HidekiTojo
Colonel

So I would REALLY like to learn to play this.....

Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:15 am

The interface is so different from other Ageod games....very jarring which really puts me off when I play RUS or CWII and then try this out.

I have family who fought in The Great War on both sides so it's a topic I already am invested in and also I am an aspiring P.h.D. lol

not to mention that a couple weeks from now something awesome occurs my first Great War reenactment!

So I have always wanted to learn this game but I don't know where to start, I am pretty familiar with Age engine games already....is there anymore advice that you guys can give me to help me acclimate to the game for someone like me?

Random
AGEod Veteran

Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:03 pm

The problem with offering advice is knowing where to start. If the WW1G interface is a game-breaker (and it is for some people), it's certainly not going to get any better for the foreseeable future so your options become limited from scratch.

The game requires a fair bit of effort from the Player; something that in my opinion, chased many fence-sitters and casual gamers away. Because it is based on a complex board game, some of the game routines like Events and Diplomacy seem counter-intuitive in a computer game as one of the design paradigms was to capture as much of the flavour of the original game as possible. Having never played the La Grand Guerre I cannot speak to how successful that particular aim was in practice but can state the WW1G is quite unique and does have something of a board game feel about it. But sometimes the table is too small, the Cat keeps walking across the board and the Wife moved all of your charts and tables and you cannot find them at need. It can be a frustrating experiance.

However, as written elsewhere on this Forum, I do not think that there is any computer game out there that captures the essence of the Great War as well as WW1G. I love it for what it does well, tolerate its flaws and marvel at the attention to detail and the subtlety and depth of some of its features. Some issues can be modded away, you can find some fixes and mods on these pages but starting with Stock gives a sense of what works and what might be perhaps less than happy.

I do not do the tutorials and did not when I originally bought the game. I would recommend the following course of action.

- Read the Big Manual and errata. There were some Player made help files posted here but I'm not sure where they are or if the links still work.

- Start with the 1916 scenario. This provides the fundamentals of Events, Trench Warfare, Grand Offensives, Production, Research, U-Boat warfare, National Will, Revolts, Strikes and Diplomacy (getting America in for the Entente, keeping her sweet and neutral if playing the Central Powers). If the game has bitten you you're probably ready for a Grand Campaign. If not, you might have spent an afternoon or so of your time and can walk away to look elsewhere for your Great War fix.

- The Grand Campaign introduces manoeuvre warfare (a different CRT from that used in trench warfare), colonial combat, strategic naval operations outside the North Sea, War Plans and initial technology research. With five-potential war plans for each Germany, France, Russia and Austria-Hungary the game becomes a vast sandbox worthy of taking the time and effort to explore.

Anyway, no idea if this helps. It is always difficult to address posts like this without sounding either negative or fan-boyish.

Good Luck, there is help here at need.

-C

HidekiTojo
Colonel

Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:17 pm

I appreciate it, its not appreciated when I make a post like that and someone puts in a negative reply.

After reading into the big manual I have decided that I will put in the time and I am very excited to play this game. Its extremely deep and while I certainly do find the gui a jarring change it's not a deal-breaker.

One issue with posting online is that its hard to read into the tone of the person writing to you. However I post here because I like the community and when I post its in a positive tone like everyone else here.

I suppose that if there are any tutorials apart from the ingame ones that you or anyone else could recommend I will start definitely look at them.

I appreciate the response,

loki100
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:50 pm

HidekiTojo wrote:I appreciate it, its not appreciated when I make a post like that and someone puts in a negative reply.

After reading into the big manual I have decided that I will put in the time and I am very excited to play this game. Its extremely deep and while I certainly do find the gui a jarring change it's not a deal-breaker.

One issue with posting online is that its hard to read into the tone of the person writing to you. However I post here because I like the community and when I post its in a positive tone like everyone else here.

I suppose that if there are any tutorials apart from the ingame ones that you or anyone else could recommend I will start definitely look at them.

