Narwhal

Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:52 pm

James D Burns wrote:Ahem... what if Napoleon wins his Waterloo in game?

I would think/hope there is room to extend the game another 2-3 years to cover an end game that sees the entire world arise in a huge coalition that puts the Battle of Nations OOB to shame to finally defeat Napoleon should he win his first big battle after returning from exile. It would be rather demoralizing to game out 10 years only to see the game end in sudden death victory just because Napoleon wins at Waterloo. I doubt the world would have simply packed up and gone home had such an event occurred historically.

Jim

I don't think Napoleon Reboot [the Hundred Days] will be part of the Great Campaign. :)

elxaime
General

Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:32 pm

James D Burns wrote:Ahem... what if Napoleon wins his Waterloo in game?

I would think/hope there is room to extend the game another 2-3 years to cover an end game that sees the entire world arise in a huge coalition that puts the Battle of Nations OOB to shame to finally defeat Napoleon should he win his first big battle after returning from exile. It would be rather demoralizing to game out 10 years only to see the game end in sudden death victory just because Napoleon wins at Waterloo. I doubt the world would have simply packed up and gone home had such an event occurred historically.

Jim

Fascinating what-if. However some thoughts on that -

- the anti-Napoleon Coalition in 1815 was massive enough to likely submerge the Emperor even if he won; Napoleon had won some stunning victories in 1814 (albeit smaller scale) without changing the basic dynamic
- the British and Prussians would probably not have been knocked out of the war by defeat, especially given the likely Pyrrhic nature that victory would take for Napoleon (loss of irreplaceable veterans)
- in addition to the foreign invaders, Napoleon had another serious revolt emerging in Vendee
- finally, the Emperor's government and armies in 1815 were much brittler due to the political environment (as the defeat at Waterloo showed, all it took was one big loss to tumble him again)

That makes me think an end of 1815 deadline is reasonable. You would need to hit a straight flush of things going near-perfect for Napoleon for him to make it another year. Is it possible? Yes, but it would be a valid design decision to draw the line here.

BBBD316
Lieutenant

Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:56 am

Well also if the 100 days are not a scenario then the French would either have been taken out by the player or as the player not in the same position.

An event if Napoleon loses enough that France surrenders and goes back to the Bourbons, then having a 100 days event would be quite exciting though.

Narwhal

Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:54 am

BBBD316 wrote:Well also if the 100 days are not a scenario then the French would either have been taken out by the player or as the player not in the same position.

An event if Napoleon loses enough that France surrenders and goes back to the Bourbons, then having a 100 days event would be quite exciting though.

Too dependant on the condition. The 100 days is a scenario material.

Field Marshal Hotzendorf
Captain

Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:54 pm

Any chance of getting a screen shot of the map anytime soon perhaps?

PhilThib

Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:36 am

[ATTACH]33134[/ATTACH]

Just ask. A small glimpse at Southern Germany, a common Napoleonic battlefield

Enjoy :coeurs:
Attachments
NGC Alpha Scrrenshot 1 Bavaria.jpg

Lindi
General

Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:45 pm

Good begin and lol for rail in this time xD

Fouche
Captain

Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:39 pm

Map looking good! :thumbsup:
"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
- Napoleon Bonaparte
:D

Field Marshal Hotzendorf
Captain

Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:00 pm

Excellent, thank you PhilThib! Looking great!

veji1
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:46 pm

Merci !

BigDuke66
General

Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:37 pm

Does it use the map from the European Map Project?
"Spread word to every slave, that even the mighty republic bleeds when struck!"
Join the Napoleonic Wargame Club
Join the American Civil War Game Club
Join the The Blitz Wargaming Club

James D Burns

Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:13 am

Any chance you can add some bold colored borders to help define national regions? The little flags are easily covered up by counters and I've always wished there were some color in the region borders to help the eye when trying to figure out what country owns a region.

Jim

Lindi
General

Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:39 am

James D Burns wrote:Any chance you can add some bold colored borders to help define national regions? The little flags are easily covered up by counters and I've always wished there were some color in the region borders to help the eye when trying to figure out what country owns a region.

Jim

For me I always use control militaire map filtre, is good.

PhilThib

Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:35 am

BigDuke66 wrote:Does it use the map from the European Map Project?

Yup, improved :cool:

PhilThib

Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:36 am

James D Burns wrote:Any chance you can add some bold colored borders to help define national regions? The little flags are easily covered up by counters and I've always wished there were some color in the region borders to help the eye when trying to figure out what country owns a region.

Jim

Active borders will be in. Also, the map is still unfinished, and a lot of info like big areas or theaters names, national borders and the like are still missing. As Lindi noted too, the military control filter is also quite helpful

veji1
AGEod Guard of Honor

Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:15 pm

I hope you will be able to implement "river crossing control" through control of some fortresses : The player controling Regensburg should be able to cross the Donau with considerably less penalty in case of battle. Same for Wurzburg and the Main (old Marienberg fortress and Main bridge),etc etc... It would really to me be a key feature because suddenly garrisonning key crossing cities / fortresses becomes an important choice in the game and can mean real hard choices : Do I leave those 15 000 soldiers to Garrison Regensburg, depriving myself of more than half a corps of troops for the battle, or do I leave a minimal garrison, but if the ennemy assaults and seizes Regensburg quickly, If have just left myself a massively open flank ? Had the french left a bigger garrison in Regensburg in April 1809, they might have crushed the Austrians who managed to escape before they had easily captured the bridges at Regensburg.

This to me is an important feature to make the map "matter" more and make it have more impact on game play, I really hope you can do this, even though the map doesn't represent how some cities and fortresses had the bridges INSIDE the walls of the city, key to securing them.

veji1
AGEod Guard of Honor

Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:52 pm

It looks on the map as if main roads will play an important role, maybe for speed of movement and supply ?

lecrop
Captain

Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:37 pm

Very nice map!

