Stelteck
Colonel

Strategy to consume too much war supply ,

Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:20 am

Greetings.
I'am currently playing russian White in the full campaign.

I'am considering my built option currently :

With conscript and money, i can built regular infantery.
If i have more conscript than money, i can built militia.
I can built artillery or armor train if i have war supply and money.

What can i do if i have a lot of war supply but few money ?
Artillery and Armor train consume as much money as supply.

I built a weapon factory at vladivostok, maybe it was not a good idea :)

I know that in civil war 2 there is an event that sell war supply for money. But not sûre in RUS.

Maybe artillery, especially heavy one (or train/tanks), could cost more war supply than money ?

Something that could make the strategy of building a big war supply production an interesting strategy.

Philo32b
Captain

Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:52 pm

I like this idea. A general strategy of pushing war supply with something that you can get for a lot of war supply that doesn't cost as much money. I don't know what would cost less but take up a lot of steel/guns/material. Higher quality rifles, perhaps? Machine guns?

Stelteck
Colonel

Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:07 am

Let's try to be realistic. What is the main sources of money spending for building unit ?

- Wages/salaries of soldiers.
- (lots of) Money to pay for imported weapon and spare parts from greedy foreign smugler&dealer.
- (A little) money to pay (badly) local workers (uniform, homemade equipment) and local ressources.

So when the weapon is imported it may cost more money than war supply. And when the weapon is homemade produced, it may cost more war supply than money.

I did not know if the majority of weapons in the russian revolution were produced localy or with some parts (or fully) imported.

Possible solution :
1- the price of current artillery&trains&armor&armoredCars to use more war supply (and less money).

2- Create some new units for some fully homemade crude weaponry. Less sophisticated but that can be mass produced with mostly war supply. Maybe some low tech artillery. Or mortars.
Mortar is maybe a good idea.
In my current RUs campaign, i noticed a new unit, a sort of car with machine guns (did not remember the name).
But i was surprise to see that the unit cost was 8 money, 1 conscript, no war supply. :neener:

In civil war 2, there is an event that convert periodicaly war supply to money (selling supply to private partner). Another solution that balance the thing.

andatiep

Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:30 am

Well, as usual, i will tell you that many things will change with the next version currently in Beta, including the War production options which are currently not really well designed and balanced.

I like the idea of converting WS into money, simulating you sell it. I never thought about it (one day i should buy time to play ACW2 :innocent :) . But i don't believe this option should be available in RUS. If the Whites have too much WS, it is because of the gifts of the Western Allied, which would not buy or tolarate that Whites sell the WS they just gave to the Whites :bonk: .
And for the Reds, they were short of WS during all the war and had never too much WS to sell it. And would they have, they could't sell it with the Western Allied fleets embargo...

Stelteck
Colonel

Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:39 am

Of course, it was not very important whatsoever.

I only noticed that as russian white i did not know what to do with my supply of war supply. (And i'am always short of money).

Stelteck
Colonel

Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:49 am

Of course, it was not very important whatsoever.

I only noticed that as russian white i did not know what to do with my supply of war supply. (And i'am always short of money).

Doctor Haider
Private

Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:30 pm

Stelteck wrote:Let's try to be realistic. What is the main sources of money spending for building unit ?

I did not know if the majority of weapons in the russian revolution were produced localy or with some parts (or fully) imported.

The most of weapons and ammunition used in the Civil War by both sides was historically produced (or sold by the Entente to Russia) during the Great War in 1914-1917. The chaos in economy during the Civil War, reduced the domestic production to minimum, so the pre-war stockpiles remained the main source of the weapon and ammunition, especially for Reds. The scale of the struggle, the size of armies that actually fought on the field greatly reduced comparing to the East Front of the Great War, so these stockpiles was abundant.

As for the Whites they had very few military factories in their disposal, so they also used mainly stockpiled weapon they could obtain and the military aid from the Entente too.

Philo32b
Captain

Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:13 am

Doctor Haider wrote:The most of weapons and ammunition used in the Civil War by both sides was historically produced (or sold by the Entente to Russia) during the Great War in 1914-1917. The chaos in economy during the Civil War, reduced the domestic production to minimum, so the pre-war stockpiles remained the main source of the weapon and ammunition, especially for Reds. The scale of the struggle, the size of armies that actually fought on the field greatly reduced comparing to the East Front of the Great War, so these stockpiles was abundant.

As for the Whites they had very few military factories in their disposal, so they also used mainly stockpiled weapon they could obtain and the military aid from the Entente too.

Thank you for some interesting points. They would provide reason to tweak the game with regard to artillery and other hard war material. Indeed, I had read that factory production was 20% of what it was in WWI levels. But on the other hand, I read also that some military production continued: according to the Osprey book on Armored Trains, "by the end of 1918, the Red Army had 23 armored trains, 59 at the end of 1919, and 103 at the end of 1920" (p. 14, Zaloga). I assume that they produced other war material as well, despite the industry being in tatters. But this is conjecture on my part, and I happily leave it to others to correct me on this point.

Return to “Revolution Under Siege”