What should be our next game subject. Max 5 choices please!

Antiquity Greek (Peloponnesian, Alexander the Great...)
8%
Antiquity Roman (including late Empire and invasions)
7%
Ancient China
4%
Middle/Dark Ages (incl. Byzantium, excl. Crusades)
8%
Renaissance
6%
30 Years War
11%
Feudal Japan
4%
Crusades
5%
Conquest of Americas/Age of Colonialism
4%
War in Americas II
2%
American Civil War II
5%
Napoleonic era
8%
China (Feudal, Taiping...) (excl Ancient China)
3%
World War I
5%
Pride of Nations II
5%
World War II (Global)
4%
World War II (Europe)
2%
World War II (Pacific)
2%
Vietnam
3%
Sci-fi, Fantasy or post-apoc
4%

Total votes: 1258
Inwe
Conscript

Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:45 pm

I voted:
- Antiquity Greek
- Renaissance
- Crusades
- China
- World War I

I know that some topics were already used in other games, but I liked the AGE engine very much, so I would love to see some eras turned into AGE-engine games. (the Guns of August Mod is particulary impressive)

If I may suggets other topics too:
- the French Revolutions: the first one could be a stand alone or a DLC of a Napoleonic games, and the others, scenarii of Pride of Nations
- other Antiquity: it would certainly be a niche, but a non-Greek and non-Roman involved Mesopotamian game, including Akkadian, Assyrian, Babylonian, Hittites empires, could be interesting; and a Egyptian-focused game too

ArmChairGeneral
AGEod Grognard

Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:43 am

Apparently this is the thread that wouldn't die!

Well, now that CW2 is out and hopefully selling well, I think for cost/benefit purposes:

1 Scenario pack for CW2 (Texas Independence, etc.)
2 Ancient Greece
3 Re-addressing Napoleon either through a Grand Campaign scenario pack for existing products or through a reboot

Additional thoughts:

I would pay for a scenario editor(s) of some kind, notwithstanding that others have noted the challenges involved in this.

WWI sounds pretty boring (trench warfare, where do I sign up?) despite the anniversary.

Engine issues aside, WWII scale would be very problematic. CW2 is pushing the limits on how big a game can be and still be playable, but leave too much out and you won't be doing the topic justice. Also, don't bother if it is just going to be a series of scenarios, it will need a playably scaled full campaign from release (which I gather was the problem with Napoleon).

If you have ever considered straying into fantasy, but didn't want to dilute the brand, the Trojan War would be an interesting idea. It is mythology, and could have whatever level of supernatural intervention you wanted (maybe via cards) but it would still FEEL historical, and in line with your other products.

Someone pointed out that China titles would be risky since AGEOD is unknown in China, but I think that a) that is because there isn't currently an appealing product for the market and b) that there is rising interest in the rest of the world about China and Chinese history so the western audience would be non-negligible. 20th Century titles might be politically problematic but still do-able and a perfect transition to a potential WWII, (you would probably be allowed to sell them in China these days, though likely to need some kind of special approval) whereas ancient China would play to the strengths of the engine and provide many, many scenario options for recurring sales. A big decision about any China title would involve the Mandarin language version. You won't crack the market over there in English, but doing Mandarin right will incur extra costs. The upside, on the other hand is obvious. I think a 20th Century treatment done to your standards would fall on very fertile ground: a large, untapped, fairly wealthy game-playing population, for whom the conflicts in question are the major narrative of the national identity. Did I mention that there is no competition?

Good luck, whatever you do! I know I will buy it pretty much no matter what.

marek1978
Colonel

Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:30 am

Ancient/ Medieval China and east Asia sounds appealing as there is rather compact territory packed with history. And Ageod engine, with the focus on supply would be great for the period. But as stated in a post above there are some external factors – language and admission – involved in entering Chinese market. Anyway it is huge and might by commercial success – and I wish you one, You guys deserve to be billioners having even more fun that president Hollande.

Got a question for developers and for other players. Do you think that XVII/XVIII century wars could be interesting? Could be a good product? With the new more detailed map – like the one you prepared for AJE one could imagine Louis XIV wars or great northern war, or 1792 – 1815 conflict. Or even something like combination of PON, Europa Universalis and ROP…..

czert2
Brigadier General

Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:52 pm

well i got stiked by realy awesoem idea imho :) - pls make game about lawrence of arabia - extremly interesing charakter and i cant rember any game about him, and it offres realy interesing campaign/battles/decisions.