Smitzer52
Sergeant

Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:39 pm

If I am seeing right, you are using german name for river Moldau (czech Vltava-most famous czech river) and czech name for river Labe (german Elbe- most famous german river). Not that it´s wrong, but I never saw such placement. How european of you AGEOD. :)
"Best way to win a war is not to fight it"

Narwhal

Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:06 am

PhilThib wrote:Active borders will be in. Also, the map is still unfinished, and a lot of info like big areas or theaters names, national borders and the like are still missing. As Lindi noted too, the military control filter is also quite helpful

Active borders like "seeing the border by default" ? Lack of readibility of the map was one of the major reason I did not play NCP beyond 2 test games.

PhilThib

Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:52 pm

Smitzer52 wrote:If I am seeing right, you are using german name for river Moldau (czech Vltava-most famous czech river) and czech name for river Labe (german Elbe- most famous german river). Not that it´s wrong, but I never saw such placement. How european of you AGEOD. :)

Well, names changes depending on where they are...the Labe indeed becomes Elbe a bit more north (outside of screenshot)... similarly, Rhin and Rhein coexist....when I have doubt, the language used is that of the main empire/nation controlling the region (hence the Moldau)

Duke76
Corporal

Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:26 pm

Amazing! But that square counters :( ... any chance to have something more similar to RoP style?

Smitzer52
Sergeant

Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:14 pm

PhilThib wrote:Well, names changes depending on where they are...the Labe indeed becomes Elbe a bit more north (outside of screenshot)... similarly, Rhin and Rhein coexist....when I have doubt, the language used is that of the main empire/nation controlling the region (hence the Moldau)

Spot on, can´t wait for the rest of the map. :)
"Best way to win a war is not to fight it"

Pocus

Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:27 am

Counters will stay in this shape because square is much more practical for display purpose, but the final layout and look of them is not set yet.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Carnium

Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:04 pm

All the best to this new Napoleonic game that I am REALLY looking forward to play once it is finished.
The previous one was my "old" love, one of the AGEOD gems that did not get the attention it should have.
Instant buy when it hits the market for me :coeurs:

A few questions:
- will you link the 1812 war in America via some events too? That would be cool :)
- will (and how) French be able to create new duchies and incorporate its armies into its war machine? Same goes with the resources of such duchies.
- Napoleon was famous to establish his siblings to kings all over Europe. How will this be simulated or will be scripted?
- any chance for an expansion backwards aka ... Revolutionary wars? That would be extra sweet :w00t:

veji1
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:20 am

I hope we will get many of the nice features discussed in the NCP thread. For example in a grand campaign, a clever system of partial or total demobilisation with the use of cadres etc to maintain experience would be great.

Pocus

Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:55 am

There will be a special box for the US whee the British player will have to deploy for real military units. He will also be able to pull some out, if things turn bad on the continent, at the risk of losing the Madison war.

Revolutionary wars are considered, but because of large specific graphics needed, won't be done until the game is released and successful. Sorry about that, I would love to see the French revolutionary rabble, err army too! ;)

As for the finer details on duchies and Napoleon brothers, better ask PhilThib. This will probably be done by multi-choices options. Plus there will be a real diplomacy system.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

PhilThib

Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:03 am

Carnium wrote:- will (and how) French be able to create new duchies and incorporate its armies into its war machine? Same goes with the resources of such duchies.
- Napoleon was famous to establish his siblings to kings all over Europe. How will this be simulated or will be scripted?

Aside from the already commented part from Pocus, which I confirm, the whole "Satelitte" nation system will be there. Napoleon will be able, depending on its field victories and peace agreements, to create new nations from scrap (e.g. Rhine confederacy, Grand Duchy of Warsaw, etc...) and those new 'nations' will have a specific handling in the diplomatic system.

As for the Napoleonic 'Game of Thrones', it will be simulated in conjunction with the above and some events and options

Lindi
General

Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:46 pm

PhilThib wrote:Aside from the already commented part from Pocus, which I confirm, the whole "Satelitte" nation system will be there. Napoleon will be able, depending on its field victories and peace agreements, to create new nations from scrap (e.g. Rhine confederacy, Grand Duchy of Warsaw, etc...) and those new 'nations' will have a specific handling in the diplomatic system.

As for the Napoleonic 'Game of Thrones', it will be simulated in conjunction with the above and some events and options

French can control army of new nations ? :)

Shri

Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:28 pm

Awesome! Looks great!.

I have a few questions?

1. How will diplomacy which is one of the most trickiest things in that era be modded? As in - if Nappy wins wars/campaigns will a certain nation be more pro-Britain or more pro-neutral? Both cases happened depending on the size of victory/defeat etc.
Say Nelson's Fleet crushes the French, Spanish etc etc navies and successfully blockades, will nations swing to its alliance or will a French Land victory be more potent counter-swing?
2. How will the "inferior French line infantry(which basically forced Nappy to use Columns formations) but superior Guards units and total dominance of artillery in early years be showcased". (Grand Batteries) and also how will Russia be portrayed? Historically Russian Guards Corps and Russian Cossack Cavalry and Russian Artillery were the Best Infantry, Light Cavalry and Artillery but their main line Infantry, really was more like militia. So extreme experienced elite units, powerful light cavalry/scouts, Unicorns and plenty of Artillery but cannon fodder infantry.
3. How will the gradual decline of Nappy's prowess and consequently Austrian and Prussian slow re-birth post Jena and Austerlitz be shown?

P.S.: is the TEAW map going to used? That map is awesome. The screenshot looked a bit different, hence the question.
Rascals, would you live forever? - Frederick the Great.

Return to “Wars of Napoleon”