Hasardeur
Sergeant

ACW Recruitment of Units

Tue May 22, 2007 9:38 pm

Hallo,

I would like to mod two aspekts of the game any maybe there ist somebody, who can tell me how to do it ! :)

1. I would like to recruit Units generally on a regimental basis - that means that I do not want to recruit complete brigades - instead of this, I would like to recruit every regiment by hand (Infantry, Artillery....)

2. I would like to prevent that existing units get new regiments out of the replacement pool - any idea if this is possible ?

Both steps should bring me more control on my recruitments and the size of my existing forces.

Greets

Primasprit

Tue May 22, 2007 10:36 pm

Hi Hasardeur!

[...]1. I would like to recruit Units generally on a regimental basis - that means that I do not want to recruit complete brigades - instead of this, I would like to recruit every regiment by hand (Infantry, Artillery....)

I think this is possible but quite some work. Take a look to the unit database [font="Courier New"]AACW_DB_Units33d.xls[/font]. The unit database describes the units available in the game. You will find there the information how many and what kind of elements (=regiments) a unit contains. You can create new units in this database which consist only of a single element, these are the ones you want to recruit. After you added your new units you have to save the file as csv and use the CSV-Splitter program to create the necessary unit files.
Now you have to alter the scenario. You have to remove the old units (which consists of several regiments) from the unit pool and replace them with your new single regiment units. You have to check all files connected with the scenario you want to change for the [font="Courier New"]ChangeUnitPool[/font] commands which determine the kind of units (and their quantity) you are able to buy. After that you have to rebuild the scenario (or better create a new one).
If you have further questions regarding the necessary steps don't hesitate to ask, I will post detailed explanations then. :)

veji1
AGEod Guard of Honor

Thu May 24, 2007 2:37 pm

interesting... this would allow to name the units more precisely ( if you recruit only regiments, it is easy to make a database of names from 1st to 250th alabama regiment, etc). This would pose a major problem to th command structure thoough I think...

Or maybe if and when they get rid of Div Hqs you can build smal divs (say less than 6 elements) that get called brigades...

This change would go back to the original idea of the game designers, they abandonned it because it required too much micromanagement...

It will be interesting to see what you can get out of it.

Stonewall

Thu May 24, 2007 10:44 pm

Its not much trouble to do this. The key is to build "units" with enough empty element slots so that you can merge them and fill them with whatever you want.

For example, in my mod, I have constructed a new "super brigade" unit type for each country that can be built randomly in an objective city. It has a maximum of 9 elements (1/2 of a division) that can be divided between any combination of infantry and artillery. However, when you build it, it only has one element, a regioment of infantry, leaving 8 elements that you can add through the building of other brigades or the adding and merging of stock brigade types. Or you can structure the "super brigade" to be whatever combination you want.

The whole enterprise took me about 15 minutes to draw up the appropriate files.

Hasardeur
Sergeant

Fri May 25, 2007 12:17 am

Hallo,

many thanks for all your answers ! As I am not very familar with modding, I will have to wait till somebody write such a mod.

One further question to Stonewall : Have I understood you right - in your mod, it is possible to recruit units in a played defined city ? This would be a real wonderful feature !

Greets

Stonewall

Fri May 25, 2007 5:38 am

I do not know how to specify a particular city or region. Currently, we can set units to spawn directly in the capital, major objective cities, any city in a particular state or region, a city that has an inherent war supply production value, a harbor, etc.

I've never tried to get a unit to spawn in a specific city. I'll give it a shot and see what I can manage. :D

Pocus

Fri May 25, 2007 6:44 am

you can define very small areas which list say 3 regions, each having a city (close to the other two) and then bind this area to the unit recruitment zone.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

veji1
AGEod Guard of Honor

Fri May 25, 2007 9:14 am

Hmm seems Stonewall has a wonderfull mod already just waiting to be published..;

Stonewall ?

Return to “Modding AGE engine games”