Pocus

Traffic Rule Explained

Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:48 pm

Hi gents,

Some of you would like more details on how the traffic rule works. You have been served!

Each day a stack is moving into a region, said region will accrues some 'Traffic Weight', TW hereafter. Some elements have a weight of 1: skirmishers, raiders and light vehicles. Some have a weight of 3: Medium artillery and above, medium vehicles and above, service elements (this is determined by their 'family').

When this increase is done, for a given day and region, it impacts all stacks on move by eating a way, slightly, on their 'Move Ratio', which is basically the speed of the unit. To determine how many % of MR is lost for a given day moving, take the TW of the region x TrafficRule /1000). At most, it can be 10% MR lost on a given day.

TrafficRule is the intensity of the rule. If you have set it to low, it's 5, if on Normal, it's 10 and if on severe, it's 15.

Let's take an example. You have 2 identical stacks made of 20 infantry elements, the region gets on each day they move: 2 x 20 x 2 = 80 TW.

So each stack loses each day: 80 x 10 /1000 = 0.8% MR. As you guess, there is a dice roll made, in this case a given stack has 80% chance of losing 1 MR%.

This don't seem a lot. But remember, TW accrues over time as stacks move into the region. Now it seems a lot? :) Don't worry, because TW 'dissipates' overtime, as heat if you want. It represents the capacity of the region transport network / infrastructures to absorb traffic.

After each stack has moved one day, all region gets some 'dissipation'. The calculation is split in 2 parts: the first one sum up all parameters allowing some dissipations. The second part takes what remain in TW and multiply it by 0.75. So TW, each day, is significantly reduced but can definitively augments when a lot of stacks move for a long time in a region. And foul weather or bad terrain being major culprits in lengthening movement time, the rule quite naturally will adapt to bad conditions. The same region in summer will have quite a different behavior in muddy weather.

For the numeric-oriented people, the current values are (these is how many TW are removed in the region each day):
traWildRecov_ : integer = 10;
traClearedRecov_ : integer = 25;
traDevelopRecov_ : integer = 50;
traCivilRecov_ : integer = 100;
traTrackRecov_ : integer = 10;
traRoadRecov_ : integer = 30;
traDRoadRecov_ : integer = 70;
traRailRecov_ : integer = 100;
traDRailRecov_ : integer = 150;
traDestRailRecov_ : integer = -50;
traPillageRecov_ : integer = -20;
traDepotRecov_ : integer = 50;
traKeepCoeffRecov_ : integer = 75; // After recovery, the remaining TW points are time this % (so a fraction dissipate for free each turn, the more remaining, the more dissipate)
traMRPercThousand_ : integer = 5; // each traffic weight makes a % move ratio loss equals to this value/1000 time rulTraffic
// i.e rulTraffic = 1 ; Traffic Weight = 240 ; traMRPercH = 5 :=> 1 * 240 * 5/1000 = 1.2 % loss
traMaxMRPercLoss_ : integer = 10; // can't lose more than 10% MR on a single day, also is hard coded that traffic can't reduce speed by more than two third.

An important note: because of the game turn structure, at day 0, all MR penalty is removed from all stacks. So in effect a stack move faster at the start of the turn than at the end.

Hope it helps, and no doubt will trigger questions!

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Gray Fox
AGEod Guard of Honor

Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:11 pm

Thanks!

So this affects all unit movement into a region, to include MTSG?

If my TW exceeds 100%, does the region take more than 1% MR?

It two stacks use different road networks moving into a region, one north to south and the other east to west, will this make any difference?

Am I right in saying that one big stack would seem to cause less TW than the two stacks in your post?

I see the distinction between Road and Rail recovery. What is "DRoad" and "DRail" recovery?

I see the distinctions for Wild/Cleared/Developed/Civil regions. Does a "Rich" region get a boost?

What is your favorite color?
I'm the 51st shade of gray. Eat, pray, Charge!

1stvermont
Major

Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:17 pm

Nice,thanks, love it adds realism.
"How do you like this are coming back into the union"
Confederate solider to Pennsylvanian citizen before Gettysburg

"No way sherman will go to hell, he would outflank the devil and get past havens guard"
Southern solider about northern General Sherman

"Angels went to receive his body from his grave but he was not there, they left very disappointed but upon return to haven, found he had outflanked them and was already there".
Northern newspaper about the death of Stonewall Jackson

Cardinal Ape
General of the Army

Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:19 pm

Thanks for explaining the rule. I might give it a try now that I know what it does...

For CW2, does a civil region mean a rich region (80+ development points?)

Is the DRoad and DRail for developed regions? Meaning that roads in regions with a high level of development recover faster than roads in less developed regions? Is the cutoff 60+ development?

For TW removal, do all those factors add together? Does a cleared (25) railroad (100) that is pillaged (-20) with a depot (50) have a TW removal of 155?

Pocus

Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:09 am

Gray Fox wrote:Thanks!

So this affects all unit movement into a region, to include MTSG?

If my TW exceeds 100%, does the region take more than 1% MR?

It two stacks use different road networks moving into a region, one north to south and the other east to west, will this make any difference?

Am I right in saying that one big stack would seem to cause less TW than the two stacks in your post?

I see the distinction between Road and Rail recovery. What is "DRoad" and "DRail" recovery?

I see the distinctions for Wild/Cleared/Developed/Civil regions. Does a "Rich" region get a boost?

What is your favorite color?

Hi,

Yes, it affects everyone.
TW is a value, not a percentage. If above 100, you can lose more than 1% MR at once.
There is no difference and simulation in different networks, the region is a single entity here.
Two stacks weighting the same weight than a single stack do the same.
DRoad is directional road, it is the biggest one but there is none in CW2. DRail is double railroad, that's only for Pride of Nations.
Civilized = Rich
Red

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Pocus

Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:10 am

Cardinal Ape wrote:Thanks for explaining the rule. I might give it a try now that I know what it does...

For CW2, does a civil region mean a rich region (80+ development points?)

Is the DRoad and DRail for developed regions? Meaning that roads in regions with a high level of development recover faster than roads in less developed regions? Is the cutoff 60+ development?

For TW removal, do all those factors add together? Does a cleared (25) railroad (100) that is pillaged (-20) with a depot (50) have a TW removal of 155?

Hi,
Civilized = Rich = 80+
'D' prefix is not for CW2, it means either directional or double.
Yes, you sum up factors, you calculation is correct.

Gray Fox
AGEod Guard of Honor

Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:03 pm

[color="#FF0000"]Thank you very much![/color]
I'm the 51st shade of gray. Eat, pray, Charge!

BigDuke66
General

Thu Sep 08, 2016 5:19 am

It was mentioned that:
Low is 5
Normal is 10
Severe is 15

What settings are there for CW2?
Ii ask because we have 5 positions in CW2 for the cursor and I guess the most left is Off but what values do the other 4 use?
"Spread word to every slave, that even the mighty republic bleeds when struck!"
Join the Napoleonic Wargame Club
Join the American Civil War Game Club
Join the The Blitz Wargaming Club

wrlertola
Corporal

Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:27 pm

Pocus wrote:Hi,

Red

Are you sure its not blue?

Return to “General discussions”