Stonewall

Adding New Units and Leaders

Thu May 03, 2007 8:26 pm

What is the proper method for adding new units (in the units subdirectory) and adding new generals (through the models and units subdirectories)?

I have tried what seemed like the logical way by creating a new unit with an ID number of 991 (last used UID is 990) and named is properly. I changed the UID in the content of the actual .uni file. I changed everything to be as I liked it, but when I went to load the game, I got an error that prompted me to view the master log file. I opened it and it had UID errors all the way back to 906. I never touched any of those files. Once I deleted my attempted new unit, the game loaded fine with no errors.

Please help me with what I am doing wrong. I'll post my sample file:

It is called 991CSAInfantry Bde.uni

Code: Select all

UID = 991
NationTag = CSA
Name = Infantry Brigade
Alias = uni_CSA_InfBde25
ShortName = Infantry Bde
Text = $uni_txt_CSA_Infantry
Kind = $Land
Color = $colCSARegular
ModelType0 = $mdl_CSA_Inf1|4
FamilyType0 = $famLine|4
CmdCost = 3
Pillage = 0
RaiseRule = $recCap
CustomNames = (deleted for space)

Any thoughts. Until I figure this out about adding new units, the whole idea of adding new leaders is out as well.

Primasprit

Thu May 03, 2007 10:00 pm

You have to add the UID to the file '[font="Courier New"]uni_Alias.ini[/font]' ([font="Courier New"]...ACW\Aliases\[/font]) as well.
There are more comfortable ways to mod the game (similar to BoA), the necessary files will surely be released not to far in the future. :cwboy:

Stonewall

Fri May 04, 2007 4:57 am

Thanks. Works perfectly.

Pocus

Fri May 04, 2007 9:29 am

if you are interested in modding, just tell us. We work with excel files, not with these exported files, this is simpler as Primasprit says.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Stonewall

Fri May 04, 2007 5:17 pm

I am definitely interested in modding. Its what I spend a lot of my gaming time doing.

It took me an hour and a half, but I managed to add 25 new leaders last night...and get the game working and recognizing them. :D

Aragos

Fri May 04, 2007 6:42 pm

Hey Stonewall, be you the same Stonewall from the Paradox forum?

Winfield S. Hancock
Captain

Fri May 04, 2007 7:58 pm

Stonewall, I would be very interested in your procedure for doing this, as I have some modding I would like to do myself. There are several leaders I would like to see added, such as AJ Smith (only Union leader to beat NB Forrest twice) and John Logan, who was an important corps commander in the West.

Any chance you could PM me with some detailed instructions, or the files you created for your custom leaders so I could take a look at them?

Thanks in advance.

jimwinsor
General of the Army

Fri May 04, 2007 8:09 pm

John Logan is listed in the leader document as coming in,* rank, late Sept '62.

Rafiki

Sat May 05, 2007 6:22 am

Aragos wrote:Hey Stonewall, be you the same Stonewall from the Paradox forum?

Have to admit I've been wondering about that myself :)
[CENTER]Latest patches: AACW :: NCP :: WIA :: ROP :: RUS :: PON :: AJE
Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/CENTER]

Pocus

Sat May 05, 2007 8:26 am

we will propose a modding handbook adapted to AACW very soon.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Stonewall

Sat May 05, 2007 10:22 pm

Rafiki wrote:Have to admit I've been wondering about that myself :)

I am one and the same. :D

tc237
Colonel

Mon May 07, 2007 3:13 pm

Pocus wrote:we will propose a modding handbook adapted to AACW very soon.

I'm waiting on this also.
I think it would take the pressure off Ageod from trying to satisfy ever players minor adjustment.
Might also speed up creation of new, historical and what-if scenarios.

PhilThib

Mon May 07, 2007 3:52 pm

We know this is a real expectation from our players, it just takes some time to prepare a document with the relevant and correct information :innocent:

runyan99

Wed May 09, 2007 7:53 am

Stonewall wrote:It took me an hour and a half, but I managed to add 25 new leaders last night...and get the game working and recognizing them. :D

Would you like to share what leaders you think need added to the game?

