Pocus

Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:38 am

Sometime we need people to give us a missing portraits indeed!

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

helm123
Private

Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:28 pm

Again can't say how excited I am to see this is going to see the light of day. Now two AGEOD games fill in that blank that was once covered by board games I played a lot as a teenager. ACW2 is to me a fairly good computer representation of The Civil War by Victory Games and now this game is going to fill in for Avalon Hills War and Peace I hope.

Now if someone could just make two more games I'd be set. A operational level game that is similar to Avalon Hills Struggle of Nations and Avalon Hills Great Campaigns of the American Civil War. The DLC potential for both of these would be almost limitless.

giperforg
Private

Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:36 pm

I hope for some screens anytime soon!

Byrd
Lieutenant

Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:56 pm

A PBEM Server would be nice.

elxaime
General

Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:06 pm

Byrd wrote:A PBEM Server would be nice.

I hope the basic campaign scenario is set up for two players with a diplomacy mechanism to handle the composition of the coalitions. Getting large numbers of people involved to play each position always looks fine in theory, but in practice such games have a high attrition rate and the turns get slower and slower. You also get taken for some wild rides if you allow free a-historical diplomacy. I know some people like playing as if it was a game of Risk, but it seems awkward to see Russia building a huge fleet so they can sail off to invade Spain just because they can.

helm123
Private

Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:12 am

elxaime wrote:I hope the basic campaign scenario is set up for two players with a diplomacy mechanism to handle the composition of the coalitions. Getting large numbers of people involved to play each position always looks fine in theory, but in practice such games have a high attrition rate and the turns get slower and slower. You also get taken for some wild rides if you allow free a-historical diplomacy. I know some people like playing as it if was a game of Risk, but it seems awkward to see Russia building a huge fleet so they can sail off to invade Spain just because they can.

Basically I agree with you about the number of players and the difficulty of keeping a play group together. But I also hope that every nation/empires that made up to coalitions is playable by a human or can be set AI.

About the player deciding to build fleets and land an army in Spain. I would hope his rivals are watching and see that he has spent valuable resources on something that can be easily placed out of play in regards to protecting the homeland if needed.

Hegyytoportyan
Private

Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:44 pm

The leader's mortality was extremly high but the promotional rate (who was Ney, Davout, Desaix, Poniatowski (king for a day.... :thumbsup :) Marmont or Napoleon himself before the Napoleonic wars?) was very high too so I suggest that all of the generals can be promote except the died ones of course ;)

Smitzer52
Sergeant

Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:11 pm

About the map, what will be the scope of a game? It seems logical you are gonna use Europe + some colonies etc. and other states represented in the same fashion as in TEAW. Some countries like China, Japan, Afgahanistan could be removed all together.
"Best way to win a war is not to fight it"

marechalCAMBRONNE
Lieutenant

Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:19 pm

What I really looking forward to is a 100 days campaign that can evolve in case of a Napoléonic victory at waterloo (or Mont Saint Jean as the french named it)

Pocus

Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:46 am

This is a map of Europe, but 'larger Europe' in a sense, as it shows Egypt and beyond Moscow, if I remember the latest sketch from the artist. It does no mean we have the resources to make all scenarios possible on release, but it gives potential at least.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Peeking Duck?
Conscript

Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:05 pm

BBBD316 wrote:Well if you can make an updated version of L'Emperur (sp?) but with your excellent mechanics that would be awesome.

^This x 100!

I love the AGEOD games, but one of the most wonderful aspects of L'Empereur was that each time you approached a city its topography was reasonably correct, giving an added feeling of immersion. If there is to be a tactical element to this game please consider following Koei's lead in this respect :)

Smitzer52
Sergeant

Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:21 pm

Well Egypt on a map makes sense, considering Bonny´s adventure there. And if the Europe gets some more love it will be great.

I personally dislike the "off-map" boxes but take it like a necessary evil, in Napoleonic era the colonies are less important though (well ok, revolution here and there) so fingers crossed here.
"Best way to win a war is not to fight it"

czert2
Brigadier General

Sun Feb 15, 2015 5:01 pm

10 years.....hmmm, doest that mean 1805-15 ? i will love to try napoleans early carrer battles/campaigns, not only most famous ones :) .

Michael Hopcroft
Sergeant

Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:11 pm

As far as the interface goes, I like what you did with CWII as the screen is indeed a lot cleaner. The problem I have is that the map seems to scroll whenever I go to the Next Turn button. A hotkey to do the same thing would be an ideal backup.

Pocus

Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:21 am

This hotkey exists, CTRL-F9 will proceed to the next turn.

Lindi
General

Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:30 pm

Pocus wrote:This hotkey exists, CTRL-F9 will proceed to the next turn.

If you can do a small pdf for all game with all hotkey can be very fun :) and you need do that juste one time

ess1
Lieutenant Colonel

Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:04 am

+1 appreciated.

BigDuke66
General

Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:57 pm

If it spans full 10 years I really hope that it will get a good simulation of all the higher government mechanics, I think it must go way beyond what any AGEOD game provided till now.
Alone the diplomacy must be at least "excellent" to make all that possible what happened in history, not only gaining regions, think of what army invaded Russia and how Napoleon let the other powers "join" him for this ride.

Regarding the "abilities" that the various units should provide, I don't mind modeling these out but here one must see that over the years the armies/units often changed drastically, you surely won't see "incredible courage and endurance of the Russian infantry" in 1805, nor the Prussians kicking ass in 1806.
Not sure if the drastic changes in unit quality/ability should be made by some form of country modifiers or rather fill the database with the various(basically endless variants) unit types that will be triggered or not depending on the course of the game.
If Prussia isn't driven back in 1806/07 they won't reform their army at all and what capabilities will the Prussians have if going with Napoleon to Russia or later if the switch sides?

