John Sedgwick
Colonel

McClellan not given command of the AotP?

Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:43 pm

Why isn't George McClellan put in command of the Army of the Potomac by event as he was in AACW? The event appears to be more or less the same, except that he is not automatically promoted, and of course there is no incentive to do so manually. Is this WAD? I am using the latest public beta, 1.05 RC9.
"I'm ashamed of you, dodging that way. They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance."ImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImage

plasticpanzers
Corporal

Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:56 pm

I thought that odd too. He is a very useless officer overall, worse at the beginning than McDowell. No reason to send him to the Army of the
Potomac. His real task of training not only new troops but organizing appears untapped. He is so poor its hard to get him into a battle to try
and improve him a bit with some small victories such as the one that led to his appointment with the AotP. Lee asked who was the best of the
Union generals he faced and he said "McClellan". I think not so much for his aggressiveness but his will not to be truly defeated

clandini5
Corporal

Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:10 am

I believe this was changed even back in AACW, due to the fact that McClellan was given command for the victories in West Virginia but also for the defeat of the Army of Northern Virginia in the First Battle of Bull Run. I think this was changed as it was possible that McDowall could have won the battle, or that it might have been a draw, or not fought at all, any one of which would have negated the move towards McClellan

Rod Smart
Colonel

Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:30 pm

I've found that if I move McClellan around and fight even a minor battle, it activates all those prompts and events.
If I leave him alone in Cincinnati and move troops there for him to train, its possible that nothing at all happens (other than his removal in '64).

-------------------------------

I don't know why he should automatically be promoted. As clandini says, what if he lost in West Virginia and McDowell won at Bull Run?

Captain_Orso

Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:55 pm

There are a number of events which manipulate McClellan, but non of them actually evaluate his performance, and some of them do not currently work.

In Early October '61, an event fires which checks if the Union has take Manassas. This event dissolves the Northeastern Virginia Army, removes whichever models of McDowell and McClellan are in play and creates a stack named "Army of the Potomac" with ***McDowell and the ***McClellan model with Polit. 75, which should convince the player to create an army with McClellan or face dire consequences from the political penalty of putting McDowell in charge of the AoP. However, this event will always fail the way it is currently written. I've already asked Pocus if this is WAD.

In Late October '61, if the Union still does not control Manassas, McClellan is made CiC of the Army, his model is replaced with the one with Polit. level 100.

In Early March '62 if is CiC will be replaced again with a model with Polit. level 50.

In Early November '62, if he is at Polit. level 50 he will be demoted from CiC an replaced with a model with Polit. level 25.

In '64 he will be removed from the game because he is campaigning for the presidency.

None of these events actually evaluate McClellan's performance in anyway.

BigDuke66
General

Re: McClellan not given command of the AotP?

Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:46 am

Would be nice if that event is fixed, especially when playing with the house rule to let McClellan lead the AotP it's a hassle to replace McDowell.
"Spread word to every slave, that even the mighty republic bleeds when struck!"
Join the Napoleonic Wargame Club
Join the American Civil War Game Club
Join the The Blitz Wargaming Club

Bamilus
Private

Re: McClellan not given command of the AotP?

Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:14 pm

Does anyone have a fix for these events or can give me the event ID to fiddle with the code? I see a million events pop-up regarding AOTP but none of them ever do anything, regardless of where McClellan is or if hes won a battle.

Return to “Civil War II”