I can think of a handful of leaders I would like to see added, or available sooner in the game, but 25 is quite a number.

Stonewall

Sun May 13, 2007 4:40 pm

Basically, what I did was add leaders who commanded a department or multiple brigades on the confederate side. I also added brigade commanders who showed great promise for divisional command but never attained it due to battlefield injuries or death. In a game where the leaders do not get killed on specific timetables, but based on in-game actions, I thought this was a reasonable step to take.

I'm not familiar enough with the Union side to do the same, but I've just finished reading Lee's Lieutetnants (again) and the lingering knowledge of my ANV command structure and history is good right now. :)

runyan99

Sun May 13, 2007 7:32 pm

Stonewall wrote:I also added brigade commanders who showed great promise for divisional command but never attained it due to battlefield injuries or death. In a game where the leaders do not get killed on specific timetables, but based on in-game actions, I thought this was a reasonable step to take.

I quite agree. I also think that all commanders should be able to earn promotion eligibilty with battle experience, for this same reason.

Why don't you post your list? If AGEOD wants to add more leaders to the game later, your list would be food for thought, at least.

Stonewall

Sun May 20, 2007 5:47 am

I added the following people for the CSA:

Maxcy Gregg (4-3-3) (October 1862)
- Very talented Brigadier in Jackson's Corps. Was very highly regarded by Lee, Jackson, as well as his own divisional commander, A.P. Hill. Died at 2nd Manassas. Likely to have been promoted sometime close to Antietam.

Johnston Pettigrew (3-2-2) (August 1863)
- Took temporary command of Heth's Division after Heth was wounded on the 1st day at Gettysburg. He continued to command the division in the retreat from Pennsylvania, but was killed. Would have been in line for a division after Gettysburg.

William Starke (3-2-2) (September 1862)
- Commanded Jackson's Division following the death of Taliaferro on the first day of 2nd Manassas. Killed at Antietam.\

Turner Ashby (6-4-1) - cavalryman, partisan (April 1862)
- Commanded Jackson's cavalry during most of his Valley Campaign. Was killed in May 1862. Not sure if he would (could) have ever commanded a division, but he was one of the most talented cavalry officers of the war and would be utilized in a role similar to Quantrill or Mosby.

William H.F. Lee (4-2-2) - cavalryman (March 1865)
- Commanded a cavalry division in the retreat from Petersburg.

Micah Jenkins (4-3-2) (November 1863)
- Wounded at 2nd Manassas, he recovered int ime to take part in Longstreet's expedition in Tennessee. He commanded Hood's Division through much of the campaign, and upon Hood's return to duty, he resumed command of his South Carolina Brigade.

Alexander Lawton (3-2-2) (October 1862)
- Took temporary command of Ewell's Division when Ewell was injured at 2nd Manassas. Severely wounded at Antietam, he became Quartermaster General. Likely would have assumed full time divisional command in late 1862.

William Pendleton (1-3-3) - artillerist (March 1862)
- Was Chief of Artillery for the Army of Northern Virginia. Brigadiered in March 1862.

John Imboden - (4-1-1) - partisan, cavalryman (August 1862)
- Famed Virginia partisan commander, he commanded a brigade of partisans. Left active service in 1864 and commanded prison camps until the end of the war. As with most partisans, his appearance should predate divisional command.

Josiah Tatnall (naval) (3-0-1) (February 1862)
- Commanded Confederate river gunboats at Island #10 as well as later during the war. He oversaw the sinking of the CSS Virginia when Norfolk fell to federal troops during the Peninsular Campaign.

William Barksdale (5-2-3) - strong morale (May 1864)
- One of Longstreets favorite Brigadiers. He commanded a brigade in I Corps and was killed at Gettysburg. Extraordinarily aggressive and beligerent, he gained fame for his single brigade holding off 3 Federal Corps crossing the Rappahonnock just prior to Frederiskcburg. Due to seniority and being one of Longstreet's favorites, he would likely have been promoted to divisional command during or after the Wilderness.