I appreciate the response,

I've been struggling with this one. As you say, it is different to the other AGE games and to some extent you rely on that similarity as you move from title to title.

I'd say do the tutorials carefully, even the mechanics of movement and stack formation are different here. Then play Tannenburg from both sides, then the Serbia scenario. Just get used to the basics of movement and combat.

Take your time, I'm finding it really is worth it - and its clear this is by far and away the best simulation of the Great War available.
AJE The Hero, The Traitor and The Barbarian
PoN Manufacturing Italy; A clear bright sun
RoP The Mightiest Empires Fall
WIA Burning down the Houses; Wars in America; The Tea Wars

Random
AGEod Veteran

Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:50 pm

I suppose that the Tutorials are better learning aids but even just a couple of turns in a 1915 or 1916 scenario really illustrate the scope of the game without the mad rush and confusion that sometimes accompanies the opening turns of the Grand Campaigns. That's how I started but the learning curve is fairly steep. WW1G can certainly be worthy of a struggle to learn but it is not for everyone and hopefully the game gets some love from the AGEOD Team at some point in the future. I would gladly pay for a Platinum or Depleted Uranium update since Gold is already taken.

-C

HidekiTojo
Colonel

Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:36 am

I have gotten through the tutorials and combined with my intrinsic knowledge of other Ageod games I'm pretty sure I have a good grasp on things, good enough to start playing now.

Can you guys give me a recommendation on a good place to start the campaign?

There's a bunch of options obviously I have the newest version gold.

It appears there's an option to play as the entire alliance or even just one country, and I can start in any year.

What's a good place to start? I'm assuming not 1914, also im pretty averse to scenarios I much prefer the long game. But I am willing to try anything in order to learn better.

Random
AGEod Veteran

Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:22 am

There are some minor deployment issues with the stock 1915, 1916 and 1918 scenarios, some allied units do not appear on the map although they are incorporated into the game files. Cannot comment on the other scenarios outside of the Grand Campaigns. These come in two flavours: 4-Player (Germany or Austria-Hungary or France/Britain or Russia) and 2-Player (Central Powers and allies or Entente and allies). The four-Player campaign is about as close to playing a single country as you can get but as I recall, you are required to also play certain minor nations like Turkey or Serbia. Don't take that to the bank however, it's been quite a while since I tried a 4-person campaign.

If you're comfortable I would say go for the big prize; a full Grand Campaign that can run up to 50-turns, ending with the November-December 1919 turn.

Some threads that discuss modding the stock campaign may be found here: (Insert shameless plug...)

Modding with JSGME

JMass Graphics Mod Increases map clarity.

Battleships to Turkey Event Fix This was supposed to have made it into the final 1.08Q patch but that may not have happened. The fixed files are in Post #6.

Missing Brest Fortress Fix Fixes a couple of missing fortresses in Russia.

Be advised that many Players seem happy with Stock so do not automatically jump into WW1G mods but I would recommend the Fortress and Battleships to Turkey fixes and JMass' excellent graphics enhancement.

The first couple of turns can be complex and the variety of war plans and war plan options really help re-playability but also means that the war that you fight may or may not repeat the Schleiffen Plan, Plan XVII, the Russian invasion of East Prussia and Conrad's Great Gaffe.

Good Luck.

-C

Shri

Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:22 pm

Some TIPS to newbies-
As AUSTRIA only that 4th Option or 5th is Feasible- PLAN EUGEN is the best and always be defensive.
As GERMANY Schlieffen or Moltke both are great and depends on your style.

As Russia- East Prussian is a death trap, avoid it, swing south and hit AH hard and fast and defend Germany using your many fortresses as bait.
As France- difficult question, defend is bad option also defense is totally ahistorical to French General Staff. Go for PLAN XVI (slightly better than XVII) if you have boldness and some luck.

Return to “WW1 : La Grande Guerre 14-18”