Leibst

An easy way to start modding. Add a unit in an event.

Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:22 pm

If you have never change anything in an Ageod game but you want to, i will tell you imo what is the easiest thing to start with.

Change an event

what you need?

Four things:
The original excel file from AGEOD DDBB.
The tool CSVSplitter.
Read the Ageod wikipedia in order to use properly the Ageod script commands (this is the main difficulty here).
To have clear what you want to change/add.

You can find the tools here http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?5358-Official-Files-for-modding
And the AGE-Wikipedia here talks about scripts commands.
http://www.ageod.net/agewiki/Category:Script_commands

Example 1.
You want to add a new unit in an event of AACW.
Open the excel file AACW_inc_CSA_MilitiaReactions02b.xls
[ATTACH]27212[/ATTACH]

Add a new line copy of a previous one. In Red what i have changed.
[ATTACH]27213[/ATTACH]

save the file.
Save as--->Other Formats------>CSV separatted by commas
[ATTACH]27214[/ATTACH]

sorry, my excel is in spanish.

Now you have to convert this csv file to the correct script file.
Open CSVSplitter
And select the tab the arrow marks. Choose the correct input file and output folder (the ones you use to work with)
click convert. This creates the script file in your output folder.
[ATTACH]27215[/ATTACH]

We now have our script file Emergency_CSA_Militias
[ATTACH]27216[/ATTACH]

take this file and copy it into your AACW events folder.

Play the game and you will see when the event is fired that a new unit appears!

isn't easy? :w00t: :thumbsup:
Attachments
event6.JPG
event5.JPG
event3.JPG
event2.JPG
event1.JPG
Headquarter game designer of Battles For Spain, Ageod English Civil War, España:1936 and Thirty Years War
HQ website

anjou
Lieutenant

Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:30 am

Thanks for posting this!

Kensai

Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:01 am

Prompt response, Leibstandarte! ;)
Care to unify Germany as Austria? Recreate the Holy Roman Empire of the 20th Century:
Großdeutschland Mod
Are you tough enough to impersonate the Shogun and defy the Westerners? Prove it:
Shogun Defiance Mod (completed AAR)

Aktivist
Private

Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:30 am

Leibstandarte wrote:You can find the tools here...

Actually no, you do not find the tools there. At least not the acw117a database. I wouldn't check that xls-csv-splitting-renaming-convertig-...-ahh, fish! anyway.
:)

Pocus

Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:44 pm

http://www.ageod-forum.com/downloads/latest/ACW_DB_121121_1.17a.rar

for the AACW DB. I'll upload everything next week.

Perhaps better to mod CW2 though ;)

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Aktivist
Private

Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:54 pm

Many thanks, dear Phil!

Better, I try first the old game. I am in no means experienced to "modding" (except for heavy event-based modding at another very old strategy game from a former partner studio of yours.) And I must admit, editing just little things in your strategy games is a hell lot more difficult. Nothing for Average Joes like myself.

Pocus

Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:59 am

Probably yes, it stems principally from the fact the game engine is complex, big and can handle several games, so there is tons of rules that can be enabled or disabled. I'm not sure doing a major mod for CK2 or HOI3 is much simpler also ;)

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

anjou
Lieutenant

Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:22 pm

Will there be DB released for future titles?

Aktivist
Private

Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:44 pm

Referring to a question of mine in another thread, as this thread ist now obviously the multi thread for event modding concerns:

Column: Name - any plain text is allowed? Need not begin with evt_nam_(...) which connects the event name to a special field in the LocalStrings file I assume, am I right?

Any other column, which field is filled with something like evt_nam_(...) or evt_txt_(...) and is not connected to other events (for that this connection would be lost) - any plain text is allowed? Can enter whatever I want. Will be displayed upon genmsg or gentextmsg commands, am I right?

Thank you for answers.

Aktivist

Aktivist
Private

Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:55 pm

Further observation:

Tried with the CSA-Generals-appearance of 1861 event as well as the Fort-Sumter-bombarded event. Changed the strings with custom test text lines. Both events happened as they always should be, as conditions and commands where not touched at all. The text in the message box now showed my custom text. The text in the newspaper window now showed my other custom text.

Wonderful - of course I do not wanna go wild about all these strings in the existing events, for I would mess up any follow-up event that is connected via string to that name or text. But it's nice to know that one can simply add additional events by just intelligent copy & paste. And name them customlike or describe them customlike.

Last question: beginning a line in the event files with "//" will result in complete disregarding of all information given after that characters, is this correct? And these "//"ses one can put all across over these event files in order to produce some structure for the eye? Something like:

// and now come all the kentucky events
[and then the kentucky events follow]

// and now come all the leader events
[and then the leader events follow]

Will this also work if the "//"ses are not at the beginning of a line, but the end? For example:

[certain mysterious event line] // that command has this effect: plain description of that command line follows

Thank you for your answers.

Aktivist

Aktivist
Private

Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:39 pm

I am looking for a ScriptCommand that "selects" the subunits of a given stack commander.

similar to:
(...)
Conditions
SelectSubUnits = Area $AllStates; Families $famElite $famLine $famLightInf $famSkirmisher $famMilitia $famCavalry $famHvyCavalry $famLightArty $famMedArty $famHvyArty;FactionTags USA
EvalSubUnitCount = >=; 36
(...)

Instead of the area parameter I need a stack leader parameter. Found nothing in the wiki so far. The idea is to have an event triggered, if a given leader is commanding more than/equal to a given number of subunits.

Aktivist

Return to “Modding AGE engine games”