Nathan "Shanks" Evans (3-1-2) (October 1861)
- Commanded an independant brigade (colonel) at 1st Manassas (where he preformed excellently) and retiained that independent command until Antietam. He was brigadiered in October 1861 following his participation in the battle of Balls Bluff. Transferred to North Carolina folowing Antietam, his war record it fairly ordinary, aside from being acquitted on charges of drunkenness in combat.

EDIT: Brief histories on some of the leaders with suggested start dates.

PhilThib

Sun May 20, 2007 9:11 am

Excellent, if you can add extra data about dates they got active and where, this would be almost perfect :niark:

runyan99

Fri Jun 01, 2007 6:56 am

What about Chase Whiting and Daniel Ruggles?

Jagger
AGEod Grognard

Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:26 pm

Ok, I am trying to add that infamous leader, Donald MacDonald, to BOA.

I created two new files:
unit file 376Eng Donald MacDonald
model file 376Eng Donald MacDonald

I added information referencing MacDonald to the following files:
Mdl Alias: $ldr_eng_MacDonald = 330
unit Alias: $unit_Eng_MacDonald = 376

I referenced a generic leader protrait within the graphics file.

He is in the events file listed as a reinforcement. Without the leader, his units appear. With the leader, I get the big crash.

Did I create all necessary files?

Also did I reference the new leader in all necessary files?

Is there a guide out specifically on creating units and adding leaders?

Thanks in advance!

Jagger
AGEod Grognard

Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:41 pm

I just took a look at the crash log: Unit Def Out of range problem. My new unit is numbered 376 as the last unit is 375. Is there a limit to the number of BOA units?

ListUnitDefs Index out of range (Index/MaxIndex): 376 375
4:36:27 PM [Critical ] TListUnitDefs.Get ListUnitDefs Index out of range (Index/MaxIndex): 376 375
4:36:27 PM [Critical ] TScriptEngine.Parse Exception caught: Violation d'accès à l'adresse 004A3A10 dans le module 'BoA.exe'. Lecture de l'adresse 00000034 while parsing line 412 : Apply
4:36:27 PM [Error ] THost.CheckLockedGroupsInstantMove Exception caught: Indice de liste hors limites (0)
4:36:27 PM [Critical ] TListUnitDefs.Get ListUnitDefs Index out of range (Index/MaxIndex): 376 375
4:36:27 PM [Critical ] THost.GenerateTurnFiles Exception caught: Violation d'accès à l'adresse 005CAC66 dans le module 'BoA.exe'. Lecture de l'adresse 00000050

Stonewall

Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:19 pm

It looks like your problem is that you have an invalid unit name.

$unit_Eng_MacDonald = 376

should read

$uni_Eng_MacDonald = 376

It would be much easier to help you if you posted the entirety of the files you have created. If you use the [code][/code] tags, its even easier for others to help you. Without the exact content of the files, its impossible to completely narrown down where the problem lies.

Stonewall

Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:24 pm

runyan99 wrote:What about Chase Whiting and Daniel Ruggles?

Those leaders already exist in the game.

Jagger
AGEod Grognard

Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:37 pm

No it is not the unit_ vs uni_ . I just miswrote unit vs uni in my thread post.
Here are the two created files and two references. The numbers 376 and 330 are the next sequential number after the last number within their respective groups.