JacquesDeLalaing
Colonel

Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:57 am

I still hope for a 17th century setting. AGEOD is the only company I trust in to make a serious effort to capture 17th century warfare and in general the spirit of the era. The engine is already almost perfectly tailored to this age. Perhaps some additional thoughts need to go into sieges and supply. Other than that, more transparency during the turn-resolutions and in general better documentation would be most welcome.

My biggest fear is: I really really hope that we get turn-intervalls of 1 week or less. Turns of 7+ days could break my love to AGEOD.
[CENTER][color="#A52A2A"] S I L E S I A I N R U P T A[/color]
- a work-in-progress mod for Rise of Prussia - [/CENTER]

Lindi
General

Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:07 am

Next PON in sci-fi and post apocalyptic?

Link : http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?34521-Artists-wanted-at-Slitherine-Matrix-Ageod

With the search of PoN, fight and build a country and all army and conquest, that is a big like if is a ageod game xD

wosung

Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:13 am

Lindi wrote:Next PON in sci-fi and post apocalyptic?

Link : http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?34521-Artists-wanted-at-Slitherine-Matrix-Ageod

With the search of PoN, fight and build a country and all army and conquest, that is a big like if is a ageod game xD

Not my cup of tea.
But perhaps this will make the AGE more popular.

Edit: Warhammer stuff?!

PhilThib

Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:42 pm

This is not an AGE engine project ;) but now I am publishing offers from all our group of companies...

Generalisimo

Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:51 pm

PhilThib wrote:This is not an AGE engine project ;) but now I am publishing offers from all our group of companies...

When I first read about it, I thought it was about "Pandora: First Contact"... but now I think it is another project. :wacko:
"History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon."
Napoleon Bonaparte

BOA-AAR: ¡Abajo el imperialismo Británico! (en español)

AGEOD Facebook Fanpage - news & screenshots about the upcoming games!

Lindi
General

Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:44 pm

PhilThib wrote:This is not an AGE engine project ;) but now I am publishing offers from all our group of companies...

I can dream :bonk:

I can continu dream Warhammer by ageod? :neener:

Generalisimo

Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:50 pm

Lindi wrote:I can dream :bonk:

I can continu dream Warhammer by ageod? :neener:

I think that will be complicated, since you will need the license to be able to use the original name... but i am just making an educated guess here only :blink:
Napoleon Bonaparte

Lindi
General

Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:33 am

Generalisimo wrote:I think that will be complicated, since you will need the license to be able to use the original name... but i am just making an educated guess here only :blink:

Slitherine have license for Warhammer, this is why I dream ^^.

Generalisimo

Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:34 pm

Lindi wrote:Slitherine have license for Warhammer, this is why I dream ^^.

Ahhh, you were talking about "Warhammer 40,000 Armageddon"? ... I guess I didn't connect the dots, hehe :bonk: ... well something like that would be interesting to see on he AGE engine... :thumbsup:
Napoleon Bonaparte

ArmChairGeneral
AGEod Grognard

Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:55 am

Warhammer 40,000: +1

I am intrigued by the sci-fi, post apocalyptic project. That IS my cup of tea.

I also think a dedicated multiplayer server with a web-based mechanism for PBeM file transfers, and server-side game hosting would be money well spent. It would extend the life and appeal of many of the titles already in the stable, and make an attractive value proposition for new games. Online multiplayer is a prominent feature of most successful mainstream games today, players demand it.

khbynum
Major

Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:11 pm

British Civil War, 30 Years War (maybe the former as a scenario of the latter). Feudal Japan might be good if enough historical material is available. I love fantasy games, but know nothing about Warhammer. The advantage of making your own unique fantasy game would be that no one could complain about historical fidelity!

JacquesDeLalaing
Colonel

Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:42 pm

No hints yet? :confused:
[CENTER][color="#A52A2A"] S I L E S I A I N R U P T A[/color]

- a work-in-progress mod for Rise of Prussia - [/CENTER]

PhilThib

Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:37 am

News within the coming weeks...patience :)

marek1978
Colonel

Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:13 am

http://www.matrixgames.com/news/1379/Home.of.Wargamers.-.New.Games.Revealed.

so hanibal and two more games?

maybe just a hint?
before or after 1815?

marek1978
Colonel

Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:13 am

http://www.matrixgames.com/news/1379/Home.of.Wargamers.-.New.Games.Revealed.

so hanibal and two more games?

maybe just a hint?
before or after 1815?

Lindi
General

Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:50 pm

So wait 14 and 15 May for know the three game? xD

wosung

Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:10 pm

"Ageod will be one of the developers presenting in the Pavone Room, and they will be showing three games that are currently being worked on under the Ageod flag. Hannibal: Terror of Rome is an Alea Jacta Est game currently in development, which has as its main focus the Second Punic War when Rome was threatened by the invading army of Hannibal Barca. Ageod will also be showing two other games. One of which will be announced shortly, the other one we will be announcing at the event itself."

