Hohenstaufen
Private

Why merging leaders with units?

Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:01 pm

Do you benefit anything from merging leaders with certain units? Of course i notice that some skills only affects the elements that they are attached to.
But other than that?

Someone who can explain a little more deeply on this?

Thanks.

Ebbingford

Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:50 am

Look at the power rating of the unit. It will go up when it is merged with a leader as it then benifits from the leader's attack and defence ratings.
"Umbrellas will not be opened in the presence of the enemy." Duke of Wellington before the Battle of Waterloo, 1815.

"Top hats will not be worn in the Eighth Army" Field-Marshal Viscount Montgomery of Alamein K.G.

Durk

Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:11 am

I am not certain, Hohenstaufen, the exact nature of your question. In addition to Ebbingford's comment, unit qualities match leader qualities, like cavalry ability. Sometimes you will notice the leader quality says, only if the commander of the stack, which means you gain the leader quality if this leader is the one in the stack with the lowest (ie: highest) rank.
You typically want a stack to have a great commander, then other commanders with supporting ability: staffer, loyal, cavalry, and so on.

arsan

Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:03 pm

Hi!

Besides special abilities, commanders attached to a unit give a 5% bonus to that unit for each point of Offensive/Defensive rating the leader has.
So a 3-2-1 general attached to a unit will boost his power by 10% when attacking and by 5% when defending.
This adds up with the 10% bonus for each Off/Deff rating point the stack commander gives to all the units in his stack.
If you dont attach the subordinate leaders in a stack to units you are wasting his off/Deff ratings.
But IIRC it's not advisable to attach the stack commander to a unit as then it will only give bonus to that unit and not to the whole stack.

It works like this in all AGEOD games, but i think the actual % bonus can change in other games. But ther is always some bonus applied.

Regards!

bob.
General

Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:00 pm

I hope this is not going too far into the intricacies of the combat system, but do you know if these values get rounded or anything?

Say a unit has an offensive fire value of 3 and the stack leader is a 2-2-2 so gives a 20 % bonus (or 10 %?), will it stay a 3 because it's rounded down again?

arsan

Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:19 pm

Hi!
I have never dared to delve too deep on the combat system maths, sorry
But check here
http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?32870-Game-demo-Guides-Tutorials-Maps-Manuals-and-other-goodies
the excellent guides Narwhal did about it.

I bet the answer is in there! :thumbsup:

toddtreadway
Conscript

Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:05 pm

I guess I am not understanding the "merging with units" thing. Are you talking about attaching a leader to a unit by dragging the unit to the leader so that the leader and unit are in the same force, or is there some other "merging" you can do?

I've done a search of the manual and can't find "merging" with regard to a leader. Also, I've searched the forums.

I also don't see the strength of the unit changing when I put the unit into a force or have the unit by itself. Maybe I am doing something wrong....

Thanks!

Ebbingford

Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:23 pm

Put a legion and a 1* leader into one stack. Then select the leader. Once he is selected hold the "Ctrl" button down and click on the legion. You can then combine the two by clicking on the "+" button that should now be available to the left of the stack panel. :cool:
"Umbrellas will not be opened in the presence of the enemy." Duke of Wellington before the Battle of Waterloo, 1815.

"Top hats will not be worn in the Eighth Army" Field-Marshal Viscount Montgomery of Alamein K.G.

toddtreadway
Conscript

Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:06 pm

Thanks!

Is this in the manual or described somewhere else, or maybe it was added in a patch along the way?

Mahatma
Conscript

Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:42 pm

arsan wrote:Hi!

Besides special abilities, commanders attached to a unit give a 5% bonus to that unit for each point of Offensive/Defensive rating the leader has.
So a 3-2-1 general attached to a unit will boost his power by 10% when attacking and by 5% when defending.
This adds up with the 10% bonus for each Off/Deff rating point the stack commander gives to all the units in his stack.
If you dont attach the subordinate leaders in a stack to units you are wasting his off/Deff ratings.
But IIRC it's not advisable to attach the stack commander to a unit as then it will only give bonus to that unit and not to the whole stack.

It works like this in all AGEOD games, but i think the actual % bonus can change in other games. But ther is always some bonus applied.

Regards!

Can anyone confirm whether the bold section is true or not?

Narwhal

Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:04 pm

Mahatma wrote:Can anyone confirm whether the bold section is true or not?

No impact. The leader of the stack will be, for "battle calculation purposes", detached from his unit.

Franciscus

Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:14 pm

Yes, confirmed by Pocus with a small caveat:
"for all units but the one he commands, the leader bonus will be the stack bonus. For his own unit (merged with him), this will only be his unit bonus (which is bigger)"

Regards
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

FroBodine
Corporal

Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:13 am

arsan wrote:Hi!

[color="#800000"]If you dont attach the subordinate leaders in a stack to units you are wasting his off/Deff ratings. [/color]

Regards!

Newbie here . . . how do you attach your subordinate leader to the units in a stack, to make sure you get these bonuses from that subordinate leader?

Durk

Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:26 am

You have to look at leader qualities. Does their attribute extend to all units in the stack or only to units they personally command?
That is how you know.

FroBodine
Corporal

Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:41 am

Were you answering my question, Durk? If so, I don't understand. If not, I apologize, and will wait for someone to answer. I just want to make sure I understand how to attach leaders to units. I thought if you just have a stack with a leader in it, all the other units in that stack will be attached. No?

Durk

Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:44 am

Yes, was answering your question FroBodine, sorry I did not attach.
You are correct, all other units are attached. But their quality only adds to the stack either if they are the leader or if the leader trait says, applies to all units of the stack.

arsan

Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:14 am

To directly attach a leader to a unit so the unit gets the extra bonus from the leaders off/deff ratings just select the leader and the unit on the unit panel with control key+left click and use the (+) button you have on one of the button tabs on the left of the unir panel.
Regards

FroBodine
Corporal

Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:03 pm

Thank you both!

Return to “Alea Jacta Est”