The Red Baron

Minor Fixes Needed for EE in 1.01

Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:22 am

Playing EE vs AI in 1.02. I noticed a couple of issues, which the devs can hopefully address for the next patch. To wit:

1. Russian Cossack cavalry units won't take replacements. I have my units set to G/G and placed in depots with plenty of light cavalry replacements available, but they won't rebuild strength. I had the same issue in the initial release version. By the time I had played through late 1915, many of my Cossack units were half strength even though I was swimming in replacements.

2. Russian general Vladimir Gorbatovskaya appears twice. He starts the game assigned to one of the armies (can't remember which at the moment) and also appeared in the first group of generals I unlocked.

3. I continue to see multiple, identical commit messages in the message log for the same corps/army, sometimes 3-4 in a row. Would MTSG cause this for each time a successful commit check is made? I did not notice the this in the initial release version.

4. During one of my initial turns, I sent the Russian 5th Army from Kowel towards Rawa Ruska (in A-H territory) via rail. The 5th Army finished the turn in Zloczow after MTSG for a battle there. Zloczow is 2 regions distant to the east of Rawa Ruska. I wasn't sure how this could happen because no friendly corps stood adjacent to the destination region of Rawa Ruska, so I re-ran the turn with the "Evade Combat" special order engaged but suffered the same result a second time. I call this the "magic of teleportation" but don't understand how it could happen.

ajarnlance
General of the Army

Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:24 am

The Red Baron wrote:4. During one of my initial turns, I sent the Russian 5th Army from Kowel towards Rawa Ruska (in A-H territory) via rail. The 5th Army finished the turn in Zloczow after MTSG for a battle there. Zloczow is 2 regions distant to the east of Rawa Ruska. I wasn't sure how this could happen because no friendly corps stood adjacent to the destination region of Rawa Ruska, so I re-ran the turn with the "Evade Combat" special order engaged but suffered the same result a second time. I call this the "magic of teleportation" but don't understand how it could happen.

I have seen the same strange behaviour which I have been reporting on in my AAR. After mtsg a force should return to its original region or to the intended destination. Instead once you press 'continue' it feels like you lose control over your armies and the AI can do strange things with them. The western front in particular is entirely too mobile with forces moving and fighting 75 miles away from where you ordered them to go and fronts changing 50 to 100 miles in one turn. I believe mtsg is part of the problem... another issue is that most battles produce retreats of one or two regions when the forces should be stuck in the same region and just retreat locally... I can go on but I have tried to document all this in separate threads... no real official comment from the developers...
"I can anticipate no greater calamity for the country than the dissolution of the Union... and I am willing to sacrifice everything but honor for its preservation." Robert E. Lee (1807-1870)

Check out my 'To End All Wars' AAR: http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?38262-The-Kaiser-report-the-CP-side-of-the-war-against-Jinx-and-PJL

PJL
Lieutenant

Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:00 am

The Tsar appears twice too when he takes over the Russian Army (or rather the one in Petrograd doesn't disappear when it happens)
Nico - Icon

'From without a thousand cycles
A thousand cycles to come
A thousand times to win
A thousand ways to run the world'
- Nico, 'Frozen Warnings'

Pocus

Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:06 am

I don't think I had a saved game with backup showing this 2 regions jump from MTSG, but if there is one, I'll gladly inspect it if you point me to the thread :)

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

ajarnlance
General of the Army

Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:35 pm

Pocus wrote:I don't think I had a saved game with backup showing this 2 regions jump from MTSG, but if there is one, I'll gladly inspect it if you point me to the thread :)

Here's page 5 of my thread where I describe my OHL mtsg and not returning to original region but ending up two regions away. I don't have the game files as it was about 5 turns ago: http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?38262-The-Kaiser-report-the-CP-side-of-the-war-against-Jinx-and-PJL/page5

Please also take a look at my feedback here Pocus: mtsg and retreats are making the western front much too mobile... I suggest solutions: http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?38446-Comment-on-the-western-front-after-two-hundred-hours-of-game-time

Also, the eastern front becomes a nightmare of micromanaging supply wagons and ammo trains as you advance further from Germany. Please see this thread: http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?38419-Bogged-down-micromanaging-logistics

I'm honestly trying to help improve the game with all this feedback. I believe that my AAR has some good info for developers. Most of the time we have been playing with v.1.01. Thanks for listening.
"I can anticipate no greater calamity for the country than the dissolution of the Union... and I am willing to sacrifice everything but honor for its preservation." Robert E. Lee (1807-1870)

Check out my 'To End All Wars' AAR: http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?38262-The-Kaiser-report-the-CP-side-of-the-war-against-Jinx-and-PJL

The Red Baron

Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:29 am

Hi Pocus,

Attached are the first 3 turns of my new game using 1.01. I believe that if you open "Backup1", it will show my move order for the 5th Army via rail from Kowel to Rawa Ruska (orders given during Early August 1914 turn). The next turn (Late August 1914) 5th Army appeared in Zloczow. Hopefully, this solves the mystery. Thanks.

[ATTACH]32681[/ATTACH]
Attachments
3 - The Great War.rar
(1.8 MiB) Downloaded 117 times

The Red Baron

Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:44 am

ajarnlance wrote:

Also, the eastern front becomes a nightmare of micromanaging supply wagons and ammo trains as you advance further from Germany. Please see this thread: http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?38419-Bogged-down-micromanaging-logistics

As Clinton once said, "Ah feel your pain." Logistics is tedious for EE, too, before your forces even advance anywhere. Several A-H armies gave me the bum's rush as soon as the war kicked off, before I had a chance to strip the medium artillery from my stacks (with the intent of consolidating it for later use in assaults). The few battles I fought quickly burned through all the ammo I had at the front, and now I am shuttling munitions units back to such sunny, warm locales as Moscow, St. Petersburg and Tula. Round trip time from the front: 4 turns. It's so early in the war that I lack sufficient rail cap to move all the troops I want plus GS and ammo; however, ammo distribution to fwd depots should improve once all my rail cap comes online (it did in 1.00)

Return to “Help improve EAW”