gaming. I do like the engine and I think it could be a Basis for further modern warfare.

yes that would be great too! i would pay to see the great campaing where u can select warplans much better!

Philippe
AGEod Veteran

Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:28 pm

To get a sense of what kind of scenarios should be included in the next DLC you would do well to look at Fury Software's Strategic Command WW I The Great War and Strategic Command WW I Breakthrough.

The key things that you want to throw a spotlight on with more detailed smaller scenarios are the battles of Verdun and the Somme, the Gallipoli campaign, and the offensives of 1918.

The German offensives of 1918 are really interesting because they were Germany's best hope of winning the war after 1914. The idea was to break the Entente before the addition of American manpower made the attrition war impossible to win. Even after the failure of the last German offensive 1918 is an interesting year: St. Mihiel and the forest of Argonne showcased the entry of the modern American army onto the world stage. So in addition to having individual scenarios for some of the western front battles, a scenario that covers the front from the start of the German offensives to the end of the war would be a good scenario (this is essential the 1918 board game from the now-defunct Command magazine).

A scenario for 1917 would also be very good. A lot of incredibly dramatic things happened that year in different parts of the war, and having to cope with losing Russia to revolution on the Eastern front and the French army to mutiny on the Western front would make for an exciting situation. And towards the end of the year you get to unleash the British secret weapon at the battle of Cambrai, only to discover that any gadget you might come up with is a lot less effective than proper infantry tactics.

BBBD316
Lieutenant

Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:27 am

I wouldn't be against such a DLC Philippe, however I think like most I simply play the GC. Even though I have the CW2 and TEAW DLC.

Byrd
Lieutenant

Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:11 am

Exactly. And I guess that goes for most People. That's why the GC Needs a make-over.

Baris
AGEod Guard of Honor

Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:05 pm

I believe with 'Strategic Command WW1' smaller scale of units some scenarios other than GC are ok to play in that game. Previously bought Breakthrough expansion just to look at Russian civil war scenario , it is fine to play but not have quality nor comprehensive as RUS Gold.

CFF
Lieutenant

Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:36 pm

IF the dlc could have the GC much better and verdun and 1918 then i would follow in love with POKUS lol.JUST KIDING!

Shri

Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:11 am

More than 1918, 1915 dlc will be welcome by PBEM players, as the initial losses are taken and the field is set. Most Historical setting.
Rascals, would you live forever? - Frederick the Great.

CFF
Lieutenant

Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:22 pm

Shri wrote:More than 1918, 1915 dlc will be welcome by PBEM players, as the initial losses are taken and the field is set. Most Historical setting.

ok, better GC, verdun, 1915,1918, now we have one AMAZING dlc!

HunterICX
Corporal

Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:20 pm

I would like to see a scenarios covering the events leading to world war 1 like the Balkan Wars for example and the Italo-Turkish War.

Philippe
AGEod Veteran

Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:35 pm

Baris wrote:I believe with 'Strategic Command WW1' smaller scale of units some scenarios other than GC are ok to play in that game. Previously bought Breakthrough expansion just to look at Russian civil war scenario , it is fine to play but not have quality nor comprehensive as RUS Gold.

The thing about the Strategic Command games is that you have to realize that its fans and to certain extent its designers have been fairly indiscriminate about where the game engine gets applied.

I don't think the engine works at all well for the smallest scale, and once you are outside the limits of what it was designed to handle, the results are less than optimal.

I can't speak with authority about their Russian Civil War scenario because I've never bothered trying to play it. I've always assumed that political confilict is something that the game wouldn't represent very well.

The game shines in the big scenarios (e.g. Call to Arms) which have corps level maneuvering, and even works at the division level in certain restricted situations (like the 1918 scenarios).

What the game does a poor job of showing is the mechanics of interaction of fleets. The game engine forces you to do unrealistic things (anyone who's played the campaign games for Steam and Iron will know what I'm talking about). But oddly enough the big picture choices that you have to make about naval power feel fairly right, even though the way you act them out isn't.

I actually bought Commander the Great War before the two Strategic Command games. The eye candy factor and game engine polish of Commander is far superior, but Strategic Command does a much better job of showing what the war was like.