I'd guess one could be WW1 made out of/by Altaris' The Guns of August Mod (World War I - 1914 Scenario). Either with help or full support from the Ageod core team. Probably the former. This would be the one which will be announced shortly. Because of all the ongoing WW1 yadda.

If the core team has a new major project after AACW2 maybe they'll put the new Europe map to good use. Nappy's operations part 1 (out of 5)?!

Best regards

RebelYell
General of the Army

Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:43 pm

At a point when AGEOD feels it has the tools to take on a massive project.

Combine the previous titles to an Seven Years War game that spans different continents.
You can fight the French Grenadiers, Hurons, pirates in the Caribbean and Mughals of India in one game and possibly with the same unit.

Z74
Lieutenant

Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:28 pm

The possibility to build a sci-fi futuristic scenario is always open but I'd rather go first for the chinese unification war or Vietnam. There are no titles I know of that cover those in detail such as Ageod does.

Lindi
General

Sat May 17, 2014 10:21 pm

PhilThib wrote:News within the coming weeks...patience :)

know only two game. New to know the third!!! ;)

Freyr Oakenshield
Conscript

Fri May 23, 2014 8:56 pm

I'd humbly suggest the following theme/time period: [color="#FF8C00"]Poland regaining its independence and recreating the state - 1918/1921. [/color]

This period involved Poland's fighting with Germany (Greater Poland Uprising 1918–19), Polish Soviet War (1919-1921) as well as Polish–Lithuanian War (1919-1920). There was also conflict between Poland and Czechoslovakia over Cieszyn Silesia, Orava Territory and Spiš, let alone so called plebiscites (e.g. the Upper Silesia plebiscite). So, lots of events, lots of action, lots of politics, and lots of fighting.

All of this was set within the context of the Treaty of Versailles, Poland consolidating its state, growing tensions in the east (the Russian Revolution and the spread of Bolshevism), and in the west (tensions in the Weimar Republic).

If done in detail, this could be an exciting game, maybe something similar to España 1936. :)

Altaris

Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:17 pm

wosung wrote:"Ageod will be one of the developers presenting in the Pavone Room, and they will be showing three games that are currently being worked on under the Ageod flag. Hannibal: Terror of Rome is an Alea Jacta Est game currently in development, which has as its main focus the Second Punic War when Rome was threatened by the invading army of Hannibal Barca. Ageod will also be showing two other games. One of which will be announced shortly, the other one we will be announcing at the event itself."

I'd guess one could be WW1 made out of/by Altaris' The Guns of August Mod (World War I - 1914 Scenario). Either with help or full support from the Ageod core team. Probably the former. This would be the one which will be announced shortly. Because of all the ongoing WW1 yadda.

If the core team has a new major project after AACW2 maybe they'll put the new Europe map to good use. Nappy's operations part 1 (out of 5)?!

Best regards

Just saw this, excellent guess Wosung!

marek1978
Colonel

Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:29 pm

Hi
Anything on the horizon?

Napoleon?
Lois XIV?
Charles XII?

or maybe PON 2?

Or Age of Colonialism ? :)

Gudadantza
Civilian

Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:19 pm

My point of view is that the engine and the genre needs badly an ancient middle east game that could be based in the AJE BOR implementation of the engine.

I mean a game or series covering the Mesopotamia Egypt Hittite eras until the birth of Rome. I think this is a forgotten era in wargames and I only can remember Chariots of war in the strategic and Fields of Glory or the old Great battles and even older Ancient battles encyclopaedia of war of CCS in the tactical.

Greetings

marek1978
Colonel

Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:34 pm

I was thinking that using EAW map and engine might be the way to create stand alone scenrios and DLC to cover such a coflicts as 1866 war, or Franco Prussian War, or Turkish war o 1877, or Balkan Wars

Stelteck
Colonel

Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:05 pm

Maybe a game about the french revolution and the first coalition to crush it ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_of_the_First_Coalition

1792 to 1797.

It is quite like RUS for the scenario. A new republic that have to rebuilt all from scratch, against multiples revolts, foreign hostile intervention and bitter noble&royalists.

Also featuring terror, guillotine, "levée en masse"/mass conscription, liberty or death, Marseillaise, Saint just, robespierre, young general napoleon for its first command. lots of fun.

The map would not be too large (France + neighbouring regions + somes offmap site&colony. Perfect for a 1vs1.

Lots of historical events, epic political decisions and surprises.

Return to “General discussions”