Steven Hardy
Conscript

Battlefield comissions and unlimited number of armys for americans civil war

Thu May 24, 2007 4:44 pm

I was wondering I dont know that much about modding this game i heard that, game files are supose to be excisable thro, excel ?

anyways, What I was kind of hopping to mod or creat as a senario was a unlmited control, example, no limited on total number of armys allowed or units allowed.

abilty to do battle field comissions example take a regual unit, any unit and be able to promot one of the people in that unit into a leader, that could take control of the unit or mutil units.

If i am the leader the commander and chif of army i should be able to promot who i want when i want as i want :) , and i should have as many generals and HQ army commanders as i see fit.

anyways to make these changes i was wondering what, files would need to be edited ?

I could not get the senario files to open using excel, i could get them to open and become readable using, word.

but didnt really grasp what i was looking at or for.

any help be awesome. :)

Primasprit

Thu May 24, 2007 5:10 pm

I was wondering I dont know that much about modding this game i heard that, game files are supose to be excisable thro, excel ?

Yes they are. However these database files are not supplied with the game, you can download them from the stickied post at the top of the "How to mod our games"-thread.

anyways, What I was kind of hopping to mod or creat as a senario was a unlmited control, example, no limited on total number of armys allowed or units allowed.

As far as I know there is no limit in armies or units. In the game the number of armies and units are limited by your resources (money, conscripts, war materials...) and the number of 3-star generals and army-HQ. (Someone please correct me if this isn't true.)
So you can add to your scenario setup more leaders, resources and units if you like.

If i am the leader the commander and chif of army i should be able to promot who i want when i want as i want , and i should have as many generals and HQ army commanders as i see fit.

Sure but promoting some random soldiers to army generals was in the real war rather uncommon as their value for a successful campaign may be questionable. :p

Take a look to the modding handbook for BoA and the thread http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?t=3974 where I described how one can modify a scenario. So you can get an Idea about how it works.
If you want to apply some changes then and have some specific questions don't hesitate to ask here again.

Stonewall

Thu May 24, 2007 10:39 pm

Your units and armies are limited by the available forcepool. For example, as the USA, you are limited to 48 divisional HQ's. I think the same army limit is 9 army HQ's. These values can be changed. They can't be "unlimited", but you can set the values so high that you'd never be able to build all of them based on the money, men, and material limitations.

Steven Hardy
Conscript

Fri May 25, 2007 1:38 pm

thanks for information :)

I wish number of units you could have was based off by your resources (money, conscripts, war materials...)

would made it more intresting then just putting a generraic unit cap in the game.

that way as you take over more states and collect more resrouces, you would be able to found bigger armys.

Primasprit

Fri May 25, 2007 1:47 pm

I wish number of units you could have was based off by your resources (money, conscripts, war materials...)

would made it more intresting then just putting a generraic unit cap in the game.

There are two limiting factors: the resources and the available unit pool. It is possible to change both in the scenario files.

Steven Hardy
Conscript

Fri May 25, 2007 2:17 pm

Primasprit wrote:There are two limiting factors: the resources and the available unit pool. It is possible to change both in the scenario files.

Actully those excel work sheets that are downloaded are pretty nice, I read manual for editing BOA but well I skimmed it yets face it I dont like to read i just like to do things and try.

lol yes reading is good, If I would went thro tortials, I probably would not have had to start over 13 times. lol

but heres quick question, I wanted to edit, the senriao so that union dosnt attack south, till south attacks frist ?

example war didnt offical start till south attacked fort summter, so I kinda wanted to replay this till south attacks union postion, the union wont attack south or union wont attack south till certain time date?

would that be an easy edit or no ?

Primasprit

Fri May 25, 2007 2:46 pm

This would need AI routines for peacetime (and preparing for a war). I don't think that these are included as the peace isn't part of the game. :sourcil:

Steven Hardy
Conscript

Fri May 25, 2007 2:59 pm

I was reading that u need the The CSV Splitter to format the excel work sheet into, something game can read.

I was kinda looking around on forum but didnt really see the tool, and I didnt see game come with it ethere. ?

ill look around more on main page I supose. but any one have idea where to get this tool ?

number of armys you are allowed are limited by number of 3 star generals so forth heres a question, the army HQ divsiont hat you make in game, dose any one know where field is that you edit for this ?

Primasprit

Fri May 25, 2007 3:44 pm

Steven Hardy wrote:I was reading that u need the The CSV Splitter to format the excel work sheet into, something game can read.

I was kinda looking around on forum but didnt really see the tool, and I didnt see game come with it ethere. ?

ill look around more on main page I supose. but any one have idea where to get this tool ?

Here: http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?t=4018&highlight=splitter
:cwboy:

Primasprit

Fri May 25, 2007 4:35 pm

Steven Hardy wrote:[...]number of armys you are allowed are limited by number of 3 star generals so forth heres a question, the army HQ divsiont hat you make in game, dose any one know where field is that you edit for this ?

The unit alias for the army HQ is 'uni_USA_Hq2' and 'uni_CSA_Hq2'.

To allow more army HQ to be build you need to add them to the unit pool.
To add units to the unit pool you can use the command ChangeUnitPool followed by the unit alias and the number. Take a look to the file AACW_inc_CMN_EarlyForcePool09.xls for the syntax. :cwboy:

Steven Hardy
Conscript

Fri May 25, 2007 5:27 pm

quick question.

I am following the BOA guide for modding.

I ran into this here.

Preparing data
The first step to undertake before using the tool is to open your Excel file with the scenario and save EACH of its thumbnails/sheets, under a different name, in CSV format (see “Save as” options of your Excel software).

Hint
Save Sheet #1 as “ScenXX.csv”
Save Sheet #2 as “EventXX.csv”
Save Sheet #1 as “CitiesXX.csv”

so there is three worksheets in the workgroup
these worksheets are called

1. Setup At start 2. Events&Scripts 3.Cities&controls

So i am supose to creat a new workbook for each one of these tabs so i copy and past each one into a new work book and then save each one as an CSV

Setup at start is saved as ScenXX.csv
Events&scripts is saved as EventXX.csv
Cities&controls is saved as Citiesxx.csv

on to part two

Open the CSV Splitter tool and select the Cities thumbnail in it (see sketch below). Then load the CSV file you have made from the geographical sheet of the Excel scenario file [CitiesXX.csv] and click on OK to export it.
It will create in the destination folder (which you can change) a file called “Cities.inc”.
Rename this file as “CitiesXXX.inc”, using the same name as the one listed in the first sheet of the Excel file for the City include. Example: in the 1755 campaign, the include file is “Cities75.inc” in the first sheet, so that’s the name we shall use for renaming.

so i open each one of these things, and i convert it into a script file.

not sure what to name script file so orginal i just it says to name them what there called in the workbook in tabs so oringal i called them

Setup At start.inc Events&Scripts.inc Cities&controls.inc

I put

Setup At start.inc in the script folder
Events&Scripts.inc into the events folder
Cities&controls.inc into the includes folder

ran game pressed f9 to get into editor and suprized my self becuase my little senario didnt show up lol.

so I think i am missing something is there certain name each one these thigns are supose to be called ?? :confused:

Primasprit

Fri May 25, 2007 6:11 pm

To process the event and setup files correctly you have to select the tab 'Setup, Events' in the CSV-splitter.

Steven Hardy
Conscript

Fri May 25, 2007 8:08 pm

o im dumb it seems :bonk:

Return to “Modding AGE engine games”