The acid test for any of these games, by the way, is to think about what is going on in the two JTS WW I battalion-level titles (France '14 and East Prussia '14) and compare what is shown in detail on the ground to how things get reduced and simplified at a larger level. The comparison can be made because some of the scenarios are quite large (though the battle of the Marne is so big that it had to be shown as five constituent battles as well as a an almost unplayable giant battle scenario covering the whole thing). It really makes you stop and think about how a more strategic-level game should represent the wheel through Belgium. But Tiller's games have an advantage in that, although they are IGOUGO rather than WEGO, the turns only represent a couple of hours of real time, so it all comes out in the wash.

Baris
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:56 am

Only a couple of years I started to appreciate JTS games. Both France and East Prussia are so mature (previous versions also well designed but game engine were more limited maybe) that I feel any game&small scenario tries to depict those conflicts would be very limited IMHO in comparison. Time to time I play pbem games (I even tried massive France 14 main scenario ! ) they are rich in content. For anyone mainly interested in military history through wargames, they are good choice.

Before Breakthrough published I have played 'Call to arms' pbem and unlike mentioned in those forums we were able to maintain static front till 1917. It was a good experience that I decided to get also Breakthrough for the WW1 scenario. Tactical placing artilery and entrenchments in grand strategy scale is very good. Stacking (one unit per region) feels like it is smaller scale operation.

Unfortunately I haven't looked at steam and iron.

CFF
Lieutenant

Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:24 pm

HunterICX wrote:I would like to see a scenarios covering the events leading to world war 1 like the Balkan Wars for example and the Italo-Turkish War.

and, better GC, verdun, 1915,1918, now we have one SUPER AMAZING dlc!

Lindi
General

Thu Jul 02, 2015 5:05 pm

BBBD316 wrote:We already have a Eastern theatre, Western theatre, Balkans campaign, Ottoman Campaign.

What in particular would you suggest for another DLC? I wouldn't mind a PBEM DLC in which the various nations were separated so that you can have an UK player, French player, etc. But that would probably take far too much work to change it all around.

Two Idea for me can love and not big big big work

1. All wars in 7 days turns.

2.Just for fun Hypothical scenario or/and new date begin. for exemple, a win by Germany and now Germany try a attaque on British with own navy and army + french and Austria fleet. Can be fun

HerrDan

Thu Jul 02, 2015 5:24 pm

I believe that a 7 days turn would be really, but really good idea.
"Das Glück hilft dem Kühnen."

German Empire PON 1880 AAR:http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?35152-German-Empire-not-quite-an-AAR

Tibetan Monk
Conscript

Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:20 pm

I hope we get atleast one more expansion and I'm also up for the 7 day turns.

Altaris

Sun Jul 05, 2015 2:29 pm

Check this post out on a mod coming out in the next few days. It's not official DLC, but it's a big overhaul of the grand campaign. It will be implementing 7-day turns, and using the ForceDateTo script to keep the winter months from dragging on forever (basically, there will be one 7-day turn in Dec/Jan/Feb/Mar and only two 7-day turns in Oct/Nov/Apr, the rest of the months will have typical four 7-day turns - this ultimately leads to 7-day turns with only 30 turns per year, which isn't a huge increase over the 24 turns per year in vanilla).

http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?39807-To-End-All-Wars-Mod-Ultimate-Enhancement-Mod&p=349886#post349886

marek1978
Colonel

Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:20 pm

What about Balkan wars ?

Simple, not much of a chance in mechanics

Carnium

Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:19 am

My personal wishes for a DLC are those:
- Balkan Wars: The map is already there and the OOB is not that hard to find either. The Operational Art of War III had both and were a really nice to play
- The 1918 Spring Offensive or Kaiserschlacht (Kaiser's Battle): German last desperate offensive to win the war.
- Hundred Days Offensive: the offensive that ended the war

steelwarrior77
Colonel

Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:54 pm

I just want a better grand campaign with mostly all the features of the Ultimate mod ;-D Maybe they can pay the modder ;-D

Return to “To End All Wars”