Created file in Units Folder

376ENG Donald MacDonald

UID = 376
NationTag = ENG
Name = Donald MacDonald
Alias = uni_ENG_MacDonald
ShortName = MacDonald
Text = $uni_txt_Eng_MacDonald
Kind = $Land
ArmyImgID = Army_ENG_Leader2.png
ImageID = Unit_ENG_Leader2.png
Color = $colEngTory
ModelType0 = $ldr_Eng_Leader2|1
CmdCost = 0
Pillage = 0
ForcePool = -1
AutoRaise = -1
Area = -1
AltArea = -1
ArmyNames = $ArmyName_ENG_MacDonald
FleetBullet = Eng_FleetBullet.png

Created File in Models Folders

330ENG Donald MacDonald

UID = 330
NationTag = ENG
Name = Donald MacDonald
Alias = ldr_ENG_MacDonald
ShortName = D. MacDonald
Text = $ldr_txt_ENG_MacDonald
Kind = $Land
SubType = $Regular
ImageID = symbol_general_3.png
Family = $famLeader
Color = $colENGRegular
Portrait = Unit_ENG_Ross.png
OffFire = 1
DefFire = 1
Initiative = 10
Range = 1
ROF = 1
Protection = 4
TQ = 10
Assault = 2
Hits = 1
Cohesion = 100
DmgDone = 0
CohDone = 0
AsltDmgDone = 0
AsltCohDone = 0
Move Type = $LitFoot
Move Ratio = 100
CohMove = 100
DetectLand = 1
DetectSea = 1
HideValue = 3
Weight = 0
ProgRate = 10
Police = 0
CapturePerc = 0
IsSupport = 1
SupplyUsage = 0
SupplyStore = 0
AmmoUsage = 0
AmmoStore = 0
ShareSupply = 1
SupHitPen = 0
SupMovePen = 0
SupCbtPen = 0
VPValue = 10
LeaderRank = 3
Seniority = 52
LandLeader = 1
Promotable = No
Strategic = 4
Offensive = 0
Defensive = 1
AIRole_Skirmisher = 25
AIRole_Raider = 25

Reference in uni_alias file

$uni_ENG_Caldwell = 367
$uni_ENG_Stewart = 368
$uni_AME_EClarke = 369
$uni_AME_Sevier = 370
$uni_FRA_Lignery = 371
$uni_FRA_Plantavit = 372
$uni_FRA_Testard = 373
$uni_AME_Paterson = 374
$uni_AME_Min1 = 375
$uni_ENG_MacDonald = 376

reference in mdl_Alias file

$ldr_ENG_Stewart = 323
$ldr_AME_EClarke = 324
$ldr_AME_Sevier = 325
$ldr_FRA_Lignery = 326
$ldr_FRA_Plantavit = 327
$ldr_FRA_Testard = 328
$ldr_AME_Paterson = 329
$ldr_ENG_MacDonald = 330

Jagger
AGEod Grognard

Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:44 pm

I just spotted two errors in the 330 file. Should be tory and img should be Unit_ENG_Leader2.png. Corrected.. Will test in a second but I don't think those are the problem. As the log referenced the 376 file.

No, just tested and same crash with same error in log.

Pocus

Sat Jun 02, 2007 6:58 am

in the unit file:
ModelType0 = $ldr_Eng_Leader2|1

should specify the alias of the model instead

ModelType0 = $ldr_ENG_MacDonald|1

once done if it crashes again send me the 2 files and the 2 alias files I will check why.

Jagger
AGEod Grognard

Sat Jun 02, 2007 7:30 pm

Thanks Poco. I made your suggested change but the game is still crashing on load. I just send you an email at support@ageod.com with all the pertinant files. I have looked at all the files closely and cannot find the problem. Any advice or help would be appreciated.

I am modding the 75-76 campaign substantially and really need to add some leaders for the scenario to work properly.

Thanks in advance!

Jagger
AGEod Grognard

Sun Jun 03, 2007 3:37 am

Pocos, don't worry about the problem. I have success!!

I have got the new leader, MacDonald, in the game. The problem was in my unit sequencing. The Excel unit file only listed 374 units. The reality is there are 375 units in the game. the minuteman was not in the excel unit file. So the new leader should have been numbered 376 instead of 375........Change the unit ID number and it worked.

Strangely, the generic leader portrait would not display in game. I had to use a named portrait of another leader to produce a portrait in game.

But I now have a new leader with stats and portrait. I am good to go.

Return to “Modding AGE engine games”