Personally I had hoped for a game that expands and details the various military campaigns more instead of doing a full 10 year run, alone the European map project that I hope will be used will make a big difference in these campaigns and will give Napoleons corps system a well deserved advantage and will make a more detailed depiction of the operational warfare than before, this alone would give the various military campaigns a much more improvement gameplay than before.
But if we now should see a Mini-PON or EU-Clone that covers Napoleon I fear that this will be much too complicated to cover that properly, would be something to aim for in a 3rd title.

Mentioning the map, with the new map turns should not be longer than week turns but I think even that is too long, CW2 used 15 day turns so why don't you go for 5 day turns that would be a length that should provide enough detail but still handle even the biggest battles like Leipzig in 1 turn.

The cry out for a better AI is always the same, with the complicated aim of this game I doubt any AI will be capable of being more than a sandbag, but that is OK as you can learn the game this way and when your don't go for a Human vs Human game, there is simply no better way of playing these games against a human opponent, and even if your doing turns very slow you will still find opponents when you look at the right spots.
"Spread word to every slave, that even the mighty republic bleeds when struck!"
Join the Napoleonic Wargame Club
Join the American Civil War Game Club
Join the The Blitz Wargaming Club

pablius
Sergeant

Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:34 am

It`s great this game is being made

As for suggestion, well, much of the appeal of the era resides at the tactical level, which is not included in AGEOD games, I felt that lacking in Napoleons Campaigns

But, the battle plan mechanic in CW2 brings some of that into play, maybe a more granular approach when big battles happen could be good, for example, attempt to deploy corps/stacks in a particular way with variable chances of success depending on the General stats, terrain, etc.

And a track record of regiments, with timelines, losses and casualties inflicted could add to flavor

Also, the concept of war supplies could be broken down into things like ammo, horses, food, etc. But maybe is beyond the scope of the game

BBBD316
Lieutenant

Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:56 am

I think the various changes in the complexity and power of the various units could be handled as per the TEAW technology level, but when beaten by a superior force perhaps you receive a bonus to your research to simulate learning in defeat.

I do think it will be hard to have 5 days turns for the full campaign as this would be extremely hard to keep a PBEM going.

gotrek
Corporal

Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:41 pm

I hope you'll keep the battle plan mechanic as this would seem really relevant in napoleonic warfare.Al so include very different plans for the opposing nations as revolutionary French didn't employ the same tactics as the british on the peninsula for example.

is it 1805 to 1815 or 1793 to 1815?

MarshalJean
Lieutenant

Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:28 pm

gotrek wrote:I hope you'll keep the battle plan mechanic as this would seem really relevant in napoleonic warfare.Al so include very different plans for the opposing nations as revolutionary French didn't employ the same tactics as the british on the peninsula for example.

is it 1805 to 1815 or 1793 to 1815?

Yes! This!

MJ

Pocus

Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:50 am

This will be most probably from 1805 to 1815. Revolutionary wars would stretch our resources too thin, on several points: additional graphics and research on uniforms, additional research on order of battle, extra scenarios (and balancing/testing) to the detriment of the grand campaign testing, which is already quite daunting, as there will be diplomacy and a 'game of powers' between France and Great Britain. Don't mistake us, we would really like to have this extra period included, but doing that on release my endanger the whole game.

deguerra
Major

Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:30 am

sounds like prime expansion material :)

Michael T
Sergeant

Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:48 pm

Will this game have multiplayer capability?

That is perhaps one player for every Nation? Or is it simply Pro French V Anti French?

I am an old EIA player. The best Napoleonic boardgame ever made.

Lindi
General

Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:12 am

Michael T wrote:Will this game have multiplayer capability?

That is perhaps one player for every Nation? Or is it simply Pro French V Anti French?

I am an old EIA player. The best Napoleonic boardgame ever made.

Not playeur for each minor State plz, do the playeur can total control this minor stat, or army.

Maybe for the game, the big country (not to much and not to small for me) :

British
French
Russia
Austria

and all other can control by Other playeur near Friend. Same Prussia with for exemple Austria take Prussia an do war to French but only with Prussia, can't not lose pv for Austria before enter to war. With thtat can do better economie for main country or support other playeur. (suede can take by french for defence home, with not lose pv for french only do better defence and maybe support by mony)

For me that can be good.

ess1
Lieutenant Colonel

Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:22 am

I would be very contented with major nations.

Michael T
Sergeant

Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:59 am

Let me clarify. Major Nations only.
France
Britain
Russia
Austria
Prussia
Spain
Turkey

Just like EIA

Field Marshal Hotzendorf
Captain

Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:27 am

Hello,

I understand that the end date would be 1815. Just curious if there will be a option to continue to play after that, even if no new events would happen? Thank you.

James D Burns

Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:56 pm

Pocus wrote:This will be most probably from 1805 to 1815.

Ahem... what if Napoleon wins his Waterloo in game?

I would think/hope there is room to extend the game another 2-3 years to cover an end game that sees the entire world arise in a huge coalition that puts the Battle of Nations OOB to shame to finally defeat Napoleon should he win his first big battle after returning from exile. It would be rather demoralizing to game out 10 years only to see the game end in sudden death victory just because Napoleon wins at Waterloo. I doubt the world would have simply packed up and gone home had such an event occurred historically.

Jim

Return to “Wars of Napoleon”