James D Burns

Festung Helgoland needs a depot

Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:52 pm

Messing around with the CP and noticed Festung Helgoland runs out of supplies quickly. I tried shipping two supply wagons there to build a depot but it won't allow me to build one. Had 3 transport ships in one stack and the 2 supply wagons and a marine division in another, neither stack could build a depot...

So the depot needs to be added to the map on setup I think, since it's very annoying to have to deal with trying to keep it in supply, not fun at all and just busy work.

Jim

Ace

Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:03 pm

Yes, we noticed that too. The depot wouldn't help though because Helgoland is not in range of other German depots because it is on island. Knowing the game engine, it would require Germany to have ships in the off map boxes that would shuffle supplies via sea. That is not very realistic. In CW2, this was solved by having river supply which could transfer supply to coastal island. I'm sure they'll think of something when they get to it, Helgoland is not the most important spot on the map.

elxaime
General

Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:07 am

An elegant solution for something like this would be to create a new category of terrain, say "estuary." This region would be treated as coastal sea for movement/combat purposes but as land for supply line calculation. But I am not sure whether terrain values can be tweaked like this.

caranorn

Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:40 am

A work around would be for the Helgoland garrison units to use up 0 supply (or maybe one of the units a minimum easily produced by the island)...

And yes, I've noticed that starvation on Helgoland too, just pulled out the fortress guns and will pull the naval recon back out too next turn. Returning submarines are being rerouted to a continental port. Hopefully the rest of the garrison will survive (though I think the island is now pillaged :-( )...

One thing about Helgoland is that it's the eyes of Germany when it comes to an invasion force approaching. The German High Seas Fleet can operate ratehr safely behind the island too. I don't like the idea to have the garrison starve to death, so some solution should be found...
Marc aka Caran...

Ace

Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:48 am

There has been workaround in upping island basic supply production. But since every one will station there an extra sub, or an extra naval aircraft, it doesn't work as easily.

ohms_law
AGEod Veteran

Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:09 am

It'd probably be easier to hard code a line of supply between the island and one of the regions on the mainland. ...I'm not really sure which one to suggest, though. Heide or Wilhelmshaven would seem to make sense.

wosung

Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:48 pm

James D Burns wrote:Messing around with the CP and noticed Festung Helgoland runs out of supplies quickly. I tried shipping two supply wagons there to build a depot but it won't allow me to build one. Had 3 transport ships in one stack and the 2 supply wagons and a marine division in another, neither stack could build a depot...

So the depot needs to be added to the map on setup I think, since it's very annoying to have to deal with trying to keep it in supply, not fun at all and just busy work.

Jim

Don't know, if it works in Helgoland: In EAW you need 4 suplly waggon counters to build a depot. And yes, Helogoland should be in supply anyway.

kroll688
Conscript

Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:15 am

Just wanted to add my two cents, I am enjoying greatly playing as the CP, but it is a small distraction having to babysit supply to one location that is not a point of attack (such as moving supplies to an army conducting a siege) and well within the German sphere of influence/control. I enjoy playing with easy supply off as it adds to the strategic planning and execution for me.

Return to “Help improve EAW”